Picture Me Portrait Studios

Updated June 27, 2014
Updated June 27, 2014

2.0

James J. Abel

Pros
  • Working with kids, the (few) pleasant people, gaining experience, flexible schedule (in 10 reviews)

• photography, working with children, building a client base, starter job (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Being pressured by management to achieve unrealistic sales goals (in 6 reviews)

• I had 3 different district managers in the year I was there (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Prior Manager

Pros

I had the BEST of the company as trainers. Loved my job! My DM was awesome!

Cons

Closed and left me unemployed...

assoc

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Neptune, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Neptune, NJ

Pros

working with kids and making memories for people is definitely the best part of the job. you also get independent without upper management.

Cons

the goals seem unreachable at times tends to be very slow during the week

Loved working here

Former Employee - Studio Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Got to spend the day making people smile!

Cons

They went out of business :(

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Training, No Creativity

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate  in  Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Fort Walton Beach, FL

Pros

Work with kids, learn more about photography, and better your product selling skills. If you like photography, this is a great place to learn more about it.

Cons

Awful management, complete lack of creative freedom, low pay, and high expectation. I worked here for 2 days before being left alone to run the store.

Hire better managers, and allow for more creative freedom. Also, upgrade your old tech.

amazing miss it so much

Former Employee - Manager  in  Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, TX

Pros

lots of hours great employees

Cons

company closed wish was still open

very quickly as about three months in got bumped up.

Worst Company I've Ever Had The Displeasure Of Working For

Former Employee - Studio Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

--You are given a lot of responsibility.
    --Once you complete training (and unless it's a busy time of year), you work alone in the studio all day and don't have to deal with other employees.
    --You can complete your given tasks on your own terms. You are given a sales goal for the day, a certain number of leads you need to get, and you have your set appointments. How ever you accomplish these goals is up to you, so you have to prioritize.

Cons

--Very poor training of associates. After 40 hours spread over 1-2 weeks, you are expected to be a professional photographer. Often times, first time customers come in expecting a professional and do not understand why the person shooting their session is so inexperienced with children or why the pictures turn out terrible--not realizing that the person may have been flipping burgers a week before.
    --Low pay and high expectations. The company only wants inexperienced associates because they know there's no way in hell a professional would work for eight bucks an hour.
    --Terrible, terrible marketing. The company basically gives everything away for free, yet expects customers to buy into a ridiculous "top down" selling pitch. When I first began working for the company, they offered free 8x10 FRAMED portraits to customers. We would draw in customers from Wal-Mart, offer to take their child's picture with the promise of receiving a free portrait, shoot the session, and then take the customer over to the computer to begin adding enhancements,etc. After that, we would start the sales pitch in hopes of getting them to spend at least some money, starting with our MOST EXPENSIVE package at $379. After hearing that figure, especially working a low-income area, the customers were pretty much done and just wanted to know when they could pick up their freebie. It just felt like a major waste of time and company resources to spend a good part of the day begging strangers to let you take their kid's picture, offering them something for free, spending 45 minutes on a rigorous session, and then getting $0 in the end.
    --Unrealistic sales goals that are never met. Between spending most of the day shooting sessions that only culminated in the freebie 8x10s and calling people who had an outstanding balance to come get their photos, the studio profited very little for the day.
    --Extremely unpleasant district mangers who are completely unsympathetic and expect too much out of the employees.

About 6 months after I quit the company and declined the position of studio manager, the studio I was previously working at closed down. I'm sure many will follow suit.

Stop giving away stuff for free in hopes that it will lure in long term customers. That may work with high end establishments, but your everyday Wal-Mart shopper doesn't have $100-$379 to spend on having their children's portraits made. Learning to recognize your clientele will help your studio associates/managers become more successful. Expecting high sales from studios located in low-income neighborhoods just sets everyone up for failure. Start being more reasonable and gain some compassion and understanding of your employees as well.

picture me portrait studios

Former Employee - Studio Manager  in  Sturgis, MI
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Sturgis, MI

Pros

close to home and affordable

Cons

not here anymore and no cheap places to go

need to reopen

Loved the work but the company not so much

Current Employee - Studio Manager  in  Port Huron, MI
    Current Employee - Studio Manager in Port Huron, MI

Pros

Photography was fun, rewarding and challenging

Cons

commissions fell drasticly and the companie had no compassion for family emergencies

Treat your employees with more compassion and they will be wiling to produce their best all the time.

I enjoyed taking pictures and helping families capture the memories

Former Employee - Studio Associate  in  Wilson, NC
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Wilson, NC

Pros

I enjoyed meeting all the interesting people. There was always a story behind every person who took pictures. The training was fun and exciting!

Cons

I wish we had more hours to work every day.

Believe in your employees more and they'll believe in you. We worked hard to take those pictures and deal with the families, so a nice pictureMe party or giveaway or something would have been nice. Maybe we all could have met other PictureMe employees at a convention. We were all so disconnected from one another. Unity is what we needed.

Best job for mothers with adult children.

Pros

You can work alone. You can tailor packages to sell easier. And most families are fun and help your day go faster.

Cons

You may have to travel far and its more sales than photography

More staff!

Worked for Picture Me Portrait Studios? Contribute to the Community!