Phones 4u Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
2.2

CEO

work hard and play hard

Current Employee - Project Team  in  Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Team in Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)

I have been working at Phones 4u full-time for more than a year

Pros

the people, the pace of work

Cons

none that i know of if you work hard

A roller coaster now at an end thanks to BC partners profiteering

I worked at Phones 4u

Pros

Dynamic, rewarding, good bonus scheme (pre 2014) competitive.

Cons

Blatany Target manipulion in 2014 massive cosy cuttings all year. Lip service to annual employee opinion survey

They're gone now so irrelevant

Job could have been amazing however the structure was demotivating

I worked at Phones 4u

Pros

I had a good team for the most part of working here. Being able to make a customer happy was always rewarding.

Cons

So much pressure to meet targets - it seems that when you were doing badly management were all over it however if you were over achieving it wasn't noticed or appreciated.
    Some management just should not have been in this job - very patronising and bullying and had no interest in training you properly.
    The commission structure is an absolute joke, encourage you to discount to get sales however for every £10 you discount it takes a pound from your commission, the rates are rubbish too, you make the company nearly £200 and you see £6 if you're lucky.
    The hours are long and they give you the bare minimum in breaks, working 42.5 hours a week on min wage is depressing .

Train your older managers properly. Staff are people and not just numbers. Stop being selfish and only thinking of your bonuses and not the well-being and sanity of the staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Young environment, good place to work

Current Employee - Finance  in  Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Phones 4u full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people, challenging role, never bored

Cons

Tough environment - some people difficult to work with

Delegate more / anything

Good pay and benefits.. awfully treated

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Phones 4u full-time for more than a year

Pros

The commission structure is fantastic. After a year of working, if you pass all the criteria, the level 2 sales consultant pay is brilliant. Deputy Manager pay is abysmal and you can see why they're removing them from a lot of stores. General managers have an okay pay scheme, however a lot of them like to bend the rules to get their bonus each month.

Cons

My region in particular was understaffed, but there was a lack of "want" to hire new people. Every manager I worked with refused to do a late shift or a Sunday, but you can't really complain to HR because "It's the managers choice because he does the rota" Lack of progression in store. Company values? There is none! You are told to rip people off and go for whatever makes US the most money - not what the customer wants. If you can lie and deceit your way to good figures, you'll go far.

Liase with staff more, actually lead more and lead by example other than "because im the manager and I said so"

very meaningful experiance

Current Employee - Retail Advisor  in  Oldham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Advisor in Oldham, England (UK)

I have been working at Phones 4u part-time for less than a year

Pros

i learned a range of skills which allowed me to learn a lot about sales and also increased my communication skills.

Cons

values are very aggressive and to some extent we are told to close a sale quickly which isnt a problem but can make the customer a bit uncomfortable.

Rollercoaster

Former Employee - General Store Manager  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - General Store Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Phones 4u full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

before all the caps came into play if you were running your store to its potential you could earn some pretty decent money

Cons

work/life balance is non existent, certain area managers made life hell

work with your store managers not against them

Please read before applying for phones 4 u

I have been working at Phones 4u

Pros

Discount line rental given by network not phones 4 u lol and great staff.... apart from general manager and above

Cons

So I have been in the company for jut over a year I find myself in a bit of hole so best to start at the start. Minimum wage is okay as a start and the commission structure was pretty good work really hard and achieve a lot but you need to be in a busy store otherwise the incentives are impossible. So let's say a customer wants to buy a loverly new phone and pays x amount a month and you discount some money from the deal and given them let's say 100 cash... my manager will get closer to store target for his bonus and I get closer to mine but you lose 1 pound commission for every 10 pound you discount so if the best deal makes 6 pound and the insurance makes 2 then 8 pound minus 100 discount equals minus 2 pound commission for making the company money that is a real ducking joke also if you want to progress your in the wrong job as they just sacked like 100 deputy managers do a better customer experience haha this company only cares about profit so don't expect to be treated with any dignity and I have had a hr team member laugh at me when I told them about the illegal actions that occur. Miselling of insurance still after there 9 million pound fine. The targets again have been raised and commissons cut. I worked out working for a different phone provider for 30 hours a week instead of the 37.5 hours I will earn more money!!!! Please don't work for phones 4 u unless you have to as it will drive you crazy. If you are applying however for a managers position they will shower you with money and incentives and you really don't have to do much I swear to you my general manager sits on his backside picking his nose and will only help if a customer is in front of you. I had to hemp new starters in the business because my gsm can't be bothered and if you go against them they will put discount deals in your name without permission so you lose all the commission as I said I have told senior members of phones 4 u and nothing has happened. Please please please if you are a happy person who doesn't want to rip of old and vulnerable people please don't apply as you will misadvice missell and laugh in the face of poor customers who want help. Thanks for reading

Grow up and help your team to grow and grow a back bone and stop being everyone's lap dog.

Phones 4 U can offer you so much in life.

I have been working at Phones 4u

Pros

You get work in a relaxed smart environment, with great pay and no cap on the commission you earn. Get mystery shopper bonuses, incentives and prizes when you hit target!

Cons

Targets can be challenging at times, non-stop process for serving customers fairly. Progression for a better career is hard and it's a dog eat dog sales business.

Targets need to be made more realistic for the town/cities the shop is in. The lay is good but not for the stress put upon sales consultants.

Loved it for 4 years but there's dark times ahead

I have been working at Phones 4u

Pros

Commission/bonus can be achieved and can really add up in the pay packet.

Cons

Huge staff lay offs are under way. Reshuffling the staff structure in stores which will lead to fewer people in stores which makes targets harder to hit and will also mean a lot more work for sales people which will further prevent sales people from selling and hitting there targets. It will also be almost impossible to internally progress within the new structure.
    Also don't expect any loyalty. A lot of people have been there a long time working hard and now they are to be left without a job.

Don't reshuffle the store structure! For the last two years we've finally become best high street retailer. Yes agree things can improve but not like this. Things will head down hill fast. Invest in the systems and advertising not making cutbacks.

Worked for Phones 4u? Contribute to the Community!