Phoenix Children's Hospital

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Bob Meyer

Love The Place, Management could be better

Security Services (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLove working in a Hospital eviornment and helping people. The skills learned are very effective for any job. Build great relationships with staff.

ConsManagement could be better, if they would compensate department evenly and not give some staff higher pay for same work as others within. Leaders of the hospital would be more visable within the areas (SVP, actually walk their areas and meet thier staff)

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation for people in departments that have higher skill sets. Example, someone with more experance who make less than those who dont.

Revolving door with NO emphasis on patient care

Charge Nurse (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Pros--The Patients! I loved caring for the wonderful patients and families. They were the highlight of my shift.
    --Some of the doctors are absolutely amazing

Cons--Most of the doctors don't know how to care for pediatric patients and are providing the educational foundation to residents who have absolutely no bedside manner.
    --Upper management who don't care about the nurses and have decided to send another CNO packing.
    --Unsafe working conditions.
    --No opportunity for growth OR education
    --Likes to hire new nurses who they don't train very well are expected to care for critically ill patients

Advice to Senior ManagementTAKE CARE OF YOUR STAFF!! THEY DO ALL OF THE WORK FOR THIS HOSPITAL, YET YOU TREAT THEM THE WORSE!!

Overall Good Place to Work

Clinical RN II (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDepends on your unit but friendliness of staff and facilities in the East tower are beautiful

ConsUnit shifting to accommodate growth and change

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I spend 8 years working with PCH, my working experience here was great!

Clinical RN II (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosone highest payer in the valley, good health benefits, very safe place for kids, kid-friendly

Consmicromanaging,politicking, leadership not listening to staff, favoritism, bullying, ER is not organized, trauma services is not excellent.

Advice to Senior Managementstop micro-managing and favoritism.

Great company to work for.

ProsVery friendly environment to work in. Great promotion opportunities with great benefits.

ConsThere are no cons to working at PCH.

Phoenix Children's Hospital is one of the 10 largest children's hospitals in the nation!

Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEmphasis on family centered care throughout the facility. Offers some of the most creative workplaces for cross training into various units. The facility is growing with new opportunities to deliver optimal healthcare.

ConsSome areas to work in are more clicky with groups that keep to themselves instead of a team atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage everyone to extend themselves to have the same level of training and expertise within all the areas. Do not hold people back.

I am a PCT at PCH in the PICU.

Patient Care Tech (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou learn a lot of on the hands training. I had no experience before I was hired jut my NREMT and CPR. Get to pick when you work.

ConsLots of sitter cases and some of the thingsd you see will pull at you a little bit.

My experience began really well and then when Management shifted it ended badly. Overall company was ok to work for.

Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits and rewarding to help the community, children, and families

ConsMicromanaging, frequent change in Management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and listen more to your employees

Great Mission, Poor Execution

ProsMission
    Service to the society
    Benefits
    Market reputation

ConsPoor management
    Internal politics
    Slow
    Not much value for education or experience

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people with more education and experience

Volunteer Experience

Volunteer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe Volunteer Services personnel are wonderful to work with as are many of the staff. It is a joy and privilege to work with the children and their families. The hospital setting is inviting to children and helps allay their fears. Special TV stations are established for patients of various ages so they can watch cartoons, Disney movies, or something for the adolescent.

ConsStaff is often over worked with limited opportunity for assistance on many floors. Lateral violence is present in some areas, cafeteria is closed from 7m to 10pm which is often during the time when parents can step away to take a break and eat something or just unwind from the emotional strain they are under. HR is slow to hire and often does not update hiring status for months at a time or loses applicants information.

Advice to Senior ManagementOptimize HR system, stand firm on NO lateral violence with a 0 tolerance policy, hire more nurses/new grads, keep hospital cafeteria open 24 hours.

Worked for Phoenix Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!