Physicians Mutual Insurance

Physicians Mutual Insurance Reviews

Updated July 19, 2014
Updated July 19, 2014

3.4

Physicians Mutual Insurance President and CEO, Physicians Mutual Insurance and Physicians Life Insurance Robert A. Reed Sr.
Robert A. Reed Sr.

Great place to work

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team and compensation in my time there

Cons

Corporate enviroment creates slow movement or advancement

Good pay, nice lunchroom, nice people but not much room for advancement

Former Employee - Telesales Agent  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starting pay is good. Upper management and owners are generally friendly. They do try and make the job fun. Also very involved in the local community. Lots of activities and the lunch room is nice.

Cons

Benefits could be better for an insurance company. While the starting salary wasn't bad the insurance was expensive. Was there for 2 years and even though the project we were working on was going well the owners decided to cancel it. In my opinion it was because the field sales team didn't like the competition.

Keep a close eye on middle management. Some of these guys spend more time on their iphone/ipads then actually working.

Very knowledgeable about the insurance industry.

Former Employee - Independent Insurance Agent  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Independent Insurance Agent in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly Knowledgeable Employer. Many of the Agents were willing to help by encouragement. Very thorough training that gave lots of insight to the industry.

Cons

Unable to contact clients of a retired agent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long-term experience

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Work environment, location, best supervisor one could ask for

Cons

Stuck in a no-promote position. Amount of work doesn't seem to coincide with pay.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" shouldn't apply to all jobs. Some of us need a chance to grow, promote, excel - not just to maintain. It's actually OK to pay more than the others in the area to keep employees motivated and excited. Sometimes, it seems a little tight.

I was mislead about earnings and very dissatisfied.

Current Employee - Sales Agent  in  Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the flexibility of organizing my productivity planner however did not appreciate emails, calls and texts on Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon while the home office was closed.

Cons

I was hired with 2 other employes and our evaluation was lack of training and poor quality leads.

I expect an exciting, challenging and rewarding career with the best sales training and leads to help me perform my best. I am a top performer and excel in reaching goals with the right tools.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Producer
    Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Excellent company!! Very supportive! Very engaged in the success of it's agents and the satisfaction of our customers. They seem to have it right- Customers first, then frontline people, THEN management.

Cons

The copy machine that is there for agent's use is junk, and has probably needed to be replaced 5 years ago.

Keep up the good work. Please don't ever loose sight of your frontline people. Don't cut commissions or require more production for the same commissions. In other words, things are at a fair medium, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

If you work in the IT field, do yourself a favour and stay away from this company

Current Employee - IT/Technology  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT/Technology in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will have job. If you are an IT developer/Programmer, you would have some latest buzz words and hot tools / skill-sets to add to your resume. There is a fitness center in the home office and a fairly nice wellness program. Ample parking space and a cafeteria in the home office. Vacation policy is fairly good. You can have a good work-life balance.

Cons

Highly toxic work culture. Bad politics all around, especially in the IT department. Too much nepotism and favouritism in the IT group. People get promoted and get senior level positions without regard to any merit whatsoever. There are some really good programmers at the bottom of the chain, and some really average and mediocre folks that are at the senior level position and run the show. Culture seems to be "about who you know, and NOT what you know". IT executives seems clueless or don't care much about improving the work culture. They adopted agile, but function in a typical hegemonious command-and-control work culture.

Nothing really. There is no use. They ain't gonna hear !!

Terrible asst managers who do not know what they are doing and the District manager blows smoke up your arse.

Former Employee - Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited income lots of potential people to see

Cons

bad training most products are not competitive

Get real with people

I loved working for this Company.

Former Employee - Outbound Teleservice Representative  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Outbound Teleservice Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexibility of shifts, rewards and acknowledgements

Cons

not being able to take my job with me.

100% commission based, no paid training, cold calls and no benefits.

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Make your own schedule/work from home

Cons

Have to pay for your own state certification (roughly 25 hours of online classes and approximately $300), and their training is not paid since you are a "contracted employee", which also conveniently means that they don't have to give you benefits. They say that they give you hot leads, which they do (usually 1-5 per week, most don't remember that they responded and are not expecting your call) but then they provide you with a huge list people to cold call as well (you are expected to schedule 3-5 appointments per day, you do the math). It seems that they are looking for experienced insurance salespeople who, for whatever reason, want to switch companies, based on their compensation structure, and (lack of) training regiment.

Don't waste everyone's time recruiting anyone other than experienced reps.

Worked for Physicians Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!