Photogenic Reviews

Steve Craig

1. The Newbie

Current Employee - Sales Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Photographer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Awesome coworkers, incentives to work more shifts, really nice supervisors, and smalls breaks between ships sailing.

Cons

Schedules are usually screwed up, walking in the sun, and dealing with rude people during line flow.

Advice to Management

Tell people what you mean when you tell them about working all day. I had no idea it is open until 4:30 am sometimes.

2. A place to grow if you can handle the pressure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Photogenic full-time

Pros

Internal growth, great coworkers, overtime pay, meeting people from all walks of life

Cons

Working in hot weather, negative coworkers, negative customers

3. Good for a summer job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with some pretty awesome people and you can do all the tourist traps in the city for free.

Cons

Bad management. They take breaks out of your paycheck even if you don't take a break. Lots of standing and walking. They leave you out on dock without water for hours. Play favoritism. They will schedule you for 40+ hours a week even if you request less hours.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

Racist

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing really. Worked there during college. Flexible scheduling. Can't think of anything else. Have I reached the word limit yet?

Cons

The employee handbook stated that unprofessional hairstyles such as Mohawks, Afros, braids, or dreadlocks would not be tolerated. So I guess I needed straight extensions so I wouldn't look so, you know, Black.

Advice to Management

Get some diversity training. Please.

The Good and the Bad

I worked at Photogenic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to work in downtown Chicago was the best thing about this job. I worked on Navy Pier and the view was amazing. I even worked in The Museum of Science and Industry.

Cons

Eventually they shorten our breaks, and got mad at us if the equipment stopped working or was malfunctioning. Not the best management. A lot of managers and supervisors used favoritism and it got really annoying. The only way to move up is to seriously dedicate your life to this job and even then its not worth it. I got in trouble because I missed a day of work because the snow was so high I couldn't leave my house.

Advice to Management

Management needs to understand that if there is 6 feet of snow outside, its ok to cancel the work day. You should be more understanding of people who honestly got this job because they need to support their family.

7. Not That bad

I worked at Photogenic part-time

Pros

Employees were pretty cool. The overall set up was a great idea.

Cons

People could get pretty rude with different cultures since its a touristy job

Operations Manager

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can sum up this experience in two words: summer camp. I started this job as a seasonal employee and moved up after graduation to a Venue Operations Manager. You meet a diverse group of people. If you take initiative and work more than one season, you have room to grow and experience how to run operations in unique settings. You can learn a lot about business and operations if you can adapt to change easily and work well with a team.

Cons

There is only a certain amount of growth. I left my job for reasons outside the company, but if I wanted to move up I would probably have to move to another city which is something I wasn't considering for this job. More importantly, there needs to be a more frequent form of appreciation for the employees. I don't mean the Jamba Juice perks during important weekends, or the employee party. I mean in regards to the employees who are there for more than a season. Employee reviews would be beneficial and overall transparency would help the employees trust the intentions at HQ.

Advice to Management

Transparency for full time employees. Full time being those who work in the field 40+ hours a week (during peak season). Also, while every venue has essentially the same operations, please acknowledge that every venue is different in their own way be it environment or traffic thus resulting in minor but important adjustments to the operation. There are variables to every situation. Before stopping to question, take a look at the surroundings, and if the manager of that venue is reliable, trust them.

9. Okay Summer Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

You get to be outside in the summer and hang around other creative students. Being at navy pier can be nice after a shift.

Cons

You get to be outside in the summer (it was a really hot year). Low pay, people are cranky because they don't want their picture taken.

Advice to Management

The relentless hours and selling aren't working. It's like the field workers and office workers are two totally separate environments that don't understand each others needs.

it was ok

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i enjoyed the discounted/free venue prices. You get free pictures taken too. You get to meet some friendly people and co-workers are nice. Training is paid. CEO have occasional lunch days and gift card give away. Perfect if you are looking for a summer job.

Cons

working there you will see a lot of FAVORITISM within the employees and managers. the pay is super low ($9.25 per hour) for all the work you are required to do. If you need something steady i WOULD NOT recommend this job. This job is mainly for high school and college students during their summer and winter breaks. The turn over rate is high. if the days at your venue are slow...chance are you might be sent home early. Also please follow their dress code, they will send you home if its not to code.

This place is terrible. Just Terrible.

Pros

free or discounted venue entry

Cons

EVERYTHING! Seriously, everything is terrible. Only giving one star because no stars isn't an option. Employees stab each other in the back and throw each other under the bus constantly, can't be trusted, management turns a blind eye, plays favorites. Poor pay with even worse benefits. unorganized, venues staffed poorly

Advice to Management

Revisit and revise your methods. give reviews and raises to employees who deserve them on a consistent measurement, not based on favorites.

RSS Feed </> Embed