Pick N Save

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
2.4

Robert Mariano

Pros
  • Great coworkers, pay is pretty decent, insurance, flexible schedule (in 6 reviews)

• Insurance available to part-time employees, Vacation pay, Holiday pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You only get full-time hours between the5th-15th of the month,after that under 20hrs aweek (in 6 reviews)

• Some upper management is hard to work with (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Management

Former Employee - Utility Clerk
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk

I worked at Pick N Save part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pick n Save is a simple, easy job. I worked as a utility clerk for 1 year. Friendly work environment when the customers are not being completely rude.

Cons

It is not easy to get paid more than minimum wage, even if you've been working for them for a long time. The management also did not treat people with respect. I herniated a disk while bringing in carts and had to quit to have surgery and they were very inconsiderate when I told them I had to go in for immediate surgery and could not finish out my last week. Even after the disk was herniated and I had a doctors note, they were still trying to make me bring in carts and annoyed with me when I told them I could not.

Don't treat your employees like robots! We can only do so much.

Only treated right if you are in a management position

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Pick N Save part-time (more than an year)

Pros

semi-flexible schedule
    easy to move up
    not the worst entry level job you can get
    did give me a lot of beneficial experience
    trained in multiple positions

Cons

barely any salary boost when promoted
    unfriendly management
    management switches very often
    limited holiday pay

treat your employees right...it's easy to move up in this company. They just might be your boss some day

Exhausting

Former Employee - Cake Decorator
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator

I worked at Pick N Save full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, mostly nice customers, and mostly great coworkers. I felt I learned alot working at Pick n Save for so many years. I grew as a person and I had a steady pay check being full time employee for most of my 10.5 years there.

Cons

Training is lacking. Supplys to do your job are lacking. There needs to be a better way to train new employees. More time allowed to train proplerly so the new people are not just standing around not knowing how to do something (or not even knowing what they are supplosed to be doing) while seasoned employees are working to exhaustion. Working nearly every weekend day and holiday as a full time employee was quite annoying. Not finding out the weekly schedule untill midday friday, 1.5 days before that schedule week starts.

Small town stores have different needs then city stores. Every store needs to be different to provide for the community its in, this is in reguards to items carried, busy times in each department, even the designs of cakes should be different. Cutting funds for supplys is just kicking yourself. How would you ever be able to sell food if you have no packaging materials to put it in. I am sure there are better ways to cut costs then limiting the budget on plastic containers and bags.

Good job for a highschooler...

Former Employee - Cashier in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Pick N Save part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The food made in house is good, its a good way to meet the community

Cons

Management doesn't care, pay is lousy.

Lots of drama

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Germantown, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Germantown, WI

I worked at Pick N Save part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

Corporate control is unreasonable when alined with actual needs of management and customer service demands.

Stand up to corporate leaders, your store depends on it and the customers deserve it.

It's ok

Current Employee - Meatcutter in Albany, GA
    Current Employee - Meatcutter in Albany, GA

I have been working at Pick N Save part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

you have to work a lot of hours just to have a decent pay check....

Cons

long hours for 2 weeks then short hours the next two...

treat your employees like you need them

Investment firm ruins a good company

Current Employee - Store Level Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Level Management in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Pick N Save full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My co-workers are in general good people to work with, I enjoy doing my job.

Cons

Corporate office "ruling" the store via e-mail, store level management have no input into what and where to set displays. Management are basically highly paid stockers. Hiring only part time workers and then being surprised when they don't show loyalty when they quit after a few weeks or months to take a full time position at another company. There is little communication between management and employees and what communication there is is often contradictory and confusing. Asking store level management any sort of HR question is an exercise in futility(even the SOM whose job it is to know the HR questions know next to nothing)and you have to call the 800 HR line and hope that whoever you talk to knows what they're talking about, again call twice on the same issue and you'll more than likely get two contradictory answers.

I'd give your store level management team more input on the actual running of their respective stores. Hire people full time at wages that make sense. The work load on the employees in the stores is at times unreasonable, especially when most of the "department employees"(Dairy, Grocery etc) spend as much as half their shift manning a cash register rather than working in their departments. Front End(cashiers) is woefully understaffed. Too many "gimmicks" in an attempt to generate customer traffic(monopoly game etc) when just lowering prices would work just as well. Willis Stein(the ultimate corporate overlords)using the company as a piggy bank by taking out hundreds of millions in loans to pay a dividend and saddling the company with debt with nothing "real" to show for the money. Within weeks of taking out one of these loans hours began being cut, and full time hires became something of legend. I honestly believe that within 5 years, they will be seeking chapter 11 protection. Lastly FIRE "Chairman Bob" His only experience seems to be running once good companies into the ground(Dominick's in Chicago)

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Pick N Save part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the physicality of the work, and I like providing customer service, but there's nothing spectacular in mind about working as a cashier for Pick 'n Save. My supervisors are for the most part supportive, and my co-workers are for the most part nice and professional. There's not many other jobs that I could request off of work as much as I do (about once a month for a few days) and be granted the time off.

Cons

I have been a cashier twice before working at Pick 'n Save, and upon hiring, I was not able to negotiate a proper wage and was given the lowest seniority wage albeit my former experience. I have been working there since last year because of the difficulty of finding another job in Milwaukee. I work really, really hard when I'm there, I've always believed in delivering my best work for whatever amount I am being paid. When the store is slow/empty and I don't have a customer at my register, I am cleaning and restocking the front end, and my co-workers are mostly standing around talking. Although my supervisors, managers, and customers show me their appreciation with words, I don't really feel like it means anything as I'm getting paid well below a living wage and my hours are constantly getting cut. I'd rather the appreciation be showed with action.

I don't like the disorganization and lack of support for the front-end. There are certain things that should have been done a long time ago and have not been done. For instance, updating the registers to include numbers for the bulk items (many customers do not write down the PLU of bulk items) or at least updating the list in the binder we have in our drawers when they built the bulk section. In terms of support - when there isn't a UC on the floor (which is usually the case for about half of the time you are there... which I understand because they have a lot of other things they need to do like carts and cleaning the bathrooms), there is no one who can do a quick price check for you or run back to get an item a customer needs. I have no problem doing that myself, but most of the time my supervisors won't let me and they won't run back to check it for the customer, which I think is very poor customer service.

Although not as serious of an offense, I wish our uniforms were different. I think we can maintain a professional look without the black and white uniforms we currently don. I don't think the white shirt tucked in is very practical when you are doing work that requires you to bend and lift things a lot. I see a lot of co-workers wearing large sweaters over their non-tucked in shirt (even in the summer) because of this issue. I think a shirt with our company name on it (or even a nice polo or similar kind of shirt just with a Pick 'n Save pin to reduce costs) and a nice pair of pants would be just as fine and professional looking, but most importantly, easier to work in.

It is very obvious to me why there is a lot of turnover. I could go on, but I won't. If you are looking for a job as a student, then this would be a good place to work; if you are something other than that -- I'm not so sure.

Start by paying those who are more experienced more than a starting wage. I understand that you employ a lot of students, but even so, I think you should put more effort into supporting the lives of your workers who overall work very hard to represent your company well. In other words, pay us a living wage from the get-go (whatever that means for the community the store is set in). Stop cutting hours for established part-time employees; if our availability allows it, we should always have at least 20 hours/week. If you would start thinking of us as fellow humans, maybe these things wouldn't be so hard.

Full time employee for 7 years

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Oak Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Oak Creek, WI

I have been working at Pick N Save full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, opportunity for advancement, good training can be given from good employees

Cons

Overworked and little pay, started at company as a cashier part time, then was transferred to produce dept full time, never got a raise for that, after 7 years, bumped up to only $3 from what I started at, now making what federal govt wants to make as minimum wage $10.10. When your a great employee, that means they need you more on holidays, so it's hard for me to get a holiday off. Job is stressful. So much to do and little to no help because not enough hours to give everyone. Expectations are too high for one person in short amount of time. Breaks are not long enough. They come up with new programs to better company but the programs fail. Uniforms suck, end up buying new uniforms frequently. Barely hiring full timers. Summer hires end up not being able to get any hours after summer so they get screwed. Merchandisers and home office employees come in, tell you they don't like something and ends up making you feel like you really disappointed them. After being there for a long time, you end up feeling that you will be stuck there for the rest of your life.

Look at the bigger picture. Not enough hours+ understaffed+too many work responsibilities for one person=a dept that looks like crap. Raises to great, recognizable employees would be nice once in a while. Dept looks like crap, u need to jump in and help

Was a nice hometown employment..but management needs to be overseen more..

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Stoughton, WI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Stoughton, WI

I have been working at Pick N Save part-time

Pros

Was close, enjoyable, flexible and good for a secondary job.

Cons

Is now inflexible, uncaring, hostile and retaliating..forces employees to sign a paper that they only want part time hours but works them full time hours and holds getting fired over their heads or drops their hours down to 4 a week, then managers sabotage calls for references and new employment opportunities..they want u available at all times and mess with your second job!

Store managers need more supervision and employees need a way to report abusive managers in confidentiality to avoid retaliation and confrontation. Public yelling and degradation of employees should NEVER happen!!