Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job(in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy(in 88 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break)(in 31 reviews)

Wilsonville Pier 1

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsJim was a fantastic manager, very willing to help you succeed.

Conshours sucked- most part time only got 8-10 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot familiar with current management- employee incentives were nice, past management was fantastic.

I loved working for Pier 1.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Discount !!! Great people !!! Ability to invest in yourself and move up in the company. Great management training. Ability to customize your store visually to represent your area. Even once leaving the company in my management role to pursue another full time opportunity I remained attached to Pier 1, for seasonal help around the holidays, and to help with visual and floor moves. Couldn't give up the discount ! :-)

ConsPayroll hours can be challenging. It can also be a physical job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the expectations of the visual changes can be counterproductive.

Needs a lot of improvement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful building to work in (Headquarters). Free parking. Great cafeteria.

ConsComputer software broken more often than not. Crazy hours. Lack of permanent seating. Pay is so-so. Not competitive pay. When you hire on they make it seem like you are going to contribute to the company and be an important part of it. I didn't see that. Roller-coaster shifts. Different start time each day and no two days in a row off. No way to plan. Job description not accurate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional. Know your employees and take a genuine interest in them. Quit paying lip service to questions and problems that arise. Please be aware that your employees are your company. Be pro-active instead of running around looking for the next meeting. Way too many meetings at this company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Place To Work!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe best reasons to have a job at Pier 1 are that you get to make a positive impact on your customers lives daily. You are helping them finds furniture, accessories or gifts that they will love for a lifetime. Before I ever worked for Pier 1 some of my favorite furniture was from there!

ConsChanging Promotions monthly is very time consuming. There must be a better system put in place.
    There is a lot of heavy lifting involved, but usually with another team member. Make sure you eat your Wheaties!

Advice to Senior ManagementI know a lot of my employees never really knew of open positions in other stores or areas without my bringing it up. Pier 1 should list positions weekly on the portal for managers to print for their associates. It might better help with internal promotion.

Asst. manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are lucky enough to reach full time for the company the benefits are really great. My fellow associates are also really amazing people and I find that our company attracts a great quirky associate who makes working so much fun.

ConsStock processing is a huge area that needs to be focused on. It's continuously changing and the expectations are changed every other year. I don't think corporate has a true understanding of how much time and energy it takes to do the tasks that we are assigned. Low pay and high expectations plus the idea that we should have a staff that only works maybe 10 hrs a week( if they are lucky) Per person is really unrealistic. We loose so many great associates because of the need for them to have hours in order to actually live.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time in store across the country to get a true understanding of what it takes to actually run the tasks that you have set us out to do.

Fun placeto work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsGreat products, wonderful coworkers, enjoy working with customers

ConsNot enough working hours given

Advice to Senior ManagementNever get called in on flex time. Not enough w rking hours given per week. Low Pay

Hard Work And Pressure For Little to No Payoff

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsMy store had very friendly associates that were likable and made it feel like a family. Being a straight, college age guy, there is very little temptation to spend my paycheck here. After 3 years of working here, I've begun to feel confident in my product knowledge coming from knowing nothing about interior decor.

ConsConstant demand for opening credit cards, getting emails, and surveys from customers. Working on hand and knee for customers that treat you like dirt for barely above minimum wage. Many customers I spoke with thought we earned at least $11 starting wage plus commission. Very few hours available and a full 8 hour shift maybe once every other month. End of year performance reviews are from 1-5 and unless you meet your high quota every week, you'll get either a 2 or 3.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the associates. The customer is right most of the time but not always. Change the store and website systems from Microsoft Silverlight to Flash. Why use a new program that still has many bugs and performance issues instead of a tried and true 20+ year old program that is used by almost everyone.

Great atmosphere

ProsPraise from management when doing well, new customer interaction, great music, nice and friendly co-workers

ConsNO HOURS!!!! Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break). Also, we are put in the system for flex shifts which takes up your day- you're not even guaranteed to work it. Lastly, we don't get paid enough. Sales associates are required to clean bathrooms, go on ladders, and unload the truck.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hours or stop hiring new employees every 2 seconds!!!

A small store for a small experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Prosdiscount, short shifts, co-workers can be fun, nice environment, not the worst customer base

Consexpected to do a lot for minimum wage, heavy lifting with little to no help, managers who let position go to their head, no room to grow, little communication, no incentives whatsoever-expected to reach card and survey goals with no extra pay or reward

Advice to Senior Managementgive some sort of prize to the employees for reaching goals besides a high five, even candy would be a step up. Have more than one sales associate work at a time in case there are call offs, sudden illness, or just needed extra help and lifting.

PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER: hourly pay is very low, no commissions and no incentives to try harder!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Port St Lucie, FL

Prosfun to meet new people and help them decorate.

Consneed better hourly wage, bonuses, incentives to employees and have equal pay from store to store.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany need to pay their employees more than min. wage. You expect us to sell furniture and home décor, open up credit cards and more and there is no incentive when you make $8.00 an hr. You want to boost your market, start with you employers!!

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!