Pick 'n Pay

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gareth Ackerman

excellent, best staff, awesome prices.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsVery friendly environment, but firm and hardworking.

ConsI have not once disliked my experience working at pick n pay.

Tough and exciting

Project Management (Former Employee) Cape Town (South Africa)

ProsThe people and the culture

ConsHard to get decisions made

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customers

It has been an interesting and educational experience.

Wine&Liquor Manager (Current Employee) Cape Town (South Africa)

ProsThe people and their passion for the company and how pick n pay empowered their staff through education and benefits that was offered to the staff.

ConsThe breaking down of family values and internal polotics . The attitude of upper management where it concerns the staff in regards to the prosperity of the business

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at alternative methods within pick n pay to promote not only staff loyalty but customer satisfaction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never work for PNP

Clerk (Former Employee) Johannesburg (Suriname)

ProsQuick suicide method
    If you want health problems, depression or high blood pressure

ConsThe people, the culture, the work

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. Company only for the soulless and stupid.

it was really great

Cashier (Former Employee) Ezulwini (Swaziland)

Prosyou get experience working with different people, and every challenge that comes your way you deal with it yourself and grow in the process.

Consyou have to remain nice and with a smile on your face even when dealing with a bad customer since, the policy is 'the customer is always right'

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work and train the new stuff to uphold the PnP standards

great and stressful but not bad

TILL OPERATOR (Former Employee) Lusaka, Lusaka (Zambia)

Prosgood working environment and advancement opportunities but of the time only relatives of managers and management are picked for bigger posts

Conslong hours of work including weekends, lack of consideration on how staff feel by management, problems with salaries and payment of overtime.

Advice to Senior Managementemploy the right number of people instead of overworking staff and there is too much nepotism in zambias pick n pay stores

Great Company just Politics

Demand Planner (Former Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsGreat Benefits, flexible working colleges and pay reasonable

ConsWorking hours very long, work 24/7 never have time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork decent hours to ensure management have rested to work a optimum.It is expected of you to work all the time; weekend off you will be called in to come work. the balance between work and life is tilted to work by 90%. your life is work

My experience at Pick n Pay is of passion, dedication and attention to detail - "retail is detail"

Store Manager (Current Employee) Cape Town (South Africa)

ProsGreat remuneration, share options and great experience.

ConsLong hours, lots of stress from the sense of urgency required in the FMCG environment

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate, especially when it comes to the strategies. You need "buy in" from all so tell them what they need to know to properly equip them for the goals. Hold "brainstorm" meetings with the senior and more junior management to get their ideas of where wecan improve or glean marketing ideas to knock the opposition. Speak more directly to Franchisees for their ideas on promotions and advertising to more effectively knock the opposition.

Lot of growth opportunities, if you're passionate about retail.

Trainee Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary for trainee managers
    Benefits are also good, some incentives the higher you go up on the ladder
    Teaches attention to detail
    International company
    Good training facilities and standards

ConsRetail hours are long hours
    Multitasking can become a problem when you do not have enough staff
    Not always consistant when applying rules

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistancy across the board will help a lot when applying rules. Some management just do not care about rules for themselves or their staff.

Very Boring too coercive

Shelf Packer (Current Employee) Revesby (Australia)

ProsFlexibility of hours was very satisfying. Some of the manager assisted with training however this was not always the case.

ConsVery rude managers , highly political environment to operate in. in addition poor decision making undertaken by several senior mangers.

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to improve their training and how they manage people this is as it impacts on people they work under. They need to find better leaders in their business, especially those advising them on their operations in the Australian market.

Worked for Pick 'n Pay? Contribute to the Community!