Physicians Mutual Insurance

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.4

Rob Reed

Technology positions bring variety with lot of tools, but people and process move at speed of insurance!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are on the right team, technology positions involve working on variety of technology. Junior to senior positions have the freedom to be involved in playing with different tools / platforms. That provides a challenge for the ones interested. People are generally helpful. Culture has vastly improved. New-er and better process have emerged, but not enough! Company's solid financial stability provides job security. Adoption of agile practices.

Cons

Team/People are generally silos working on same set of business application and rarely get a chance to do something different. More projects or teams created are the only way. This company like other insurance companies have their own set ways (old mentalities) of doing things and it is difficult to change that. There is office politics and chances of improvements might get lost in there. But this slow speed might feel more intentional since that is how business has been run.

Consider people more than processes. Right people being at the right place and listening to them at the right time helps make better decision.

Agent

Former Employee - Sales Agent in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training was good at the office. Good people to work for locally. Product was good, fair priced and well supported by the home office.

Cons

Once in the field with another agent, even if a sale was made, I never saw my share of the commission. No warm calls, all were called either door to door, or on Friday with a callathon. Product was a medicaid supplement. This is not the companies fault, however, by law each medicare supplement had to provide the same coverage as every other company. The only thing to sell on were price and customer service.

For me the biggest con was it is 100% commision. Like any full commision job, you live hungry until you get your customer base built. It can be lucrative, I just did not have the resources to say with them and build that customer base.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, decent pay, good parking for downtown and flex time.

Cons

Insurance benefits could be better, food in cafeteria is over priced and some employees need to be managed better.

Track the amount of time your employees spend working out, getting water and socializing.

Good pay, nice lunchroom, nice people but not much room for advancement

Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is good. Upper management and owners are generally friendly. They do try and make the job fun. Also very involved in the local community. Lots of activities and the lunch room is nice.

Cons

Benefits could be better for an insurance company. While the starting salary wasn't bad the insurance was expensive. Was there for 2 years and even though the project we were working on was going well the owners decided to cancel it. In my opinion it was because the field sales team didn't like the competition.

Keep a close eye on middle management. Some of these guys spend more time on their iphone/ipads then actually working.

Great place to work

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team and compensation in my time there

Cons

Corporate enviroment creates slow movement or advancement

Very knowledgeable about the insurance industry.

Former Employee - Independent Insurance Agent in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Independent Insurance Agent in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly Knowledgeable Employer. Many of the Agents were willing to help by encouragement. Very thorough training that gave lots of insight to the industry.

Cons

Unable to contact clients of a retired agent.

Long-term experience

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Work environment, location, best supervisor one could ask for

Cons

Stuck in a no-promote position. Amount of work doesn't seem to coincide with pay.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" shouldn't apply to all jobs. Some of us need a chance to grow, promote, excel - not just to maintain. It's actually OK to pay more than the others in the area to keep employees motivated and excited. Sometimes, it seems a little tight.

I was mislead about earnings and very dissatisfied.

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the flexibility of organizing my productivity planner however did not appreciate emails, calls and texts on Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon while the home office was closed.

Cons

I was hired with 2 other employes and our evaluation was lack of training and poor quality leads.

I expect an exciting, challenging and rewarding career with the best sales training and leads to help me perform my best. I am a top performer and excel in reaching goals with the right tools.

If you work in the IT field, do yourself a favour and stay away from this company

Current Employee - IT/Technology in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT/Technology in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will have job. If you are an IT developer/Programmer, you would have some latest buzz words and hot tools / skill-sets to add to your resume. There is a fitness center in the home office and a fairly nice wellness program. Ample parking space and a cafeteria in the home office. Vacation policy is fairly good. You can have a good work-life balance.

Cons

Highly toxic work culture. Bad politics all around, especially in the IT department. Too much nepotism and favouritism in the IT group. People get promoted and get senior level positions without regard to any merit whatsoever. There are some really good programmers at the bottom of the chain, and some really average and mediocre folks that are at the senior level position and run the show. Culture seems to be "about who you know, and NOT what you know". IT executives seems clueless or don't care much about improving the work culture. They adopted agile, but function in a typical hegemonious command-and-control work culture.

Nothing really. There is no use. They ain't gonna hear !!

I love my job!

Current Employee - Producer
    Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent company!! Very supportive! Very engaged in the success of it's agents and the satisfaction of our customers. They seem to have it right- Customers first, then frontline people, THEN management.

Cons

The copy machine that is there for agent's use is junk, and has probably needed to be replaced 5 years ago.

Keep up the good work. Please don't ever loose sight of your frontline people. Don't cut commissions or require more production for the same commissions. In other words, things are at a fair medium, don't bite the hand that feeds you.