Phoenix House

Generally supportive and collegial

Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House

Pros

Strong sense of mission. Dozens of caring individuals manage a complex set of programs. Good career training when people choose to take it, including tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Suffers many of the problems endemic to the field: early burnout, crushing paperwork, colleagues relapsing or exhibiting stress, too little focus on dual disorder

Increase salaries, attract more qualified people, use social workers in preference to substance abuse counselors, pay attention to people issues.

Strong Mission, Bad Management Across The Board

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many training oppourtunities available to staff, this is very strong. Salaries are very low, no matter how much they say they are competative, they are not, especially with the workloads and stress put on staff.

Cons

Minimal appreciation, no cost of living increases 8 years+, but there are always senior vp & executive vp's bonuses and salary increases in that area.

Most department heads, supervisors have very bad people skills, unable to manage staff or handle their own workloads.

In a word - Dysfunctional !

Current Employee - Not Telling in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Not Telling in New York, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the clients really do want to overcome addiction, but most are there just because they got caught and are mandated by the criminal justice system

Cons

The management is dysfunctional. Most are dry-drunks/addicts who carry the same dysfunctional behaviors into the workplace. Senior management has no clue what goes on in the programs. Clients are having sex with clients, Staff are having sex with staff AND clients, people stealing company property and do the minimum to "keep under the radar"...

GET A CLUE

It was a learning experience in culture and race relations

Former Employee - Support Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Support Services in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PH had some great coworkers. Some people that I became great friends with. It is a good 'starter' job for those new to employment or Social work field.

Cons

The pay is terrible..absolutely terrible. Upper directorship and management makes sure that they get lucrative salaries...but the worker bees are paid lower than most places in the same field. Upper management is very demanding. It was a job that made me ask myself everyday...'Why am I still doing this?..Why am I still here?

In all honesty Phoenix House is run by a group of people (upper westsiders &suburban long Islanders) making decisions for a group of people they would never ever meet or interact outside of the job. The Upper directorship is too close and basically in bed with each other. HR Heads are friends with Senior Directors and will give each other raises while workers have not seen a raise in years. They will always tell workers that you should just be happy to have a job while they are allowed to have a job and a fat raises.
    The place reeks of economic social injustice...feels almost racist. I felt like they felt anyone who was a minority at that job had to be a past drug addict.
    This place is not past laying off 6 people with families who make $28,000 per year to hire another Senior Director (Friend) that makes $220,000 per year..They have done numerous times.

Terrible for employees, worse for clients

Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm racking my brain trying to think about a single "pro" for working at Phoenix House. The best I can come up with is that the commute wasn't terrible.

Cons

I almost don't know where to start. Probably the worst part of working for PH was their HR department - to call them incompetent would be an understatement. On several occasions, they screwed up my health insurance so badly that I would be at the doctor's office (in the wake of a major injury) only to find out that HR had inadvertently "cancelled" my insurance, leaving me to foot the bill and clean up the mess, which often took weeks. On one occasion, I was left without critical medication on a Friday evening, and had to borrow cash from a co-worker to pay retail for my prescription. On another occasion, when a different co-worker complained that her checks weren't reflecting her accurate salary, HR told her, "you don't have a contract, we can pay you whatever we want."

As awful as PH was to its employees, it seemed to be even worse for clients. PH pays lots of lip service to caring for the indigent, but at the end of the day, they give preferential treatment to self-pay clients, who they get in and out of their system as fast as possible in order increase their bottom line. From where I sat, it seemed like clients were seen as nothing but dollar signs. I would never recommend them to a loved one in need of care.

Finally, in the entire 2 years of working there, I never saw a single pay increase, not even a cost of living increase which is standard pretty much everywhere.

You could start by being more respectful to your employees. On more than one occasion, I witnessed the CEO making insulting comments (sometimes even racist) about employees who were sitting 2 feet away from him. I'm frankly surprised that I lasted as long as I did, but I'm very happy to be rid of this organization and chalking it up to a bad life-choice.

Bad benefits/low pay = high turnover

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Phoenix House Foundation, the organization's headquarters, is very professional and a great place to gain communications/development/research experience at a large nonprofit. My department functions well and accomplishes a great deal with less resources than other organizations.

Cons

There is a huge income gap between the senior management and counselors who provide our clients with services. Benefits are very poor, morale is low, work culture is rigid and punitive, and turnover is very high.

Provide better benefits, a more flexible work culture, and higher pay--even if it means reducing salaries at the top.

phoenix house review

Current Employee - Nurse in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Nurse in New York, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House

Pros

working with the clients is very satisfying

Cons

need more communication and sense of team

see above