Phunware

Updated September 18, 2014
4.2

Phunware Chairman & CEO Alan S. Knitowski
Alan S. Knitowski

I feel proud to tell people where I work and what we do

Current Employee - Manager Publisher Development  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Publisher Development in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Phunware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management always welcomes new ideas and seeks input.
    Everyone contributes to the success
    All resources are always available to help employees in meeting their goals
    Everyone is willing to help out
    Theres always fun activities every now and then. Lets not forget friday lunches are on the house
    Senior management keeps everyone up to date with the business developments
    The direction of the business is absolutely clear to everyone and everyone works towards it
    No hire anniversary or birthday of any employee is ever forgotten. One can't help but feel special and like a member of the family

Cons

The organization has been getting bigger and I find myself not knowing some of my colleagues. Even though all new hires are introduced via an email from Scott Kenyon. I can understand what a logistic nightmare it would be to have every single one from every single office across the nation in one place. But on the flip side, it also is awesome to be big enough for such a situation.

My advice to the management would really be to keep it up. We are revolutionizing the way all screens can be leveraged for more than just entertainment and we are the only ones who have turned this vision into reality. The best part is that we are not even close to being done yet.

Sep 11, 2014Human Resources

Thanks for your review! We definitely aim to have open communication at all levels, so it is great to hear awesome feedback. I'm glad to hear you are having a great experience here at Phunware.

In
    ... More

Challenging and Rewarding!

I have been working at Phunware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bleeding edge tech in the mobile space. Something for everyone to learn, regardless of chosen discipline. Managers/Directors all the way to the top really DO care about their employees and their personal development. Great group of fellow employees, and office atmosphere has just the right fun/work balance to boot!

Cons

Stay with the train, or you'll be left behind! This is a fast-moving, fast-evolving space, so you can't be complacent!

Keep fighting the good fight, and know that your employees do also appreciate YOUR hard work!

I have been working at Phunware full-time for less than a year

Pros

People at Phunware are always willing to help one another. Even if you don't belong to that team, you can always approach almost anybody. Great learning experience, products and people.

Cons

There are no cons actually .

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top Notch People and Products

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Phunware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are surrounded by the best talent in mobile.

Management is very forward looking always looking at ways to grow and push the company into new expanding markets.

Company has grown rapidly since the first day it was founded in 2009.

Bottom line - if you have the opportunity to work with Phunware, do it!

Cons

Lots of acquisitions and integrations of the people and culture is sometimes difficult.

Continue to grow and focus on culture when we buy companies.

Aug 14, 2014Human Resources

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm really glad that you've had a good experience here. You're right, integrations after acquisitions can be tough, and we've definitely try to learn from each ... More

Best working environment compare to any mobile startup!

Former Employee - Senior Publisher Account Manager  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Publisher Account Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Phunware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Work top talents and brands
    -Free lunch Friday
    -Work Hard = Well Compensated
    -Top Talents
    -Ping Pong

Cons

New Deployment = Bugs
    Need better QA on Ad server side

Focus on marketing & making a robust platform. VP of Marketing is very talented, please listen to her guidance. HR needs help, consider hiring a top recruiter or staffing agency to find top talents in mobile like all the other company.

Aug 14, 2014Human Resources

Appreciate the feedback! We've actually spent that last couple of months hiring some great folks in Marketing (with the help of a great recruiter) and I'm excited for what is coming in the remainder ... More

The Decline of TapIt by Phunware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Phunware full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people of Tapit are vibrant, talented and engrained in the mobile marketing space. The new office building is also on its way to becoming a tech-beacon in Orange County.

Cons

The majority of the team are overworked, underpaid and there is virtually no training or access to events or conferences that would expand the teams knowledge. Since there was zero middle management for nearly a year, an absent and inaccessible EVP/GM in place, and no promoting from within, the majority of the skilled people that built TapIt have left. This has been a huge blow to the office culture and is a main reason I left.

- Get rid of the petty rules the new EVP set out his first month that began the decline of the office morale and bring back the fun that built the company up to be acquired by Phunware after only 2 years.
    - Stop the micro-management and actually seek out the input of how things can be done better by the talent still remaining.
    - Send motivated team members to trainings and conferences to expand their knowledge so they can be considered for promotion. Continuing to hire outsiders for a young company in such a young industry makes no sense as they have to be trained by the people already there.
    - Recognize the people that actually do more for the company than others and pay them accordingly, and not by seniority.

If things don't change soon for TapIt, I'm afraid they will continue to lose talent and it wont be the same ever again.

Grateful to have worked at Phunware

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Phunware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down, the best custom development shop out there, period. The time, effort, and attention to detail this company gives their clients and employees is exceptional! Management is extremely over communicative, but still gives you enough autonomy to shine as an individual, while still feeling like part of the team. The sales department can be best described as competitive camaraderie. The support the sales staff receives from all other departments is overwhelming. I really felt like part of a family, so much so that even though I no longer work there, I still consider several current employees friends. Its a fast paced, ultra intelligent atmosphere, and there is NO WAY I would be on the career trajectory I am today without the guidance and support Phunware gave me!

Cons

With autonomy comes responsibility. They will give you enough rope to hang yourself, so make sure your on top of your game. If you want to be surrounded by the brightest in the industry, your better bring your A game to begin with, and you have an 'A' game to speak of, the whole rope hanging analogy is a moot point!

Sep 11, 2014Human Resources

I agree with you completely -- Phunware is a great company and I'm pleased to hear about your experience with the team.

Though you have moved on, I'm glad to know that you reflect on your time at
    ... More

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Phunware full-time for more than a year

Pros

At Phunware you get to work with the world's biggest brands. You'll be exposed to all of the latest and greatest technologies.

The people you'll be working with are the BEST in the industry. You'll be challenged everyday to bring your best game.

Phunware makes one of the best efforts I've seen to ensure that everyone has everything they need to succeed at what they do, whether it's tools, talent or fun.

Cons

When working at a company that's creating great products for Brands, it'd be nice to see one day if they could create an amazing mobile product for customers.

Great Start Up to Grow From

Current Employee - Advertising Operations  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Advertising Operations in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Phunware full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at TapIt! by Phunware for about 2 years now. The workload is intense but the payoff in experience is great! The client list has open many doors in the industry, i've work with larger brand names then i ever thought. To note: It's great to be a part of a team that works as hard as I expect myself to work. Also lunch is provided every Friday by management.

Cons

The environment is stressful-as most agencies are.

It would be great to receive more formal training to advance operations.

Overall a good startup which expects a lot of hard work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Phunware full-time for more than a year

Pros

No other startup can beat this company's client list.
    Lot of exciting projects to work on.
    Friendly and very talented co-workers.

Cons

Be prepared to put in more than 50-55 hours a week for most of the projects.
    Be prepared to work on frequent changes in the "requirements" or "directions" on almost every project.

Please try to give proper/realistic estimates before committing on a project.
    Everyone here wants to contribute to something new/different. So, please try to move away from date driven development and bring in more processes.
    It will be good if there is a proper policy for paid leaves.
    It will be good if there is a proper work from home policy too.
    Please pay your employees(most employees) a little more than what they are already making as they work more than 55-60hours a week throughout the year.
    It will be good if employees get a "bonus" every year.

Worked for Phunware? Contribute to the Community!