Pick Up Stix

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
2.5

Robert Rodriguez

Once you figure out a successful plan, priorities change and the unimportant details become important

I have been working at Pick Up Stix

Pros

Good training program.
    Ability to advance and promotions are available because of high turnover
    Most managers are overall good people and try to schedule around employee needs

Cons

Upper management expects employees to do more than physically possible. There is a focus on getting customers to sign up for reward programs instead of providing fast prompt service. Company can be misleading when job responsibilities and titles are concerned.

Horrible management

Former Employee - Shift Leader
    Former Employee - Shift Leader

I worked at Pick Up Stix

Pros

nothing. it was an awful experience.

Cons

CEO did not know how to handle a business. The whole concept of pick up stix is fresh food (thats even their catch phrase) and then he decides to do asian food like panda express and every single customer complained. I even complained. It was horrible experience that ultimately failed.

listen to your employees.

Horrible!

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Pick Up Stix (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working here was the pay was pretty good for just starting out

Cons

This place is horrible the management is terrible! I don't wana say to much because I'm thinking out taking legal action
    ...yes it was that bad, hopefully if this goes as planned I'll be able to tell you all how bad this company really is. It's such a shame because the food is delicious! Lol. But in all seriousness stay away! And don't eat there.

No advise I just hope this company crumbles. Everything's wrong to the way they run it down to the GM's but like other reviews have said they probley won't change anything because they don't listen the just don't care it's ridiculous so I hope they disolve

Wasn't the greatest company to work for, but wasn't the worst either.

Current Employee - Front of House in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Front of House in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pick Up Stix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They were willing to work with your school schedule if needed. If you worked more than six hours then you got a free meal. Managers were easy to get along with.

Cons

They don't have any training manuals for their employees, so it's really confusing to know what is expected of you unless you've been there for a few months and have gotten the hang of things. Management isn't always on the same page, especially when it comes to the general and regional managers. The regional manager I had was a nightmare to work with. I had to call HR a few times and they really didn't solve the situation, which eventually led to me quitting. If the owner doesn't like the way you look he will have you fired, I've witnessed this a few times.

If you want your employees to work better, then you should value them more. Don't expect them to go above and beyond if you pay them minimum wage and never acknowledge their work performance. And don't get mad when your sales are low; it has nothing to do with your employees and everything to do with your product. If your product doesn't taste good then it isn't going to sell. Especially when all of your sauces taste the same (this is coming from comments I had gotten by many customers). Overall, you should really value your employees more.

Task Master Mindset

Former Employee - General Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Pick Up Stix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts on meals, close to home, learning to deal with difficult situation

Cons

The owner is not a restaurant guy but a finance guy. The only thing he cares about is $$$. He thinks he is 7ft tall! He has a huge ego and thinks he knows everything. He treats people like a commodity and not the reason he is making money. There is a reason Panda is kicking his rear end. They don't have solid management or employment development programs - why? They don't care. Owner always is seeking ways to cheapen the brand. The restaurant business is a people business NOT about only $$$$. Wake up LG!

Great work environment

Current Employee - Shift Leader in San Pedro, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in San Pedro, CA

I have been working at Pick Up Stix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Corporation, flexible scheduling.. ev3ryone above you is extremely involved in making sure things run smoothly.

Cons

Not always easy to move up. Kind of shady when it comes to compensation.

Give to those who deserve it and work hard for the greater good of the company, not those just looking for a check.

Passable; no surprises

Former Employee - FOH Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - FOH Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pick Up Stix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Regular hours, variety between cashiering and serving food. You get a free meal every shift you work too.

Cons

Cleaning the bathrooms. Rude customers. Customers who stay past closing and we weren't allowed to kick them out.

It beats unemployment

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pick Up Stix

Pros

It's easy and the hours aren't bad

Cons

Hourly management means a LOT of production work

Make the menu simpler, make P&L consistent & attainable and teach regional managers positive reinforcement. There is no training program

Understanding chinese wok'd fresh

Former Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pick Up Stix

Pros

If you can make it to General Manager, the money can be pretty good.

Cons

The long hours, the pay if you aren't at least a General Manager, the food isn't very good, and the flexibility of schedule isn't there.

For General Managers, its important to create an environment that is both friendly and a clearly understood hierarchy. Employees like to know that there is a totem pole and where they sit. Keep the restaurant clean, keep the kitchen at bay, give as many hours as possible to the front staff and keep the customers happy with good food, and everything should be ok.

Love it

I worked at Pick Up Stix

Pros

I love working at this great place

Cons

Boring but also a great way to work

Lovin it