Phoenix IT Group

1.8

Phoenix IT Group Chairman Peter M. Bertram
Peter M. Bertram

Phoenix Field Support

Former Employee - Server Support in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Server Support in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Phoenix IT Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to progress if you work hard and the flat pyramid leadership structure means that there is always options to meet the top managers/ directors , impress and make a name for yourself. Support of a wide range of technologies and companies gives plenty of variety.

Cons

As a IT provider protecting the service may be more important than improving it. This means that if the customer does not want to pay for it, you maintain a legacy service and are accountable when it fails.

Opportunities to exploit skills across different companies, and internal use of staff to provide training.

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible

I have been working at Phoenix IT Group full-time

Pros

At this place, no way!

Cons

As someone else has already mentioned expect to be sold a pack of lies by management about the job, career opportunities and the business in general.

Any problems you have will be swept under the carpet or they will try and bully boy you into doing them anyway....management have a mentality set way back in the past. My line manager was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard, I would have learnt more from watching the clouds float by.

My advice to anyone thinking of joining is you would gain more technical skills working in a zoo.

My advice to the new CEO is boot out the old dinosaurs and let some of the younger staff through who do actually have some good ideas on how develop the business.

You have been warned!!

Run them through...

Diverse and knowledgeable

I have been working at Phoenix IT Group

Pros

Autonomous working culture
    Very customer focused
    Deep technical knowledge throughout
    Good benefits

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth and/or promotion

Think of the worst company you have ever worked for…and then some

Current Employee - IT Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Phoenix IT Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is NOTHING to say here.

Cons

Treated with contempt by all levels of management. No training, Holidays refused, Management will routinely lie to customers & staff.
    No pay rises - Even after years of service.
    Moral amongst all stall - even lover / middle management has evaporated.
    No progression.
    Head office in Northampton has a reputation for amateurish behavior & are unhelpful.
    But at least the company wide email from the CEO informing everyone that the toilet has now been fixed makes us all feel like well cared for children.

Leave before your CV is tainted. That advice goes for everyone. Having Phoenix on your CV is the kiss of death in the recruitment world.

Phoenix was a great company to work for until corporate greed and nepotism slowly crept in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Phoenix IT Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I honestly can’t think of one good thing to say about Phoenix these days. Most of the staff are OK but the management structure leaves allot to be desired - All best friends outside of work and if your face doesn't fit, don't expect to last long!

Cons

As I mentioned above, Phoenix was a fantastic company to work for in early 00's - Everyone pulled together to get the job done and customer satisfaction was paramount above all else. In short, it was the best IT company I had ever worked for but now I have had enough and will not be here very much longer. Poor working conditions and prospects add up to a job but not a career. We even have to advertise using recruiters 100's of miles away as most based in Northampton won't touch us!

Floatation was an error - This was primarily done so a certain CEO could reap the benefits and then leave us floundering. We jumped on the cloud band-wagon too late and should re-concentrate on our original core values; placing the customer first and utilising the skill set (we are gradually loosing) we have. I believe we should "partner" the industry again instead of trying to bleed it dry.

Last one out turn off the light!

I have been working at Phoenix IT Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There should be many, but reality it that due to very poor management over a long period, the company can now only go one way.

Cons

Too numerous to list!
    Need to re-focus on basics, remove most of the current senior management and then (possibly) the organisation may survive. But looks as if its being deliberately driven down to sell off.

Get out!

Atrocious!

Former Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Phoenix IT Group full-time

Pros

Clean environment and engineers in general capable and pleasant people. Leaving each day to go home was also a pro at this place!!

Cons

Management need to grow a back bone and stop behaving like children in a playground, daily back stabbing from other members of staff and management completely incompetent. Without doubt the worst place I have ever worked......avoid at all costs. Staff leaving like rats leaving a deserting ship.

Job completely unrewarding and management completely unappreciative of staffs efforts keeping this shambolic company afloat.

All talk and no action sums this lot up.

Appreciate the staff you have left, looking after customers and stop all the petty minded internal bickering that goes on. Take a good look at some of the managers......some rotten apples lurk therein.

Dissatisfying experience

Former Employee - Human Resources in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Phoenix IT Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Receive monthly salary on time. Lunch breaks are one hour long and tea and coffee and milk are provided by the company. There are no other pros.

Cons

No organisational direction nobody knows where the organisation is heading. Team work does not exist and employees are not respected, there's no career development. Training is minimal there is lots of office politics and managers are unsure which managers they can trust.

Review structure and management

Slave drivers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Phoenix IT Group full-time

Pros

Clean environment, pleasant if very young coworkers, the services in place for the client were very good.

Cons

Under paid, under appreciated, unsociable and IMPOSSIBLE hours, no understanding from the management about travel problems with the rubbish M4 and frequent flooding, back-stabbing team ethic, juvenile-minded management 'inner-circle'.

Act like management and treat staff like human beings.

Frustrating, but improving

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Phoenix IT Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Talented colleagues, great services, genuine ability to deliver. Finally beginning to look like a single IT Service provider, rather than a collection of acquired businesses

Cons

Internal change for change sake over the last 3 years and successive re branding has been confusing for clients.

Stick to a plan and implement it! Reward employees for results. Stop penny pinching on bonuses and commission