Picaboo Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

4.0

Howard Field & Keith McCurdy

Two years of growth and experiences

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Picaboo full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The people. It's natural for start-ups to feel like a family, and I built relationships with a few individuals that I will cherish forever.
    2. The product. There is something awesome about working for a company that creates lasting memories for people everywhere.
    3. The growth. I really did grow a lot at my time at Picaboo. Not only as a person but in my role. I got thrown so many different things and really had to think on my feet.

Cons

Overall, my experience at Picaboo was neutral. There were a lot hurdles I had to go through, but without those I wouldn't have gained my experience. Also to note is that the Company has (2) CEO's with one of them remote, Sometimes this can be challenging because in the time I was there they switched responsibilities 3 times. Growth was a challenge even though I listed it has a Pro. I was promoted within a year in my role, but didn't see much after that; there really isn't a growth path built for employees which is why I decided to leave.

Decide on a org chart and responsibilities and stick to it, switching these things around can cause confusion and will lead to frustration amongst the team. Have the remote team come to the main office more often, this creates a better work culture and unity within the team. Get advice from the ENTIRE team, rather than those who sit on top, you'd be surprised on what ideas they have and how they can grow the business. Lastly, don't make promises you can't keep, if you say things are going to change, then change them. If not, you will create resentment throughout the whole team and you will lose great people.

Photo Merchandise Startup

I have been working at Picaboo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, senior management is very personable and accessible. Great group of employees, who are great to work with. Company is still growing which makes it exciting place to work and gain experience.

Cons

Still growing company, with lots of remote work parts which causes certain operational difficulties that can be tiresome to navigate.

More in company training to help employees to grow would be awesome.

True start-up experience

I worked at Picaboo

Pros

The products are great. The people are awesome. Beautiful office. Loved the flexible schedule. Nice environment for a motivated, self-starter willing to take a chance on a start-up.

Cons

New ideas are implemented with great excitement, but limited planning. Dissenting voices are discouraged. Benefits are so-so. This is a company still trying to find its identity.

Do not let the enthusiasm of one person cause you to skip important steps in the implementation process or encourage you to look at a situation through rose colored glasses. Business decisions can be harsh. Sometimes you have tell people no.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment to learn and grow professionally.

I have been working at Picaboo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generally a very positive workplace and a beautiful new space that's conducive to collaboration. Fast paced and never boring. The startup environment allows everyone to put on a variety of hats on a day to day basis.

Cons

priorities and objectives can get a little muddied at times and the ever evolving plans can get a bit exhausting.

trust the path/ mission and stick to it

Great people, fast-paced environment, tremendous growth, a true start-up experience

I have been working at Picaboo full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Strong mentorship from senior management, focused on personal career growth and opportunity to switch roles & responsibilities if desired - rare quality for a small tech company in silicon valley. CEOs are inherently passionate in the product and heavily involved in day-to-day business; willing to wear multiple hats at once and help out on any given project when necessary, no matter how tedious or "low-level" the task at hand is.

2. Ability to make an immediate impact; from weeding out problem areas to enabling new customer-facing features, everything you do has a direct impact on the future well being of the company and everyone seems to have a voice, regardless of "rank" or department.

3. Very good package/benefits. Gorgeous new office space in Redwood Shores; open seating encourages collaboration among team members and allows for greater transparency between departments. Free lunches & free massages once a week. Fully-stocked kitchen is an added bonus.

4. Best part about working at Picaboo is the people, hands down. Most are extremely competent and a pleasure to work with/learn from. Team members pull equal weight to get things done quickly and professionally, often going above and beyond to assist teammates and reach shared goals. People are incredibly friendly/engaging and many friendships continue outside the confines of the office. Positive environment overall.

5. Incredible growth over the past year, exciting time for the company as new initiatives are taking place and product/client is transforming almost daily to improve customer experience. Feels good to be part of a company that is gaining momentum and changing things for the better.

6. Flexible work schedule to accommodate kids, hefty commutes, etc.

Cons

1. Not for the 9-to-5er. While some employees find a way to come and go within regular business hours, nearly everyone is putting in extra work on nights and weekends. Poor work-life balance, hard to "turn off" as things are constantly changing and decided at the last minute.

2. Below market-rate salaries; often discouraging when you calculate the amount of overtime spent without any bonus or pay increase.

3. Lack of transparency and communication from management that manifests itself in many symptoms across the company. I have seen some efforts to improve over the past year, but there are still key elements lacking that have resulted in high turnover.

Continue efforts to increase transparency from the top down. Trust in your employees and reward team members for success while identifying those prone to consistent failure that may be inhibiting growth. Invest more in the product & user experience until we have something truly unique and remarkable to stand behind.

Growing company with lots of opportunity!

I have been working at Picaboo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Picaboo is growing and moving in a great direction. The company is dedicated to building teams of experts and eager to explore new opportunities, especially in Marketing. A busy environment, rich with learning and great collaboration among teams. Leadership is extremely passionate which is great motivation to want to do your best work.

Cons

There are some key foundational elements that need to be established before some of the greater initiatives can be implemented.

Maintain focus, continue clear communication and continue believing in your employees.

Needs Management Makeover

I have been working at Picaboo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Employees who demonstrate skill & initiative are given opportunities to take on many new responsibilities & learn on the job

- New office space is beautiful & insurance benefits were good (for single people)

If you are enthusiastic and skilled, you will never run out of things to do at Picaboo. This does keep the job from being "a bore" which can be seen as a positive if you are a self-professed workaholic.

In addition, I had a mostly positive day-to-day experience with my immediate teammates who I still think of as authentic, kind, and responsible people (however, most of them have since decided to leave Picaboo).

Cons

- Frustrating lack of transparency, authenticity, respect, trust and communication from senior leadership which trickles down to negatively affect company culture and brand

- Apparent lack of leadership/ownership by senior management; instead point fingers to lower level employees for "mistakes"

- Inconsistent treatment of employees by management; inconsistent behavior of/directions from Co-CEOs

- Low priority placed on professional development & career growth (while you get a lot to do, there is no emphasis placed on building a career from management)

- High turnover rate and essentially nonexistent onboarding / transition results in teams essentially having to start from scratch time & time again

If you value the transparency of and respect from your leaders, I would not recommend working for Picaboo (at least at the home office). For a company its size in Silicon Valley (where company culture is of great importance to top talent), I would expect a bit more transparency into the present situation and future plans of the company.

No company is perfect and every company has room for improvement. However, I feel like at Picaboo the executive leaders were unwilling to really "rip off the bandaid" - so to say - and acknowledge real issues (which I think are rooted in management). Superficial optimism & inauthentic rhetoric only go so far.

Make an effort to be honest and consistent with your employees. Take the time to hire people you believe in and trust, and then continue trust and develop the team you've hired. If you first get behind your team and support the people on your team, they'll get behind you and your company. Lose your humanity in your leadership and you'll lose your employees.

fun work environment and lots of responsibilities and career opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Picaboo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team, very good ambiance, nice people to work/be with
    after a couple of months, i already consider some of my coworkers as friends
    very nice office with open view on the lagoon
    free food :)

Cons

Picaboo is growing and moving from a small start up to a more mature company and some areas are still catching up (missing processes, clear roles and responsibilities, performance reviews)

keep pushing for change

Amazing Product that makes it easy to love and work for!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Picaboo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Both the innovative software and end printed product are something you will be proud to represent.
    -The passion behind the folks who have worked here for years shows through their hard work and dedication. It makes new employees easy to acclimate easily.
    -The new side of the business; Picaboo Yearbook promises a lot of hope for growth and success not just for the company but for its customers.
    -There has always been a learning curve no matter what department you work for which makes it a challenge but also a good opportunity to learn.
    -Flexible schedules, fun and comfortable environment in the office.

Cons

-Some senior management is not in office which makes it tough for on location employees to stay focused on the same goals and execute successfully.

-There are a lot of changes constantly happening within the company which are not always communicated by department managers to their department employees. These changes make it hard for employees to understand and accept.

-Not enough collaboration within the entire company to get feedback on new ideas/products. Many times some employees felt their was favoritism or their opinion was not valued.

Quality Product & Great People

Former Employee - Director  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Picaboo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Quality. Service. People.
    Picaboo has an amazing product - both the software and the physical printed product. Customers are evangelical in their passion for the company and products, which has been imperative to the company's growth.

Senior leadership fosters the focus on customer service and experience. It starts with them and feeds down to everyone in the organization. Everyone in the company is empowered to work with the team to make sure the customer has an incredible experience. When things go wrong, the leaders of the company pull together to craft a solution and communicate it to the customer base. When mistakes are made, they are committed to making it right.

There are a lot of opportunities for growth at Picaboo. During my 5+ years with the company, I held three different titles and had many different functional areas of responsibility. I was trusted to make the right decisions for the company and customer every day. If you are the kind of person who likes to wear different hats and get your hands into varying aspects of the company, Picaboo is a good place to do it.

Cons

Start ups are challenging and definitely not for everyone. There are resource constraints that can make it difficult to grow and achieve goals.

The photo gift space is very competitive. Picaboo has survived while others have vanished. Innovation and flexibility will be key to future growth and success, especially as consumers change how they take and enjoy photos in a mobile digital world.

Worked for Picaboo? Contribute to the Community!