Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 111 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of selling behaviors.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% discount, learn visual merchandising skills, be surrounded by beautiful products.

Cons

Suppression of costs translates to poor employee compensation, including subpar insurance, minimal raises, short work shifts, etc.

Invest in your associates a little more. A lot of talent slips through the cracks when you treat lower level employees like they're disposable.

A great company which values its employees.

Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management, opportunities to cross train, great pay, great benefits

Cons

Sometimes production goals can be hard to reach

Stay great

Teamwork and fun loving environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working here partime works out real well because I can take time off for going back to school, vacations, or whatever needed

Cons

2 weeks of Scheduling is done in advance so make sure you have your days off set on teamworks

Be open to hear and listen to all associates when they have personal issues

Wonderful Associates!

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Woonderful people to work with. Customers are generally a pleasure. Great products. The employee discount is acceptable.

Cons

Pay is low compared to other retailers. Lots of early mornings if your part of the truck team. Lots of late nights if your part of the transition team.

No longer offers benefits to part time associates.

Does not promote with-in like they could.

A just your pay and promotion scale.

I thought it would be a fun place to work as I had a lot of Pier One accessories in my home.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, 25% off starting on your first day of work. Interesting and fun items to sell. Customers like coming in to the stores as you never know what you will find.

Cons

Very high turnover of employees, at least at the store I work at. Lots that you have to learn on the pos system. POS uses a touch screen which is slow and unresponsive some times. A keyboard would be much faster. They don't explain the hours you will be asked to work, some mornings starting a 5AM, nights that go past midnight. VERY physical work,
    lifting heavy items, going up and down on tall ladders, cleaning of store, stock and freight work, you do it all. Lots of glassware everywhere on very old fixtures, and stacked on high shelves. I find this kind of dangerous and always worry about bumping into certain units as some are not level. Schedules are done at the last minute with some days being a ? or what P1 calls a flex day. Too much customer info wanted at POS which slows down the process and some customers are very annoyed by it. They harp on you about getting P1 credit cards all day long.

Managements idea of incentive for employees is sending cookies or candy. or giving us a little kids sticker on a bulletin board with our name on it. It's as if they think we are five year olds. I would clean up the odd mix of merchandise that is still in the P1 inventory, finger puppets and yo yos, junk like that really looks tacky in a store that is wanting to sell sofas that are in the $800.00 range. I am glad to see that P1 is starting to offer a more contemporary look in the furniture styles and less of the fancy old parlor look. I think pricing of a lot of our items is high compared to our competition ( Ikea, Wayfair). Even with my discount I can ususally find a similar item at a lower cost.

So many flaws in what seems to be a high-class store.

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People you work with are great.

Cons

The scheduling is ridiculous. Even as a part-time sales associate employee, you should get two days off in a week, most do not. Also, those two days should be put together so you have an opportunity to have some life outside Pier 1. The times sales leaders are being scheduled are at all times of the day. There is no consistency. Time allotted for projects is not estimated well. The LOA policy is very suspicious and hush-hush. No one is allowed to communicate with those on LOA for some odd reason, causing awkwardness among the associates.

Items with the smallest damage are instantly "damaged out." Meaning ripped-up, spray painted, sawed to pieces, etc. Most items could be used for other purposes or refurbished by someone with the talent. We should not be wasting our resources as much as Pier 1 does.

Being promoted from part-time sales leader to full-time sales leader should require a raise. Demand on P1RCC is nearly impossible some months. Make up your mind on whether or not you allow coupons. If you do, allow ones on coupon sites. Store managers must be more qualified. More hours should be assigned to certain tasks. Allow some sort of fraternization. Being friends on Facebook will only build employee morale. It should be up to each individual on whether they want to be social media friends.

sales lead

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Daphne, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Daphne, AL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, flexible hours when fully staffed.

Cons

-It's hard to keep the store fully staffed when the company pays so low and offers so few hours to associates and sales leads.
    - you are expected to do a lot a work for little pay
    - the work is very accident prone and very physical. If you aren't strong or willing to work your butt off, forget it.

My store managers were wonderful and very caring, so no advice needed here.

Non sense

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Salary
    Some people
    A good step for your next job
    Expensive benefits
    Learning experience of what not to do

Cons

60 per week
    Managers
    Safety
    No logic
    They loose a Supervisor every 3 months

Take care of your supervisors

Overnight Stock Coordinator

Current Employee - Overnight Stock Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Overnight Stock Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is interesting if you are creative. If you like to arrange furniture and design displays that will be appealing to the consumer. If you are working in the New York City Area you are compensated weekly instead of Bi-Weekly.

Cons

Compensation is no competitive and under satisfactory for the amount of work and commitment required. Leadership is reactive instead of pro-active. You will consistently be understaffed and over worked. There isn't any effective training to elevate the efficiency and productivity of the team as well as your role. The office culture is very catty and competitive. There are constant violations of H.R confidentiality agreement. If you don't mind it being shared then do tell all. Mediocre Benefit package.

Listen to your employees. Appreciate them and raise morale.

Very little room for advancement

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were generally very friendly and helpful. Management was really nice and they are very good about working around your schedule.

Cons

This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week. This might be an ideal situation for someone that's semi-retired looking to get out of the house, or a college/high school student, or if you're just looking for a second job.Every sales associate is considered a "limited employee", meaning they are all part time and not one of them can work more than 20 hrs a week. You'll be lucky to work 10 hrs a week, because they hire such a large amount of sales associates and keep them all working just a couple days per week. The only way to get more hours is to be promoted to a management position, and that's very unlikely to happen considering there are a lot of sales associates that have been there for years, trying to move up in the company. And if you DO move up, you'll hardly get a raise and you'll work maybe, 30 hrs a week (not even full time). They push the Pier 1 card way too hard on customers, and train the employees to badger the customers and follow them around the store trying to get them to buy something. They push employees way too hard to make sales. The sales goals are completely unrealistic.

Quality not quantity..hire less sales associates and give them more hours, better pay and benefits. Set REALISTIC sales goals and don't push your associates to annoy customers into buying something or signing up for the pier 1 card. Most shoppers do not like to be pestered into buying or signing up for something