Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros:
  • "Employee discount, mostly friendly customers, fun products, Reasonable hours"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to get customers to sign up for the company credit card like your job depends on it"
    in 66 reviews
  • "The pay for part-time workers is about what you would get working for just about any other minimum wage job"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dangerous Stockroom @ the Divisional Office Store

Sales Leader (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsI no longer have to work there!

Cons40Ft trucks that arrive between 4am and 12pm noon. You have only two maybe three people to unload ALL of it. It must ALL be processed in 24 hours. Items are stacked sky high and fall as you alone ( because there are never enough staff in the store no matter the square footage, and someone always has to be on the sales floor) try to get them out for a customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a premium pay for associates to work overnight shifts and in the stockroom.

Underpaid; overworked, high expectations; no incentive

Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros-Good first job to learn retail, but get out AS SOON as you find something better-- even a little better
-25% additional employee discount, even on promotional sale items (up to 45% off, though I've heard that's not much in other jobs)

Cons-No matter HOW HARD you work, you will NOT get a raise until at LEAST a year of employment. And that's not even guaranteed. Some people get about .05 or up to .17 on their year raises. And management acts so gracious about it.
-Daily demands, including making at least 5 people sign up for spam email or more junk mail, and weekly, playing with people's credit for a very faulty system (Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card)
-Physically demanding, mentally draining. Climb up ladders and grab chairs, greeting every single customer and bothering them about signing up for the catalog, or the card, or the promotions, or this-or-that. The rule is "until they say stop three times"...

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees accordingly for doing a good job.
Stop with the catalog and pier 1 card. The card is more hassle than it saves people's money.

The worst place I have ever worked!

Distribution Center Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

ProsMy peers and submitting my resignation.

ConsWorking as a member of management in the Savannah, GA DC was one of the worst experiences that I have ever encountered in my career. It was one of the most unprofessional enviroments that I have worked in. This company has no concept of work-life balance, working their supervisors 70 to 80 hours a week. The upper management team acted in a disrespectful and unethical manner. Resigning from this job has been one of the best decisions I have made in quiite some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose your Savannah DC or change the DC Director(dictator)

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst experience of my career

DC Supervisor (Current Employee)
Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for less than a year

ProsImmediate employee discount on Pier 1 Import products
Three paid holidays per year
Flexible schedules for part-time employees

ConsThe management is a dictatorship. There is little to no interaction between upper and lower management. Any questions or suggestions are treated as a direct betrayal. Forget about career progression or mentoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the management team and their outdated management style.

Underpaid

State College, PA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's nice to see the new products and meet nice fellow employees.

ConsOur general manager is demeaning and kept an employee working even when they were struck with a stomach flu. He has broken items and leaves the mess for other employees to clean it up and write off without telling anyone. I wish our general manager didn't "coach" us in and describe how we need to get people to sign up for the card and the things that are on sale for every shift.

Advice to Senior Management* Get rid of flex shifts
* Set schedules 2 weeks in advance & don't change them
* Give employees breaks every 2 hours, not every 6 hours; employees shouldn't have to ask for bathroom breaks and told they can't
* Update the computer system - it freezes all the time
* Hire a cleaning staff to scrub toilets, vacuum and mop
* Make sure there are men on staff that can lift the heavy furniture
* Have a regional manager check up on the general manager and do surprise visits to see how employees are really treated
* Pay your employees higher than minimum wage
* Employees should be able to call off sick even if they can't find a sub
* Have managers find subs for employees
* Paid sick and holidays shouldn't be on the website as a perk since they aren't offered to part-time employees

Store Manager is BAD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros- Discount
 - Friends I've made
 - ppl I've met

ConsMY store manager does nothing to assist and support the team. She sits in the office, talks on the phone for most of her shift and places an unrealistic amount of work on the sales leadership team and associates. Considering she is the only salaried employee in the building, it only makes sense that she should be the one to help offset payroll with getting more involved with transitions, truck processing, etc. Rather than complaining when we run over payroll (which is every week) and blaming everyone else for it, become part of the solution rather than the core of the problem! I've never worked with a manager before who lacks the basic social skills necessary to run a business. I'm not ranting, just stating what goes on in my store. Everyone else's experience will vary based on the competency of the manager they work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your Regional Managers to put a better thumb on Store Managers! You may be in for a very unpleasant surprise.

Abusive labor practices at Pier1 Distribution Centers.

Distribution Center Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

ProsNot a single one that I am aware of.

ConsSupervisors make much, much less per hour than hourly employees after overtime hours are factored in. D.C. supervisors are forced to work 70-90 hours per week with ZERO additional compensation. No concern whatsoever for a healthy family/ work life balance. Upper management could care less about the impact of an 80 hour workweek on spouses and other family members. First company I have ever seen where it's all about getting the work done at any and all costs including family relationships and health. If you are interested in a salaried supervisor position at Pier1 I suggest you quickly look elsewhere unless you have no personal life and do not mind working 80 hours per week with no overtime pay. This is NOT a fabricated story by an ex. employee. This is the God's honest truth. Upper Management stated that it would only be busy during Holiday periods but it's been the same story for over a year. No slowing down. Just tons of work and not enough additional manpower to get it done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDallas Headquarters executive management and H.R. management!!!!! Take notice of the hours being worked by your D.C. employees and make the appropriate hiring decisions ( increase staffing needs) so that your good employees don't burn out and aren't lost. Trust me . YOU WILL LOSE your good people driving them like slaves. I am the spouse of a current supervisor who will soon be a former employee. The NLRB has also been contacted.

Pier 1 Imports over 1 Billion in sales and you make your sales people scrub toilets and mop floors... Thats just wrong!

Sales Leader (Current Employee)
Holladay, UT

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee Discount...whoopie, low pay, no hours and flex shifts

ConsPut your life on hold for a Flexshifts? No benefits whatsoever. No hours over 20 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Expected to work between 6 AM TO 4 AM with no additional pay. Heavy lifting and a filthy, dirty, unhealthy environment. 2 full time employees and 20 part time. Turn over is 4-6 people every month at the store I work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your sales associates and sales leaders as team members and not as janitors and dock workers. I think the stores mangers have about the same ratings as the CEO...you all suck.

Stay away from this company!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Harvey, LA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsClose to my house!
Better businesses nearby!

ConsManager is very clicky,made a mockery out of me behind my back,really no training at ALL, working four hour work days not worth the gas!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to your employees.

Overworked, underpaid, and unappreicated!

Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsStore discount, good friendships with other sales associates

ConsCatty management, being looked down upon because of your position, berating customers to open a credit card, long hours of being on your feet while not being able to sit down, no creativity, expensive products that are of low quality, stuck up or just plain rude customers.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All 426 reviews posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.