Physicians Mutual Insurance

1. PMIC Evaluation

Former Employee - Insurance Agent/Field Trainer in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent/Field Trainer in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Congenial atmosphere, and total freedom to target any area of the City.

Cons

Limited product offering, which in turn limits earnings.

Advice to Management

Expand product offering, and offer better quality prospects

2. Great Company

Current Employee - Telesales Agent
    Current Employee - Telesales Agent

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a very laid back easy environment to work in. People were vert friendly

Cons

Too much micromanaging. A boss lied on me and said I was sleeping at my desk

Advice to Management

Have a mind of your own

3. Technology positions bring variety with lot of tools, but people and process move at speed of insurance!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are on the right team, technology positions involve working on variety of technology. Junior to senior positions have the freedom to be involved in playing with different tools / platforms. That provides a challenge for the ones interested. People are generally helpful. Culture has vastly improved. New-er and better process have emerged, but not enough! Company's solid financial stability provides job security. Adoption of agile practices.

Cons

Team/People are generally silos working on same set of business application and rarely get a chance to do something different. More projects or teams created are the only way. This company like other insurance companies have their own set ways (old mentalities) of doing things and it is difficult to change that. There is office politics and chances of improvements might get lost in there. But this slow speed might feel more intentional since that is how business has been run.

Advice to Management

Consider people more than processes. Right people being at the right place and listening to them at the right time helps make better decision.

Agent

Former Employee - Sales Agent in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was good at the office. Good people to work for locally. Product was good, fair priced and well supported by the home office.

Cons

Once in the field with another agent, even if a sale was made, I never saw my share of the commission. No warm calls, all were called either door to door, or on Friday with a callathon. Product was a medicaid supplement. This is not the companies fault, however, by law each medicare supplement had to provide the same coverage as every other company. The only thing to sell on were price and customer service. For me the biggest con was it is 100% commision. Like any full commision job, you live hungry until you get your customer base built. It can be lucrative, I just did not have the resources to say with them and build that customer base.

6. Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, decent pay, good parking for downtown and flex time.

Cons

Insurance benefits could be better, food in cafeteria is over priced and some employees need to be managed better.

Advice to Management

Track the amount of time your employees spend working out, getting water and socializing.

Good pay, nice lunchroom, nice people but not much room for advancement

Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is good. Upper management and owners are generally friendly. They do try and make the job fun. Also very involved in the local community. Lots of activities and the lunch room is nice.

Cons

Benefits could be better for an insurance company. While the starting salary wasn't bad the insurance was expensive. Was there for 2 years and even though the project we were working on was going well the owners decided to cancel it. In my opinion it was because the field sales team didn't like the competition.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on middle management. Some of these guys spend more time on their iphone/ipads then actually working.

8. Great place to work

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team and compensation in my time there

Cons

Corporate enviroment creates slow movement or advancement

Very knowledgeable about the insurance industry.

Former Employee - Independent Insurance Agent in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Independent Insurance Agent in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Knowledgeable Employer. Many of the Agents were willing to help by encouragement. Very thorough training that gave lots of insight to the industry.

Cons

Unable to contact clients of a retired agent.

I was mislead about earnings and very dissatisfied.

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the flexibility of organizing my productivity planner however did not appreciate emails, calls and texts on Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon while the home office was closed.

Cons

I was hired with 2 other employes and our evaluation was lack of training and poor quality leads.

Advice to Management

I expect an exciting, challenging and rewarding career with the best sales training and leads to help me perform my best. I am a top performer and excel in reaching goals with the right tools.

Long-term experience

I have been working at Physicians Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Work environment, location, best supervisor one could ask for

Cons

Stuck in a no-promote position. Amount of work doesn't seem to coincide with pay.

Advice to Management

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" shouldn't apply to all jobs. Some of us need a chance to grow, promote, excel - not just to maintain. It's actually OK to pay more than the others in the area to keep employees motivated and excited. Sometimes, it seems a little tight.

RSS Feed </> Embed