Picture People

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
2.3

John Johnson

Pros
  • Get to capture a variety of poses of children and families (in 7 reviews)

• Working with kids, good employee environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, sometime customer are really pain in the butt (in 8 reviews)

• absolutely no customer service support (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

As a seasonal employee, I had a good overall experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Picture People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with the many different faces whenever I came into work, both co-workers & customers.

Cons

I was let go because I did not show up to work for 2 days in a row, even though I explained to management that I had no way to get out of my neighborhood safely due to a heavy snow storm that closed off roads in my area.

Its a ok part time job

Former Employee - Associate/Photographer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Associate/Photographer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Picture People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you make friends, learn how to handle stress and you make people smile!

Cons

low pay, sometime customer are really pain in the butt

promote more talent worker within, build loyalty team

Could be a great easy job, but they ask a lot out of you, and don't update their policies to follow.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Picture People full-time

Pros

Easy work if you understand the nature of Studio photography. If you are great with kids, and have patience when they're crying, it can be really rewarding to see them smile, and see how they grow. Some props can be fun, then of course you have limitations to age and gender. If you communicate well with the parents they can be a big help. You definitely have to be outgoing, goofy, and patient with the little ones. Sales can make or break you, which it feels good to get a good sale, but there are too many coupons customers have access to to really hurt your pitch. It can get boring if theres day's with no appointments so you end up by yourself, but some days it's swamped and you sweat from moving around so much.

Cons

Personally I had an issue with some managers, the policy being out dated, and not having much room to grow in the company. I wanted to be a valuable asset to the company, but instead felt like it was one big competition. There's not a huge room for creativity with the lighting because they're set in place, and absolutely no room for editing because we shoot in Jpeg, and have a super simple program to edit in. I think there's trouble communicating between corporate and managers as well. We here one thing, than another, then it's all different again. Now we are telemarketers too? I didn't sign up for that! Some parents can be really mean, some extremely rude, so if you don't have a strong backbone to take it, then it may be hard for you, especially if you're working in the holidays. Also days can get so busy that they don't give us our breaks, when "according to policy" and law, we HAVE TO TAKE ONE! Most days when it gets crazy, the managers just huff and say tough, it's not gonna happen, no one else is going to take one either.

I think first and foremost the policy needs to be updated. I don't think assistant managers should be beat down and should be trusted more, or else why did you give us the position, unless you only want us at that position so we can open and close a store? The Big Bundles kill our store averages, then you get upset at us when we don't make plan? We can try to upwell as much as possible, but when you take an easy 400$ minimum job, and charge them 18$, they're not going to always budge. The free stuff from PCM gets in the way too, but I heard that's about to change which is good, though until I see the new one, I won't hold my breath.

GREAT!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Picture People Photographer in Topanga, CA
    Current Employee - Picture People Photographer in Topanga, CA

I have been working at Picture People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work and great management

Cons

The don't give many hours to work each week

Used to be an amazing place to work but has gone really down hill due to changes in upper management.

Former Employee - BBB Assistant Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - BBB Assistant Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Picture People part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The job is amazing. Working with children, every day was different.

Cons

Pay. Upper management. Sketchy practices and hr couldnt care less

If an employee is under performing be direct with them instead of finding sketchy ways to get rid of them like changing schedules last minute so you can write them up when they dont show. Employee retention is what improves product quality and when you treat your employees as dispensibly as you do they wont want to work hard or improve. Want to improve your bottom line? Look at who you have in managment and how the people below them feel about them. Especially at the district manager level.

Absolutely terrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Photographer in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Braintree, MA

I worked at Picture People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was lucky to have a few friendly and helpful coworkers (not bosses).

The kids. Seeing the smiles on their faces and getting to interact with them is the only thing that made my 8 months with the company worth it.

The customers. Sometimes. That rare occasion when everything would come together just right and everyone would have a totally satisfactory experience.

Cons

Low pay, with unrealistic and unreachable expectations.

Nothing is ever good enough for your boss because he/she is constantly being berated and belittled by higher ups about sales, sales, sales. In 8 months I don't think I ever received a compliment on my work. No one ever made a point to acknowledge any progress I was making.

If you are a photographer, or interested in becoming one, steer clear. This is not a photography job, it is a sales job. They could care less about the quality of your photography, as long as you are making sales. I was lucky to make a couple friends who mentored me and taught me some photography tips, once again coworkers, not managers.

Your position with the company is constantly being threatened. If your sales fall even just one week, you get put in the red. But as soon as you have a good week, not a word is said.

No breaks. Our location was extra special because we didn't have a bathroom that was easily accessible. It was on the opposite side of the building so during a busy weekend or holiday, it was pretty much guaranteed you were holding your bladder for anywhere from 4-8 hours.

I could go on and on, but I'll save my time and yours by saying just DONT EVER WORK FOR PICTURE PEOPLE! Or get photos taken there for that matter!

Learn how to constructively criticize employees, while also encouraging them and making them feel worthwhile. I left a 7 year management position to pursue photography and spent my time at Picture People learning exactly how NOT to manage a retail location. I have since gone back to management and am a better manager now because of how horribly I saw my manager at PP act.

Hard, fun work. Employee's deserve more pay.

Current Employee - Core Staff Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Core Staff Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Picture People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learn to work with kids.
    Learn valuable photography skills (albeit simplistic).
    Rewarding work for a retail position.

Cons

The work is too difficult for the unexperienced to be paid minimum wage when they first start.
    The location of the studio affects your sales which, in turn, affects your success at the company.

Your brand should help inform customers as to the value of the process of photography. Simply saying you don't charge a sitting fee devalues the professional service you offer.

They don't value us employees.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Centennial, CO

I worked at Picture People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love taking portraits and building relationship with families.

Cons

No communication Uppemanagement talks down, belittle and has a God Complex.has no clue. Horrible horrible place to work

Get off your high horse follow through don't take people for grant and lead by example.

Awful.

I worked at Picture People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Maybe it was just the location that I worked at but... There are no pros here.

Cons

This company is embarrassing. They're anything BUT professional. This is a customer service job and none of the employees are trained right at all and they expect you to make customers spend $700 and you get yelled at when you don't sale enough. They call you out almost everyday 30 mins before you're scheduled and if your'e actually luckily enough to go in you sit for sometimes an hr waiting to clock in.

I don't know. There isn't much advice I could give. This whole company is sneaky and rude and there could be no further growth. Please just close down.

ok.

I worked at Picture People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice environment. happy people. ok

Cons

time constraints. sales quotas. rushed