Phoenix Public Library

www.phxlib.org

Phoenix Public Library Reviews

4.0

Rita Hamilton

Phoenix Public Library is coming out of the economic slump with flying colors.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The work environment is friendly, upbeat, casual and modern, and the schedule is pretty flexible. Many part-time positions that were previously frozen were opened for hiring, and hours have expanded to include more evenings at certain locations. More funding is now available for services and programs that were previously discontinued or not possible during the economic slump. Things are looking up!

Cons

There is a disconnect between those working with the public and some administration, but the Director at the top is making good efforts to improve the connections.

Make yourself visible to employees on their turf at all levels during public hours. Connect with the customers in some way. Get a clear idea of the dynamics playing out in each branch and section.

Nice place for college students

Former Employee - Page to Clerk I  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Page to Clerk I in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Very flexible with hours for students.
    Decent wage.
    Working with books.
    Easy work environment.
    Friendly co-workers.

Cons

The huge hours cut for part-time employees.
    Very poor benefits for p/t.
    Those elusive f/t positions that people jump for and then cling on to until retirement! Not that that's a bad thing, but it makes advancing very difficult.
    I always enjoyed and respected my direct supervisors and bosses but there was always some tension with those in the glass tower who seem to forget the lowly Sort staff.
    Dirty books! I love books but people really need to treat books better.

Worked for Phoenix Public Library? Contribute to the Community!