Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job(in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy(in 88 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break)(in 31 reviews)

Great Place to Work !

Sales Leader (Current Employee) Merrillville, IN

ProsHere is a place where we are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. We are able to use our creative side to help people bring together the look they have envisioned for a room, a space, or an event. The sales and discounts we inform our guest about always puts a smile on their faces. It's a very satisfying feeling when we make that connection.

ConsTook about three days for my feet to get use to the standing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. Just a comment: She makes herself always available to her team. She knows a great team is the reflection of a great Manager.

Enjoyable place to work

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Manhasset, NY

ProsGreat working environment. Flexibility and opportunity for growth are apparent at Pier 1. Management values associate feedback.

ConsThis is one of the top retail companies and hard work is appreciated by upper management.

As a seasonal sales associate I had a great time working with Pier One in visual merchandising.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) West Bend, WI

ProsMy immediate supervisor and her supervisor were really friendly and easy to work with. I learned a lot about home decor and furniture- as this was my first time in a home store- in my time there. I feel I made big advancements in my sales approaches. Coming into work was like coming into a friend's home and I feel like customers felt that way every time as well. Great company values. The compensation was above average and the 25% discount was fantastic!

ConsWhile pay was great, hours were lacking. It takes quite a while to move up in the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience, nice people

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Royal Oak, MI

ProsGreat customers, friendly people. Interesting pieces for sale.

ConsPay isn't great. Stock room is always very dirty, and often very cold.

I enjoyed working there.

Sales Leader (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsGood sales bonuses and fair when asking time off.

ConsRetail hours are not always the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo try to be more relate-able to your staff members.

As a new hire, the work place seems promising.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsThe discount isn't bad and the coworkers seem friendly enough. Management seems like they have it together. Time will tell.

ConsNot sure how I feel about pushing that PR1CC onto customers. But it's part of the job so I'll do it without sounding too pushy or desperate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into current employees seeking more work hours. Share the work load.

Overall, a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe best part of working at the Pier 1 home office is the people. Lots of good quality people. The second best part is the four weeks paid vacation. After that, it's all typical corporate stuff.

ConsThe worst thing is there is virtually no upward mobility. Don't plan on being promoted anytime soon after getting hired. The second worst thing part is the low pay. No bonuses paid out while I was there. So, don't let the recruiters sway with you promises of extra money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to promote people.

Great experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat products, great discount, great work enviroment

ConsLong hours especially when the seasons change.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of.

Fun People, lots of sales pressure

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsThe merchandise is beautiful, and you get to meet a lot of designers

Consemployees are underpaid. Lots of sales pressure.

Advice to Senior Managementpush for more frequent raises for good employees and give them a break on needing to constantly get customers to sign up for credit cards

Pleasant atmosphere until behind doors

Customer Representative (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of nice people work there.

ConsPoor wage ($8) for a company that sells its items for so much. They demand you train on all current sales and sell their credit card just to KEEP your job. You receive no bonuses. They MIGHT buy you a doughnut.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. That includes not threatening your managers or employees for doing good work.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!