PhysAssist Reviews

Scribe

Former Employee - Scribe
    Former Employee - Scribe

I worked at PhysAssist full-time for less than a year

Pros

PhysAssist offers a valuable experience.

Cons

The company is not organized. Managers are often the same age as you and are unprofessional.

Run dont Walk away

Former Employee - Medical Scribe  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Medical Scribe in Knoxville, TN

I worked at PhysAssist full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good interaction with hospitals and doctors

Cons

Poor training by coolaid drinking peers that do a bad job and then blame the learner. This is a sucker deal.

Get a real job with a professional company that doesnt jerk you around.

Stepping Stone Position

Current Employee - ER Medical Scribe  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - ER Medical Scribe in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at PhysAssist part-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great stepping stone job to take you to the next level...PA, MD, DO, etc. The job is intense, the hours are bad and the pay sucks. However, PA/MD/DO school will be intense, the hours are long and there is no pay. If you can't cut it as a scribe, or you don't enjoy the work, then you may be in the wrong profession. I get to see so many things, work with 40+ healthcare professionals, monitor patient-physician interaction, and have heard some great stories. This job is a commitment, it can be draining, and there are no shoulders to cry on. I would suggest starting this job well before you apply to MD/DO/PA programs or wait until after you have graduated and finished your MCAT/GRE/etc. I say this because the first three months really take it out of you, and your sleep schedule is not very routine. You need to adapt to the job before you apply to programs, or wait until after you finish all of your difficult courses and exams.

Cons

The hours are terrible, the pay sucks and the job can be quite intense. I have seen some graphic things, so if you get queasy when you see some blood, you may not want to be an ER medical scribe. However, there are other PA/MD/DO positions that you will not see such graphic things...but those specialties may be more competitive to matriculate into.

Understand that medical scribes do not have multiple years of medical school experience and are extremely busy outside of this job. They may be more busy than the physicians who have a family and a career. The scribes usually have classes, MD/DO/PA applications, MCAT/GRE studying, the scribe position, applications, and many work a second job to pay the bills. With the matriculating age increasing, management should be considering a basic insurance plan. Lastly, consistency and routine are key, so make sure you only make one major change every six months.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ER scribe, worth it?

Current Employee - ER SCRIBE  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - ER SCRIBE in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at PhysAssist part-time for less than a year

Pros

- real medical experience
    - see a variety of patient cases
    - hands-on use of Electronic Medical Record
    - most doctors will give mini-lessons to explain a diagnosis or procedure, which is a good learning opportunity
    - local hospitals
    - working with ER doctors who are laid back and treat you better than the trainers
    All of these pros come from the Hospital itself, not the third-party employing company, PhysAssist. They provided the job opportunity and then act like they own you.
    - will usually work with class schedule, only if you give 2 months advance notice

If we were hired directly by the Hospital, it would be a much better experience. The only good thing is I don't have much interaction with the company now after ScribeU and working without a trainer in the ER. Things significantly improved after I don't have much interaction with the company and work without a trainer in the ER.

Cons

- TAKES ADVANTAGE OF STUDENTS with terrible minimum-wage pay as it's a for-proft, third-party middleman, greedy company who makes money off of you. The reason they can is because the job is coveted for applicants who need experience so the company milks it.
    - there's a very high turnover rate because many decide it's not worth it; always have to hire new replacements
    - new company is run by 20-somethings who have minimal experience and are unprofessional.
    - ScribeU was poorly handled, too long, and unpaid for at least 40 hours of work. Company always does the absolute bare minimum to be legal.
    -Trainers have superiority complexes, are very condescending, discouraging, and nit-picky, more so than the doctors. I have worked for 6 corporations and never been treated so poorly by peers of the same age who are supposed to be role models. The doctor is the boss, not the trainer.
    - training cared more about speed than accuracy, which is A LIABILITY and FRAUD if you code for the wrong things
    - Every trainer will tell you contradicting, different things and tell you it's the right way. Instead of fixing this, they just tell you to get used to hearing different things, which is not a good teaching plan.
    - the PhysAssist template learned at ScribeU is nothing like what you will experience in the ER, just ask the doctor of his/her preferences
    - quizzes during training shifts are not really relevant or used in the job, most of the abbreviations tested are never used; a Doctor told me he hadn't even heard of most of them.
    - More than 3 problems with HR filing and paychecks. They entered my social security number wrong and didn't tell me until a month later.
    - Company micromanages you from afar. Now required to give a reason and email why you clocked out of a shift more than 7 min late ( IT'S AN ER, IT GETS BUSY) and the work sometimes isn't finished by then if the doctor is still seeing new patients. Management isn't ever in the hospital, they only see timesheets online and assume you weren't working efficiently if you aren't clocking out on time. Now are required to also text the chief explaining why you were even a minute late, otherwise you get written up.
    - Company is extremely out-of-touch with the actual job and most of the management were never scribes and don't understand how the time flow of the ER works.
    - have to submit schedule requests for the WHOLE month a month in advance (IE for august, had to submit all of my august times on July 1st) which isn't reasonable for students who have class schedules that aren't settled yet. Also, PhyAssist doesn't give you the new schedule until about 4 days before the month starts, which is extremely inconvenient.

Is it really worth it to jump through all these hoops (not even established by the hospital) for minimum wage and poor treatment?

- increase the pay, stop taking advantage of poor students just because it's a good opportunity to est. medical foundation which applicants desperately need
    - have better trainers that aren't condescending and demoralizing
    - have trainers teach ONE WAY OF DOING THINGS to decrease confusion
    - interact with the hospital more to make ScribeU actually resemble real ER cases, not watered down cases
    - stop being so controlling with timesheets
    - stop doing the bare minimum in terms of hours and pay
    - condense ScribeU- 5 days of unpaid training is excessive and could be finished in 3

You're making it hard for people to get hired, get trained, and want to continue working for this company. Recognize why turnover rate is so high and make changes that are more in-touch with employees. Not good teaching or business practices.

If you work for this company, keep it short because the pay is extremely low.

Current Employee - Medical Scribe  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Medical Scribe in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at PhysAssist part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only real pros to this company are that you are able to gain medical experience and develop relationships with physicians and physician assistants. If you wish to work for this company, I strongly recommend keeping it short. Work as many hours as you need to gain experience and develop relationships with the providers right away. That way you can set up shadowing hours instead of having to work this grueling job getting paid as much as a fast food worker.

Cons

PhysAssist only pays its scribes minimum wage. Scribes are not eligible for a raise until after you have worked 300 solo hours (not counting any training time). That is a lot of time! I have worked for this company mid time for 6 months and still have yet to get a raise. Even with the raise, you will only be only making $9.42 an hour, which is still ridiculously low!
    The kind of work we do as scribes is mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting. We are put under tremendous amounts of stress, work ungodly hours with no shift differential pay or breaks, and without the work that we do, these providers would be flat out screwed! Even after all of this, to PhysAssist, all we are worth is minimum wage. I refuse to continue this tradition of basically slave labor.

Great experience, cheap company

Current Employee - ER SCRIBE  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - ER SCRIBE in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PhysAssist part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get first hand knowledge and experience working in the ED and with ED physicians.

Cons

Poor management and communications skills. MINIMUM WAGE. The corporate office nickels and dimes you on your hours. They will never pay you over time even to help your coworkers out.

Communicate.

Departmental Lineage

Current Employee - Financial Analyst Intern  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at PhysAssist as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Each individual department reports and functions effectively.

Cons

There is very little communication within departments for enhanced performance.

Seek lineage and take advice as possible improvement not critique.

Amazing ER experience!

Current Employee - Scribe  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Scribe in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at PhysAssist part-time for less than a year

Pros

-You have opportunity to grow
    -Paid shadowing
    -You get to travel (for free) once you get Certified Trainer status
    -Great experience (the docs, PAs, and nurses teach you many things on the job in addition to ScribeU)
    -You may be at the "bottom of the totem pole" but no one treats you like that
    -You are part of the team and relied on by the provider greatly
    -If you're going to ScribeU (Training in TX for 5 days) they pay for travel, hotel, and food except dinner. This is where they will make sure you learn everything you need to know for your job. Great experience and super fun.
    -After ScribeU, ALL training is paid
    -Super fun and perfect job for the college student as schedules are flexible
    -All scribes are given shifts fairly through ShiftAdmin. Overnights are evenly given out to all scribes and trading shifts is easy.
    -This company will make sure you know what you need to know before your first shift. They prepare you really well. Even then, they will place a trainer next to you for the first couple of shifts to help you. They have great management and awesome support for all scribes of all levels (from trainer to Certified Trainer) which makes you feel great. After training is over, other scribes will help you as we are all part of a team.

Cons

-Minimum wage at the beginning for awhile (until you accumulate a certain amount of hours)
    -ScribeU Training is not paid
    -Dinner during ScribeU is on you
    -Part time doesn't get too many shifts

Somewhat higher pay would be nice

scribe

I have been working at PhysAssist

Pros

Get first-hand experience with ER docs

Cons

Not enough to pay for your rent.

Good ER Experience, Poor Pay and Scheduling

Former Employee - Scribe  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Scribe in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at PhysAssist full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was fun working with some of the doctors.

Overnights are more fun than days.

Cons

Quarterly reviews on which it is IMPOSSIBLE to be perfect. I am not a perfectionist, but I find having a policy like this petty. The fact that it is impossible was confirmed to me by the local manager (Chief Scribe).

Time sink: A lot of 'out of work time' is required to FIX the schedule they give you by trading with other scribes as they ignore your schedule preferences half the time.

There is a boring monthly meeting for which you just review company policy and talk about about new phrases to put in your chart so that the hospital can make more money or cover themselves legally. I felt put off by being actively involved in this, though it was not outright medical fraud. It just didn't feel right.

They can't take a suggestion. You can't argue with these people. They just spout back the same company garbage over and over until you give up with the point your trying to make.

Get better scheduling or better wages or both. Stop taking advantage of students and those that are pre-med/healthcare.

Worked for PhysAssist? Contribute to the Community!