Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job(in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy(in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break)(in 31 reviews)

Loved the atmosphere.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt was a great place to work for me. My store manager was very nice and upbeat, but she did expect a lot from us. Very positive though and a great experience for me.

ConsThere wasn't much I didn't like about Pier 1 Imports. The music soundtracks got old, but that was about it.

Best retailer to work for

Store Manager (Current Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsThey truly care about their employees, from the bottom up. GREAT benefits for Full time employees. They encourage feedback from the store level.

ConsTypical cons in retail.....SCHEDULE! (BUT they are much better than MANY retailers out there!)

Wonderful

Store Manager (Current Employee) Stafford, VA

ProsThe product and culture of the business

ConsI don't have any cons :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for various career choices

Regional Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat company to work for in terms of growth and development.

ConsThe processing of truck in such a small stockroom

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing to keep the company moving forward

Great atmosphere to work in!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Bourbonnais, IL

ProsI love the people I work with, its like a well knit family. We work hard but we have so much fun working the floor together! Awesome opportunities to move up.

ConsHaving a life outside of work can be rather difficult with different shift day to day and week to week.

pier 1 is a store and a familyl

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wheaton, IL

Prosstaff is very close and friendly. managers are very supportive and generally support associates with tools on how to meet their goals rather than bossing them around. its a fun place to work if you are people oriented

Consnever a chance to sit down until after your shift, or on break if you are an associate .

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the supportive role you offer the associates and pay increases would be a great incentive as well

Sometimes a bit "home grown," but very genuine...

Store Manager (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsFlexible schedule, fantastic resources, tenured multi-unit and corporate team

ConsDisconnect between line management, the field, and corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementPier 1 Imports was a phenomenal company to work for. The multi-unit/district management throughout the country is very tenured and many, many corporate contacts have been with the brand for years. The company has a very cohesive vision and goal, and gives stores extremely challenging goals to meet (but they are not unrealistic). When I worked there, we were a little too lax about the return policy, and "trucks" are absolutely insane... sometimes one or two stock guys and a manager were unloading hundreds of boxes for hours in the pouring rain or a blizzard on an uncovered loading dock. The stockrooms are extremely small and I always felt that more selling cost (payroll) could be diverted to hiring a larger stock team. I also had a divisional director who, at the time, was extremely unprofessional and in the end, I left the company and a promising future with Pier 1 because of his behavior and lack of genuine regard for our store and the team. However, all things said, the product is fun and funky, the visual merchandising is clear and standardized, and the company's overall mission statement is very cohesive. I feel overall Pier 1 truly valued me, my team, and our customers.

Great Way To Advance

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsI started out as a Sales Associate and only 2 years later got promoted to the ASM Position. Pier 1 is not your typical retail store. If you are looking to just stand around and ring customer purchases, then this company is not for you. You have to absolutely from day one have naturally strong sales skills and know not only how to sale the product, but the store's credit card as well. As far a management, if you think your job is going to be an over paid babysitter, then you are wrong! As an ASM you will be responsible for organizing and executing monthly sale's promotions (store sales) on top of couching your associates to be effectively sellers, all the way ensure that you and your team are doing everything you can to meet the daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly sale goals.

ConsThe company is great, however the expectations for opening new credit card accounts can be a little overwhelming, especially with some what unrealistic goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a deeper look into the logistics and demographic of your stores and ensure your regional/ territory managers are giving equal attention to everyone. I understand why higher volume stores would receive more attention, but I feel as a manager I would want everyone on my team to be strong and not put pressure on my few top performers to carry the weight of the team.

Great place to work.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsGreat management, awesome employee discount, wonderful product to work with, excellent training. Overall a great place for an entry level position

ConsThe only con I can think of is that you have to work weekends, holidays, etc. But that is the nature of the beast in retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Family oriented-good work/life balance-

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery family oriented, stress good work/life balance-pay is good and comparable to other companies,

ConsLean staffing means your responsibilities sometimes did not match your skill set yet expectation was to stretch your skill set to the maximum potential

Advice to Senior Managementif you're running company with a lean staff, remember the teams that are left can suffer from feeling overworked, lack of direction, and feeling that there is no room for promotion or growth within the department

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!