Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros:
  • "The employee discount was the only thing good about the job"
    in 56 reviews
  • "Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to get customers to sign up for the company credit card like your job depends on it"
    in 78 reviews
  • "It's only part-time, unless you're the assistant manager or store manager"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worst experience of my career

DC Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Aberdeen, MD

ProsImmediate employee discount on Pier 1 Import products
    Three paid holidays per year
    Flexible schedules for part-time employees

ConsThe management is a dictatorship. There is little to no interaction between upper and lower management. Any questions or suggestions are treated as a direct betrayal. Forget about career progression or mentoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the management team and their outdated management style.

Underpaid

State College, PA

ProsIt's nice to see the new products and meet nice fellow employees.

ConsOur general manager is demeaning and kept an employee working even when they were struck with a stomach flu. He has broken items and leaves the mess for other employees to clean it up and write off without telling anyone. I wish our general manager didn't "coach" us in and describe how we need to get people to sign up for the card and the things that are on sale for every shift.

Advice to Senior Management* Get rid of flex shifts
    * Set schedules 2 weeks in advance & don't change them
    * Give employees breaks every 2 hours, not every 6 hours; employees shouldn't have to ask for bathroom breaks and told they can't
    * Update the computer system - it freezes all the time
    * Hire a cleaning staff to scrub toilets, vacuum and mop
    * Make sure there are men on staff that can lift the heavy furniture
    * Have a regional manager check up on the general manager and do surprise visits to see how employees are really treated
    * Pay your employees higher than minimum wage
    * Employees should be able to call off sick even if they can't find a sub
    * Have managers find subs for employees
    * Paid sick and holidays shouldn't be on the website as a perk since they aren't offered to part-time employees

Store Manager is BAD

Pros- Discount
     - Friends I've made
     - ppl I've met

ConsMY store manager does nothing to assist and support the team. She sits in the office, talks on the phone for most of her shift and places an unrealistic amount of work on the sales leadership team and associates. Considering she is the only salaried employee in the building, it only makes sense that she should be the one to help offset payroll with getting more involved with transitions, truck processing, etc. Rather than complaining when we run over payroll (which is every week) and blaming everyone else for it, become part of the solution rather than the core of the problem! I've never worked with a manager before who lacks the basic social skills necessary to run a business. I'm not ranting, just stating what goes on in my store. Everyone else's experience will vary based on the competency of the manager they work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your Regional Managers to put a better thumb on Store Managers! You may be in for a very unpleasant surprise.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abusive labor practices at Pier1 Distribution Centers.

Distribution Center Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsNot a single one that I am aware of.

ConsSupervisors make much, much less per hour than hourly employees after overtime hours are factored in. D.C. supervisors are forced to work 70-90 hours per week with ZERO additional compensation. No concern whatsoever for a healthy family/ work life balance. Upper management could care less about the impact of an 80 hour workweek on spouses and other family members. First company I have ever seen where it's all about getting the work done at any and all costs including family relationships and health. If you are interested in a salaried supervisor position at Pier1 I suggest you quickly look elsewhere unless you have no personal life and do not mind working 80 hours per week with no overtime pay. This is NOT a fabricated story by an ex. employee. This is the God's honest truth. Upper Management stated that it would only be busy during Holiday periods but it's been the same story for over a year. No slowing down. Just tons of work and not enough additional manpower to get it done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDallas Headquarters executive management and H.R. management!!!!! Take notice of the hours being worked by your D.C. employees and make the appropriate hiring decisions ( increase staffing needs) so that your good employees don't burn out and aren't lost. Trust me . YOU WILL LOSE your good people driving them like slaves. I am the spouse of a current supervisor who will soon be a former employee. The NLRB has also been contacted.

Pier 1 Imports over 1 Billion in sales and you make your sales people scrub toilets and mop floors... Thats just wrong!

Sales Leader (Current Employee)
    Holladay, UT

ProsEmployee Discount...whoopie, low pay, no hours and flex shifts

ConsPut your life on hold for a Flexshifts? No benefits whatsoever. No hours over 20 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Expected to work between 6 AM TO 4 AM with no additional pay. Heavy lifting and a filthy, dirty, unhealthy environment. 2 full time employees and 20 part time. Turn over is 4-6 people every month at the store I work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your sales associates and sales leaders as team members and not as janitors and dock workers. I think the stores mangers have about the same ratings as the CEO...you all suck.

Stay away from this company!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Harvey, LA

ProsClose to my house!
    Better businesses nearby!

ConsManager is very clicky,made a mockery out of me behind my back,really no training at ALL, working four hour work days not worth the gas!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to your employees.

Overworked, underpaid, and unappreicated!

Fort Worth, TX

ProsStore discount, good friendships with other sales associates

ConsCatty management, being looked down upon because of your position, berating customers to open a credit card, long hours of being on your feet while not being able to sit down, no creativity, expensive products that are of low quality, stuck up or just plain rude customers.

Expect nothing from Pier One Imports

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Saint Joseph, MO

ProsGood for anyone that only want to work a few hours each week for employee discount.

ConsNo benefits for employees except a few vacation hours if average over 20 hours a week. Most associates are limited status, under 12 hours a week. Hourly wage very low, yearly raises are a few cents. Health insurance offered to associates is not a real health insurance policy, premiums can take an entire pay check. Managers are not paid much more than associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to improve salary and wages to attract and to maintain qualified employees.

Miserable

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-Merchandise is fun.
    -The discount is okay.
    -The benefits are decent if you're full time, but you won't have any time get off to make appointments.

Cons-The merchandise is not made very well.
    -There is a huge lack of communication between stores, corporate, and the warehouse.
    -Operations is completely disorganized.
    -District Managers love to micro-manage.
    -No life outside of Pier 1.
    -Training is not a priority.

Advice to Senior Management-Hire people who's only responsibility is to train your district managers and store managers, and all new management.
    -Train DM to use positive feedback when coaching. (most of my associates were terrified of my DM.)
    -Give associates more payroll hours and the turn over won't be so great.
    -Treat all of your employees better. Treat employees how you want your customers treated.

Worst Job Ever

Norfolk, VA

ProsIts a smaller store than say Wal-Mart or Target, so its easier to build connections with customers and have fun with a lot of the regulars who come in. Team members are generally friendly and easy to work with. Merchandise discount is generous.

ConsCompensation is pitiful and the workload is heavy. There were several occasions when I had to unload a truckload of merchandise by myself. I think it was actually against company policy for me to do that, but managers tend to pick and choose which rules they adhere to and which are okay to just cast aside. There is an obscene amount of pressure on associates to open credit cards, all while expecting them to watch an entire sales floor with maybe one or two other people for backup. Every customer is supposed to be greeted, shown a new product, checked back on while shopping , offered the rewards card 3 times, and given a reason to return. Despite making my sales goals and having a standing reputation as the most reliable person on schedule I still recieved only "Average" marks on my perfomance reviews, which was probably done so that they could avoid giving me a raise. After working there for 4 years I was making about $7.82 an hour. Everyone I worked with said it was the worst job they ever had. Do yourself a favor and look for work in a better place where you will be paid what you are worth and treated with respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not going to make it another 50 years if you keep things running things the way you do now. Your positions need to pay better and offer more benefits to employees. Also, all levels of management should be held responsible for their actions instead of making scapegoats of lower rung workers.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All 505 reviews posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.