Physio-Control

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
3.1

Brian Webster

Pros
  • Helping to make life-saving products is very rewarding in and of itself (in 7 reviews)

• Great HR department and work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It used to be a good company to work for, but not any more after it fully divested from Medtronic (in 3 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover in Finance and HR (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Keeps getting better!

I have been working at Physio-Control

Pros

Since the divestiture from Medtronic, Physio is on the right track and continually makes positive and mature decisions directing the company in the right direction. Brian Websters message is clear and consistent in that Physio is poised to win in the AED space. I love the way he shares information with Team Members which is very motivating personally. We still have challenges and problems to overcome, but what company doesn't? All the Team Members I know and talk to want the same things and are very committed to work on world class medical devices. Things are gelling and maturing which you would expect from a company that has gone through a recent divestiture. Go team go!

Cons

The company is working on process improvement and accountability. Doing well.

Keep listening, keep assuring team members that leadership is committed to positive change where needed. Make changes that improve a group/departments ability to succeed and we all win! Brian you are a great leader and motivator.

Good company, 60 year history, lots of change going on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good reasons to work here are company's mission and its impact around the world. Company is in the midst of big strategic/execution changes (R&D, global organization) based on recent ownership change. Beautiful site/campus at HQ with tons of renovation going on.

Cons

Commute to the main site can be problematic unless you live nearby (cross-bridge commute from Seattle is a bear and getting worse - not the company's doing, but a factor.)

Open up a satellte west side (Seattle) hoteling office for project teams to use from time to time and to recruit new talent from the NW biotech 'reactor core' neighborhood.

I love my job; challenging, fulfilling and rewarding!

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Saving lives - it's what we do!

Cons

It is a very intense working environment that can be overwhelming at times.

Keep doing what you are doing. Recent changes in management structure, the facilities and investment in the team are GREAT!

Good company to work for

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good Company to work for.

Cons

Somewhat trigger happy when someone makes a mistake probably due to their past difficulties with the FDA.

Mistakes captured internally due to unclear procedures and improper training should be used as an opportunity to improve the system and not to reduce head count.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Making lifesaving tools, robust quality system in place, adequately staffed, good pay, bonus, onsite gym, onsite cafeteria, free beer on Thursday, etc...

Cons

A lot of paperwork to make changes, however, its similar to any medical device company.

Continue investing in your people and culture

Misguided leadership at the top

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong mission, great customers. Most of the employees are ethical and willing to help others.

Cons

The CEO and CFO have a displayed a consistent leadership approach: even though they are embarrassingly unaware of what is really happening in the company, these two berate those who often are the top performers, many of whom have been told they have high potential. And then they fail to take accountability for their own errors. Sorry, the free beer that they offer doesn't make up for an atmosphere of mistrust, lack of empowerment and support, and self-serving top leadership actions.

Advice to Bain Capital: it's time to create change at the very top, bringing in leaders with maturity, multi-company experience and strong people skills. And please, don't wait until more of the top performers move on.

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time for more than a 3 years

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Making lifesaving tools, robust quality system in place, adequately staffed, onsite cafeteria, etc...

Cons

A lot of paperwork to make changes.

Continue investing in your people

Loved my job. Gave a lot of perks.

I worked at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

Loved my job. It offered a lot of challenge. Never boring. Company gave a lot of perks. Loved the inspirational stories of lives that were saved.

Cons

Disorganized. Not a lot of training. Unfortunately I didn't get much of a chance to know the business.

Organization. Business has so much potential but the management needs to understand organization from the ground up.

My experience at Physio-Control is 100% positive.

Former Employee - Customer Finance in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Finance in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The best part working there is learning about the product and how much it is so much needed globally.

Cons

Being a contract worker you do not have a chance to embed your self and acquire the values of the company

Keep outstanding people to help improve your ebitda. Long term Goals are most important, and when budget is questioned, one must look at the whole picture to see if the current situation will get better.

A great internship experience.

Current Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They have a very focused internship program that pairs you with a mentor and a specific project you can put your name on. Projects usually have a good impact and are not just busy work. The atmosphere is fun and they have a games and lounge area by the cafeteria. This company takes risks on people that are passionate and willing to prove themselves.

Cons

Human resources seems to take a long time to get around to giving you an offer. The internship program is geared more towards students that have another year left so they can take their time in opening up positions.

For interns that are recently graduated, make up your mind quickly whether you want to hire someone or not. Recent grads shouldn't have to wait around for months after the internship.