Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros:
  • "Employee discount, mostly friendly customers, fun products, Reasonable hours"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to get customers to sign up for the company credit card like your job depends on it"
    in 66 reviews
  • "The pay for part-time workers is about what you would get working for just about any other minimum wage job"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Store manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat merchandise, fun atmosphere engaging customers, rewarding work.

ConsOften unrealistic expectations. Heavy work load. Difficult to maintain staff because of low pay vs. expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Store Management more control.

Last Resort Job

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsThe inside of the store looks beautiful and is constantly adapting to its' customers. There's a very professional atmosphere that is kept at all times. If you're doing stock in the least you're allowed to work alone (I didn't prefer) and listen to some tunes.

ConsThe work that you put in to make the store highly appealing is clearly not worth it. I'm not trying to be sexist in any fashion when I say this, but with myself being the 2nd male to work in that store location .. I had always felt beneath all the other co-workers simply because I was labeled as the guy to help with lifting heavy items in which I can understand that other people need help, but when it took me away from my work quite often I had a hard time finishing up my own work (stock).

Besides that, for the work that is put into the store the pay is significantly lower than what it should be, the hours aren't too to flexible with your particular schedule unless they (the manager/assistant manager) really enjoys your company and wants to have you around as often as possible. When you're there I understand you're getting paid to work, but again .. You're asked to do some things that isn't considered sane or what was within' your job description.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, I was in the Sales Associate position and so I couldn't distribute accurate information.

OK Place

Driver (Current Employee)
Abingdon, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Prosfast paced and fast paced

Consnot always safe not always safe equipment

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice people, low pay.

Frederick, MD

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsNice coworkers who took the time to train.

ConsLow pay, not enough hours. They really push you to provide customer service, even when it's obvious the customer does not want to be bothered.

Fun environment, but job not for everyone

Reno, NV

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful store, always good music playing, nice co-workers, vast majority of customers are friendly and easy-going, employee discount, store dollars at Christmas. Despite my complaints below , I still mostly enjoyed working here, even if the job wasn't for me in the end.

ConsEvery now and then having to hoist or retrieve large, heavy furniture from tip top shelves while balancing on ladders. While that would definitely be a two person job, still scary.

Constant pressure to sell the store credit card.

Very little hours if you didn't sell the credit card

Not introvert friendly. In other words, if you're the type of person who:

Is friendly but doesn't necessarily care about making instant friends with each and every co-worker

Embodies a subtle, less in-your-face sales approach,

Is a more independent minded individual who prefers to learn and be left on their own to grow and develop, with the occasional question to help that process every now and then,

then you may not enjoy your time with this company.

Granted, while this is typical of most group work environments, given the small number of people you work with on the floor at any given time, these issues become magnified and a sort of clique-like environment develops. In the case of my store, that seemed to explain why certain associates were readily given tasks or asked to help out with projects while other associates were ignored. Even if I volunteered my help, there were times in which I'd be met with a sort of you-can't-sit-here, high school cafeteria vibe.

Having to deal with certain managers who have a massive chip on their shoulder. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to "not be afraid to ask questions" then have that same person turn around and act annoyed or put off by any question I might have and give me a very curt response..
I kid you not, after trying to explain to one manager in particular that I didn't know how to properly organize the lamp section, and that I needed help she snapped "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!" She acted like I was lying when I said no one had ever shown me how to properly do that task in all the time I'd worked there.

OR, depending on the manger, having your every move, every word, scrutinized, because they mistakenly assumed that if you're naturally quiet and soft spoken, you must lack confidence and that you need your hand held at every turn. It got the the point where no matter what I did to help customers, no matter how much knowledge I displayed, the manger would misinterpret the situation to look as if I had acted timid and uninformed when that was far from the case.
For example, I once asked a customer a couple of questions regarding a product she was looking for, but we were both having trouble finding at its normal location. She wasn't sure of the actual name of the product, so I did some research on our inventory system, and right before she was about to give up and leave, I found something and asked, " Is it beer steins you're looking for?" and that was EXACTLY what she needed. And yet I ended up getting a lecture from a manger about my lack of product knowledge, (as part of a larger lecture about my supposed lack of confidence in general) because she misheard me and thought I'd asked "DO WE HAVE beer steins?" It was at the point where I knew based on experience that trying to correct the misunderstanding would be an act of futility.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES.

If a person works best independently with the occasional critique, allow that person their space. Don't insist on micro-managing that person because that only makes things worse.

Conversely, don't make employees feel like they can't approach you with questions to improve their knowledge and skill. We want things to run as smooth and productive as you do. We know that you're busy, but which wastes more time in the long run, taking two minutes to answer a question or help with a task, or having to fix mistakes from uninformed employees?

Actually take in and process what your employees are saying. Don't just give out the first automated, knee-jerk, contradictory response that comes to mind. I can't tell you how many times where it was abundantly clear that a manager didn't really focus on what I said, that they just skimmed the surface of the conversation and came up with a response that was only marginally relevant to the issue.

Stop assuming that quiet people don't have sales skills. We simply have a different approach that can work just as well, if not better, depending on the situation. You cannot force people to be extroverts. It is not a superior way of being and working against an individual's natural abilities is a recipe for disaster.

ok part time work

Store Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Prosgreat company more training needed

Consmore hours and more training

It's like any other retail job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you like the products, it's nice to get the discount. If you have a good store manager calling off is easy and they work well with school commitments. It's also very easy to relocate.

ConsThe pay is terrible and annual raises are only $0.10-0.15. My raises seem nonexistent when minimum wage goes up. There isn't a whole lot of room for advancement. They is a lot of lifting, ladder climbing and furniture moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a moment to figure out what your associates do on a daily basis, it's much more then you are paying them to do.

Part time only for sales asscoiates

Reno, NV

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsI acutally enjoyed my time with Pier1, the discount is good, and one of the two stores I worked at was a good experience. You get $50 to spend in the store around xmas if you've been there for 6 mos, and the uniform is pretty laid back (unless you complain about it)

ConsPier 1 stalks their employees facebooks...when Pier1 changed their dress code about 3-4 years ago I posted something like this on my facebook, "Sad that my work is switching the dress code, oh well" and maybe something about not wearing jeans was in the mix....well about 5 days later, I get pulled into the office, and my manager hands me a copy, that was faxed from the corp. regarding my post via facebook and pretty much warned me about saying stuff about the company on newtworking sites...It wasn't even serious! lol...should I have said "My manager discriminates between young and old and makes her older associates sell on the floor and gives them more hours while us younger people slave away over the freight truck and are assigned 8 hours a week?" I worked at Reno/Tahoe and I loved the Tahoe store but the Reno store was a horrible experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the district manager: Be more interactive with your sales associates while you visit, maybe set up a list of questions to ensure satisfactory while employed..do role play with your associates
To the manager: If you hire older people, don't hand them the golden ticket out of doing freight, while I was there I slaved over the frieght truck each shift. And I really felt that because I was younger, more flixible, and quick; this was used against me.

It was Okay

Cashier (Former Employee)
Waco, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsSmells good, nice people, easy work, good morning hours. It was an excellent opportunity to grow my customer service and communication skills. I was hired quickly.

ConsEVERYTHING breaks, hard to sell stuff that is crap, couldn't believe in product, late nights, have to re-do the store every month, nothing to do when it's slow. Hired me, but didn't put me on the floor till a month in. No training.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy bosses kept getting fired!

very positive, loved all the associates and great working environment. I loved going to work everyday!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat working environment, great merchandise, positive people

Consmoving the furniture was not fun

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All 426 reviews posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.