Picture Me Portrait Studios

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.0

James J. Abel

Pros
  • Working with kids, the (few) pleasant people, gaining experience, flexible schedule (in 10 reviews)

• photography, working with children, building a client base, starter job (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Being pressured by management to achieve unrealistic sales goals (in 6 reviews)

• I had 3 different district managers in the year I was there (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

This place does not appreciate employees

Former Employee - Manager  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Creative
    -working with kids
    - Flexible hours
    - It is a good starter job, just don't plan to stick around, move on.

Cons

-working with kids (it is a pro and a con)
    - demanding customers
    -shitty pay

Treat your employees better, the job could be very cool!

Absolutely horrid. I wouldn't recommend this job to even my worst enemy.

Former Employee - Studio Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios part-time for less than a year

Pros

--Lot's of responsibility is given to you right away, and promotions are easy to come by. I was actually hired on as a studio associate who was being trained to become a studio manager, though I had no prior photography experience whatsoever.
    --This is a solitary position, so if you like working alone, this is the job for you. I worked in the Dallas-Fort Worth area stores, and the majority of the time, there was only one associate who worked alone in the studio all day.

Cons

--The company pays very little, yet expects you to be a professional photographer in a non-professional environment. They want non-experienced people because they realize that no professional photographer would do that kind of work for $8.00 an hour.

--The "top-down" marketing pitch is ridiculous. We would pull in a customer from Wal-Mart, shoot their session, make enhancements to their pictures, and instead of giving them the inexpensive promotional offer on which we brought them in, we would start talking about our packages--starting with the most expensive at $379. Really, this company must be crazy thinking that customers in this economy have $379 on hand to spend on portraits. Are you kidding me?

--They expect too much of you in very little time. When I was hired, I alerted my manger to the fact that I had NO experience whatsoever with photography--aside from taking pictures with my cell phone. Yet, after 40 hours spread over 5 days of training (24 hours of watching her and the remaining 16 on my own), I was expected to be a professional concerning lighting, posing, being efficient with the huge monster of a camera, and customer service. When I admitted that I was nervous working in the studio by myself after these 40 hours, my manager acted like I was an idiot.

--Fellow associates can be very unprofessional and unorganized, making your job more difficult. They do not file things properly and misplace shipments, preventing the studio from functioning effectively.. I was shocked by the way in which I was taught to get potential customers. The exact words from one of my trainers: "Don't try to talk to women if they are with their husbands because men don't like to spend a lot of money and they will just talk their women out of it. If you can, talk to Mexican or black people because they usually have a lot of kids and family members and can be a little too proud about it--but you have to be careful with Mexicans because they don't always speak English and will expect their kids to translate for them. Also, a lot of them don't have any money." Um...WHAT?

--The district manager expects you to control situations that are not in your hands. I worked in a low income area, and many of our customers skipped out on paying for their portraits but were hard to contact because their phones were disconnected or they had changed addresses. I was given ridiculously long phone lists of customers to call everyday to let them know their portraits were in and still had an oustanding balance. Some of the numbers were no longer in service, and those I did contact would give me a date of when they would be in but then skipped out. The DM would get angry because all of these folders of unpaid for portraits would be in our cabinet, but what can you do about it besides call the customers to let them know?

Really, I could go on all day, but I think I'll stop here. Crappy pay, crappy bosses, crappy conditions. This company is just crap overall. I don't recommend that anyone get a job here.

COMPLETE waste of time

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Quakertown, PA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Quakertown, PA

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

playing with kids and making them smile

Cons

-dead end calling
    -harassing random strangers to get their kids picture taken
    -Terrible management
    -barely any training
    -managers hire new employees so they can sit to watch them fail
    -promised the world and you get nothing

This company needs to have be better with training, especially on the management level so they can train employees the right way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not What I Had Pictured

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Bend, WI

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios part-time for less than a year

Pros

- fun to work with babies and kids
    - rewarding when parents love the pictures
    - lots of trust given immediately

Cons

- management is very disorganized and unfair
    - not enough quality training time
    - would hire anybody with no photography background
    - unreasonable and unrealistic expectations
    - only concerned with profit - not employees, or customers
    - overwhelming and stressful

focus more on your employees. really listen to associates/managers, get to know them personally, and help them become better photographers. hire wisely.

Non-logical

Current Employee - Photographer  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Photographer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Picture Me Portrait Studios part-time for more than a year

Pros

The studios give each employee a great amount of responsibility and trust, almost immediately. Promotions come very quickly and easily.

Cons

The company is so unorganized on the management level, they drive so many employees crazy that they quit, so the ones they have left get away with terminable actions. On the marketing level, they give EVERYTHING away for free and cheaper than the production cost in promotions and coupons, thinking that if you get them in the door they will buy more, which is true with the higher end clientele of their other divisions (Sears, Buy Buy Baby, Babies R Us, etc.) but in Walmart, it is ridiculous! It is almost impossible to keep an acceptable sales average unless it is the holidays...

Get your coupons and promotions under control, pay your employees for the work they do, and get more organized in regards to district and regional managers.

When it was Good it was GOOD but when it was Bad it was BAD.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Griffin, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Griffin, GA

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun atmosphere, busy fast pace environment, diverse interaction & creative outlet.

Cons

IN 2012 I WAS RECOGNIZED AS THE 5TH TOP PERFORMER IN THE USA (Selling $87,000 as a individual) but awarded a 15cent raise rather than the 50cents I got everytime prior. I found that insulting & unreal.

Do your best, stay consistent & fair.

Rude and weird people

Former Employee - Store Associate  in  Brunswick, GA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Brunswick, GA

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get the photos quickly and thats about it because its not really worth much. they charge you hundreds of dollars for pictures that you can do only with a cheap digital camera.

Cons

The people you have to deal with are not real photographers they train them 2 weeks and let them mess up people pictures and don't have any sort of return policy

Not as fun as it looks.

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Watertown, SD
    Former Employee - Photographer in Watertown, SD

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

My local manager was an amazingly passionate woman! If she'd have never left, neither would have I. She was the only thing that worked properly in that studio.

Cons

They give everything away for free! Even if you do well, there is no reward. If you want to be an assistant manager, they will make you one, even if you don't deserve it or work for it. And even if you pawn your work off onto other employees. They will hire people with no qualifications at the same pay rate as a professional photographer. Upper management and regulation compromises photograph quality to get more appointments with less sales, rather than giving a superior product that people would pay hundreds of dollars for.
    Also, their dress code was counter productive! Infants do not see black well and it is 10 times as hard to get a baby to smile in black than in blue. If you're not working in film, there is no logical reason to wear black. Company does not understand child psychology.
    The manager and worked hard to make the studio profitable and within a month of us leaving the place had an awful reputation for being dirty and sending out a bad product. I am always so sad when I walk by and see all the unhappy customers... if there are any.

Don't compromise product for more appointments. It is better to have 2 customers willing to pay $300 for pictures than 4 customers who only was the $7.99 package and a free 8x10.

Studio Associate

Former Employee - Studio Associate  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in South Bend, IN

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun taking and creating portraits

Cons

Ten hour days and during peak periods DM will warn all associates no lunch breaks, if caught taking a lunch break will be terminated. Will work alone for a ten hour days doing everything from portrait taking to selling. It is a three person job and one person doing it all for ten hours at minimum wage.

Be honest when hiring associates, they will find out the truth sooner or later.

Dont be bullied by picture me

Former Employee - Manager  in  Hartford, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Hartford, NY

I worked at Picture Me Portrait Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

WORKING WITH CHILDREN, TRYING TO MAKE THEM SMILE.

Cons

work through breaks , lunch and never leave on time. Constant bulling by district managers. They watch you on camera at all times and will call you and say tie your shoe your socks dont match your pants. Pick up the phone even though you are busy with a customer. Throw you into being manager for little more then you already make , with no training.

I was a manager. District managers need to lay off , let employees do there job. Give better training.

Worked for Picture Me Portrait Studios? Contribute to the Community!