Picture People

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
2.1

John Johnson

Pros
  • Get to capture a variety of poses of children and families (in 7 reviews)

• Working with kids, good employee environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, sometime customer are really pain in the butt (in 10 reviews)

• Leads to stressed out team members, which can result in poor customer service (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Pay

I have been working at Picture People

Pros

Great Pay, fun atmosphere, benefits

Cons

Have to zoom alone majority of the time, no one to cover if you are sick

photographer

I have been working at Picture People

Pros

fun place to work, great place to learn lighting and portrait techniques

Cons

Appointmant times are to short and you have to rush thru the appointmants. Very hard to stay on time during bust seasonal holidays.

Make appointment times longer.

Definitely not a career.

I worked at Picture People

Pros

Having the chance to share and create special moments is the best part of working there. Most customers become familiar faces and you get to watch families grow.

Cons

Employees are under paid and are expected to do a lot of extra work which leads to being understaffed or having an unreliable staff when in need. Lunch breaks are questionable especially during the busy peaks. Sales goal per customer is unrealistic it should be based off of location just like the way that pay rates are issued.

High School Drama

Former Employee - Performer in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Performer in Arcadia, CA

I worked at Picture People part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn about cameras and get photography experience, you also learn proper editing techniques.

Cons

Pay is very little. It is constantly busy, they like to schedule in ten minute increments when every session takes about 15 min and can last up to an hour if the family doesn't cooperate, in that case you can get in trouble. The hours are extremely inconsistent and on average you only work about 15 hours. Favoritism is huge. You're supposed to get hours based on your sales, yet when I was there I made the most money and still never had the most hours.

Actually listen to your employees, not just the managers. Manager-employee relationships should be banned and people should be held accountable for protecting these relationships.

A great place to work if you are looking for a fun environment.

Current Employee - Picture People Photographer
    Current Employee - Picture People Photographer

I have been working at Picture People

Pros

working children and families. Making people laugh everyday

Cons

Pay was not great even as a manager

The Picture People....

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Picture People full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not a bad job if you're looking for something part time or just passing time until you jump on an actual career. If you're interested in gaining photography experience, this is a great place to start. You'll photograph all types of children & families (pets too!).

Cons

The pay isn't that great & your work schedule changes so much. Working at The Picture People is the worst because you'll feel overworked & underpaid to deal with so many needy customers & crying children.

Make sure all your employees take their breaks. I worked so many years at The Picture People without taking a lunch break because we never had enough coverage.

The worst employer in over 43 years I have worked for !

Former Employee - Senior Photographer
    Former Employee - Senior Photographer

I worked at Picture People full-time (less than a year)

Pros

For a youngster or someone looking for temporary work with in interest in photography it's a better alternative to the famous hamburger store ...

Cons

I was employed there before Christmas as a full time employee . I am a professional photographer and have been for over 24 years . Needing ready money I decided to apply . After about 5 months I noticed my position was being advertised . I challlenged them about this and the next day i was given a final wrtten warning . Management would NOT at anytime put in writing anything regarding this and the director of HR would only talk on the phone . I resigned . They didn't like that as they knew they were giulty of constiuctive dismissal . In short there is no room in this comany unless you are 100% subservient and are prepared to be treated with contempt by a company that holds the record of the worst employer i have ever had on over 40 years of steady employment . You have been warned ! They have a policy of remaining silent as the HR director told me for fear of litigation .... If you are running a company well and by the book then why can't you put in writing I asked her ? ....... No response . The only reason they are in business is because of the ridiculous offers of a few dollars to entice people in the store . I now have a better and highly paid job that maximises my talents and my employer KNOWS that and respects ME for what I know and contribute towards my work. I suggest anyone that reads this to find some employer that does likewise .

Grow a backbone and stand by your employees ! If you a abuse your employees the God help the customer .

The Picture People

I worked at Picture People

Pros

Clean environment.
    Nice staff.
    Technology
    Ok Training
    Always get questions answered

Cons

Not flexible with scheduling
    Always concerned about numbers
    Want you to convince customers to buy things they don't need/want
    Pay

Moderate pay, good experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Picture People part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay, photo experience, flexible hours. I have to have twenty words for pros so I wrote this second line.

Cons

Few hours, no benefits, poor customer service, poor equipment, ungrateful management, no raises for employees who break under the pressure of twelve straight hours with no breaks.

Employees can't juggle five customers at once. I don't care what your business plan is. If there's one keyholder and nobody else on duty how do you expect it to go? And then blaming employees on their being picky or indecisive. Good way to maintain employees.

Unappreciative

Current Employee - Studio Manager
    Current Employee - Studio Manager

I have been working at Picture People part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, most of the time good customers, easy job.

Cons

Scheduling, management, corporate office, training, shotty equipment, poor props.

Stop giving out so many coupons. You don't need to have a group on every week. People need to come in and spend money, we don't need to train them to not want to spend money. It's stupid, and no way to run a business.