Picture People

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Johnson

Pros
  • Get to capture a variety of poses of children and families(in 5 reviews)

• Working with kids, good employee environment(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They have high expectations for low pay(in 6 reviews)

• Unreasonable expectations for availability for part-time and full-time hourly employees(in 5 reviews)

ok.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice environment. happy people. ok

Constime constraints. sales quotas. rushed

Overworked, hours were horrible, managers used power to push their work onto the lower level employees.

Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

Pros9.00 an hour was better than minimum wage.

ConsRushed environment, lack of role model at management position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who care. The managers here didn't go to college heading on to 30, have no direction in life. Hire people that know what they're doing.

Very Good

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe best part of the job was how easy it was. The job basically required you to talk to potential customers and help set up props for a photo shoot.

ConsThe only difficulty of the job was restless children and pets.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better training to the staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity to get photography experience but the managment politics is to much.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI absolutely loved taking pictures and my staff was super awesome for the most part. The goals are realistic to reach and you really do make a difference in the families you help. It is also great for photographers just starting out to get a lot of experience and with the right managment you learn a lot.

ConsSo much corporate/managment politics and favoritism it's unreal. Not all studios are the same and everyone is inconsistent with the rules and the customers notice it. Senior managment also had the tendency to hang out in the back and not help with anything no matter how far behind the studio got.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being lazy hiding in the back and get more involved with the studio! If the DMs visit the studios more often I think it would help because managment hide a lot.

Interesting and fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearn about the photography industry and sales

ConsDid not get to work the camera they are more into one photographer

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow those interested in photography the chance to learn and you might have more than one talented photographer on staff

Assistant Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCustomers were great and you are makeing a difference in there life.

ConsUnreachable goals, poor management, holiday hours

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent managers

Studio Associates

Studio Associate (Current Employee) Garden City, NY

ProsYou learn how to deal with customer and if your in the camera room you take alot of photos

ConsManagement needs to find ways to help ,you can be called out of a shift at the last moment, and they never give rises.

Advice to Senior Managementhelp your co workers

Fast Food of Photography

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Lone Tree, CO

ProsThe children and pets were fun to interact with. Once in a while (if you broke the rules/guidelines), you could get a really cool image, but art is always in the eye of the beholder. Training documents were always available and consistent. I learned a lot about angles and body shapes.

ConsSchedule was never consistent. Expectations continually decreased creativity and increased "productivity." It was definitely a quantity over quality mentality, but you only get 20 minutes (as the photographer) to get the 8 exact poses every session is supposed to have. Winter holiday season was dreadful.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire seasonal help earlier, spread out the chaos! Run an early-bird holiday special to get some people in the door before December.

SO. Not. Worth. It.

Photographer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) Peabody, MA

ProsGaining experience with DLSR cameras and posing.
    Working with kids and families (If you like that sort of thing).

ConsCondescending management
    Poor training
    Cliquey work environment.
    Pay is low.
    Hours are either extended or cut way beyond
    Over-priced packages
    Rushed sessions with too much pressure to sell.
    Too many coupons
    STOP OVER-BOOKING.

I can easily say this is one of the worst experiences I've had at a job. The work environment is so negative that it stifles sessions and management is certainly picky with who they actually choose to thoroughly train. I was thrown into a real session my first week and received nothing but negative comments and "critique". Management is constantly micro-managing and failing to fulfill promises of further training. If you're looking to advance in this company: forget it! The only way possible is through being buddy-buddy with management. Manager has been there a decade and hasn't budged from the position. This place is horrid and only fit for young college students. Stay away if you're an actual photographer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees. Work to build a better sales model that is easier to follow and focus on selecting management that are also "People-people".

blahh

Photographer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosok to work with this employer

Consok to work with this employer

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease raise salaries

Worked for Picture People? Contribute to the Community!