Phoenix International

Updated July 6, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014
2.8

Chuck Kaufman

Innovative company with an outstanding culture located on the North Dakota State University (Fargo, ND) college campus!

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fargo, ND

I worked at Phoenix International full-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked working at this company because I had an excellent boss who, despite me being a contract employee, pushed me to grow professionally and made sure I knew how to become a full-time employee if I wanted to do so at the end of my contract period. Although it was only a 6 month contract (not contract-to-hire) Phoenix International invested thousands of dollars to provide me with all of the necessary technical training required to perform my job duties.

Cons

As project leader for a major system implementation spanning across all functional departments in multiple locations around the world, I was able to gauge the company culture from a broad perspective. As I became familiar with the various functional departments in each location, it quickly became apparent that each location, although performing the same tasks/producing the same products, had their own unique culture, different policies & procedures, and our "sister" location was 12 hours behind us. Also, their functional departments were very silo'd, even when comparing the same functional areas in different geographic locations.

All of these differences made it very difficult to implement a single system to be shared across the entire company because that required all locations and functional departments to start becoming unified, sharing universal policies, procedures, and even organizational culture. The 12 hours time difference with our "sister" location was also a big challenge. Being our "sister" location, we were required to collaborate and work closely with many of their employees. In order to do this effectively, I had to delegate my project leadership for that location to a local project leader in that company as I could not effectively lead the project without being available during their work hours on a daily basis. Delegating project leadership to two leaders is always a challenge especially in this case because we had the 12 hours time difference as well as a language barrier which greatly impacted project communication between the two of us. Ultimately, to overcome the communication issues, I often sat in on web conference meetings at 2, 3, or 4 AM and still arrived to work by 8 AM to work a 10 - 12 hour day. It was physically and mentally exhausting and I often times wondered how all of the differences were permitted to happen within the organization but, overall, the project was successfully completed on time and with in budget.

Upper management does an excellent job of maintaining their availability to all employees, no matter what their job title or "position" is in the company. This is important because my advice falls in the category of universal communication and company culture. I think management should also make themselves more available to functional managers at the other locations to, hopefully, build solid relationships that will encourage similar, agreed upon, policies/procedures across the map. This open communication and availability would also help to eliminate silo'd functional departments and establish universal methods of operation, IT systems, forms, etc.

Fun Work, Uncaring Management

I worked at Phoenix International full-time

Pros

Work is great, challenging, and always different

Cons

Management is very focused on their own pockets, employees are disposable and treated as such. I was told it is a great place for older divorced men.

Realize your employees can make or break your business.

Overworked and suffocated by process

I have been working at Phoenix International full-time

Pros

Great pay, great people, good opportunity if you want to move location

Cons

expected to have no life, Fargo weather is absolutely horrid, don't always work on what you want to work on

let people have a personal life, open a location in a better place

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Think twice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at Phoenix International

Pros

Third largest NVOCC volume from Trans Pacific East Bound. 16 owned-offices in China

Cons

Management does not value or nurture hard working employees.

Talk to your employees once in a while to gain a little understanding of what is going on.

Homely Environment

Former Employee - Ocean Export Officer  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Ocean Export Officer in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Phoenix International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone works like a family and people are willing to share their knowledge. This is definitely a stress free learning ground for new comers.

Cons

The highest management sitting in the office is rather petty. He comes in late to the office everyday and yet expect perfect punctuality from the ground. Treat him carefully like a sensitive women and you will be just fine.

Change the highest management sitting in the office. He's redundant.

Worked for Phoenix International? Contribute to the Community!