Physio-Control

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
2.6

Brian Webster

Pros
  • Helping to make life-saving products is very rewarding in and of itself (in 7 reviews)

• Great HR department and work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It used to be a good company to work for, but not any more after it fully divested from Medtronic (in 3 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover in Finance and HR (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved my job. Gave a lot of perks.

I worked at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

Loved my job. It offered a lot of challenge. Never boring. Company gave a lot of perks. Loved the inspirational stories of lives that were saved.

Cons

Disorganized. Not a lot of training. Unfortunately I didn't get much of a chance to know the business.

Organization. Business has so much potential but the management needs to understand organization from the ground up.

My experience at Physio-Control is 100% positive.

Former Employee - Customer Finance  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Finance in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The best part working there is learning about the product and how much it is so much needed globally.

Cons

Being a contract worker you do not have a chance to embed your self and acquire the values of the company

Keep outstanding people to help improve your ebitda. Long term Goals are most important, and when budget is questioned, one must look at the whole picture to see if the current situation will get better.

A great internship experience.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They have a very focused internship program that pairs you with a mentor and a specific project you can put your name on. Projects usually have a good impact and are not just busy work. The atmosphere is fun and they have a games and lounge area by the cafeteria. This company takes risks on people that are passionate and willing to prove themselves.

Cons

Human resources seems to take a long time to get around to giving you an offer. The internship program is geared more towards students that have another year left so they can take their time in opening up positions.

For interns that are recently graduated, make up your mind quickly whether you want to hire someone or not. Recent grads shouldn't have to wait around for months after the internship.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intense workplace worth the time in

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Physio exposes you to how a company operates in a truly competitive industry. Even though it's a B2B firm, you really see how to design products and services for the customer.

Cons

You really have to understand how to be passionate about your job because there are no easy roles or roles where you can expect to clock in and out.

Show more support for people who can create change.

Don't Reccomend

Former Employee - Distribution  in  Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Distribution in Bothell, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not much, besides the coworkers I worked with at my level.

Cons

Too many cliques. Seems while I was there certain groups would hang out with each other and there was too much separation between teams. Having quarterly meetings brought those teams together and everything was dandy, but then when it was over there was that separation again.

Terrible management. If you don't see eye-to-eye with your manager, you won't go far. Even though they stress improvements and welcome new ideas. If their not their ideas you are frowned on, unless you are close and tight with that manager. Managers have there favorites at Physio, I was witness to it towards the end of my employment. This is why I left. My hard work was overlooked.

The real hard workers are not rewarded at this company. Every award given at company meetings are to the same people who don't really do anything. These hard workers are not rewarded with promotions, instead managers bring in friends from outside the company who have no knowledge of the product or process.

The product is great at the company, however we cannot spend money on the tools needed to efficiently send product to the customers, or keep an accurate inventory. This was the worst inventory system I have been witnessed to. The system (QAD) would shut down on average 2-3 times a month and would slow down production. This created a lot of stress for the distribution team.

Employees are scared to bring concerns to their managers in fear that their job would be in jeopardy. I know I was.

Company would spend money on special functions, but would not spend the money on essentials. Still living in the past need to update tools to work efficiently.

The split from Medtronic was a mistake. The change brought headaches with our distribution team and slowed the process. Their were days we had to wait for the offsite warehouse to ship before we could ship from our end. This caused delays to our customers, which added to customer frustration. We would ship the same order twice, but from two different warehouses, whereas before, we sent the order once from one warehouse.

Pay attention to the little man. They can add value to the company as well. Build a warehouse on site. Promote the right people from within that are willing...there are plenty that would seize the opportunity. Too many of the good workers are leaving the company.

It's medical...everything is slow

Former Employee - Intern  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People seemed fired up to work there. I enjoyed having the assembly line in the bottom floor; it was neat stuff was made on site.

Cons

How many different ways can you talk about heart defibrillators? It got kind of boring after a while.

They seemed to have good folks in charge. As an intern i asked to meet with senior executives, and they took the time to have lunch with me which was nice.

Great Products! Greater Mission! The best is yet to come!

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company and the commitment team members have is the reason people stay for a long time. Best group of people I have found to work with in my over 40 years of working. Company is changing the culture somewhat to attract early/mid career talent which seems to be working. Engineering has a great leader and a good management team. Love the fact the Bain is making such an investment in products and their people.

Cons

The problems that the company has are easily solved with time, patience and some money to solve them. Leadership seems to be embracing change that will benefit the company and moving it forward.

Continue to be open to change, as you listen to your people. Keep the faith, large ships turn slowly.

Great Outlook for this Medical Technology Company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great HR department and work life balance. The company has a cafeteria, a gym, and many other amenities. Company is going through some additional growing pains, so as long as they continue to hire quality, team members with good positive attitude, they should be fine ( a few rotten apples can ruin the whole tree).

Cons

Typical things associated with a company thats growing and making positive changes. But positive outlook outweighs the temporary growing pains.

-Continue to hire only quality, positive, educated personel through university intermship programs & other quality channel specific means (avoiding channels such as Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com types). Continue to strengthen compliance/reputation through training of team members and a strong LEGAL department thats proactive.

Talking the talk...just for the sake of hearing their own voice

I worked at Physio-Control for more than a year

Pros

Products designed for the noblest of purposes, designed by and supported by people who want to make a difference...

Cons

...unfortunately, the people who want to make a difference, by and large, happen not to be senior management. Management is very good with laying out the corporate mission and using all the buzzwords and following all of the trends, but is horrible in placing a value on its most valuable assets, its employees. Leadership in Operations has seen a high amount of turnover, with those promoted internally to backfill the open positions often having a desperate, scared look in their eyes, quickly becoming bullies and yes-man in order to survive. Unfortunately, things on the G&A side are even worse. The CFO (who also is over IT) looks at his team as replaceable pieces, not caring in the least about team member development, satisfaction or retention; what he does care about is his impending payoff that will occur when Bain is able to flip the co. And the only department w/in the co. with a higher turnover than Finance? HR, which should be painfully telling. Morale is very, very poor.

Listen to your people. Stop punishing them or firing them when they speak up and try to do the right thing (defined as the most ethical and/or in the best LT interest of the co., not in the best interest of management's incentive bonuses). Be more responsive to all QA issues (not just the ones that more high profile),. Pay more attention to how the co. is spending its R&D and capital $. Bring in a strong and highly competent HR VP. And send the CFO packing, replacing him with somebody who is not egocentric and only out for himself; good employees are not disposable...don't treat them that way.

Extremely under-staffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company has good benefits and a nice campus.

Cons

An atmosphere of intimidation permeates all divisions. Being extremely under-staffed, long hours are a requirement. Use them up, burn them out, and spit them out is the way of life. I've worked at Physio-Control for 10 years and have seen many good employees beat down and broken. This will ultimately be the downfall of a company with great products.

Wake up and staff properly.

Worked for Physio-Control? Contribute to the Community!