Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Reset
3.2
Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Even the customers were fun to work with (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely pushy with the credit card (in 117 reviews)

• There are many outrageous expectations for part time sales associates to meet in this job yet they have an issue paying you for it (in 44 reviews)

it was the worst etail company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

The only reaso to work for Pier 1 is the product.

Cons

senior mgt thought they were all that. employees were always wrong compensation was very poor benefits not competitive

A lot of work for very little in return

Pros

relaxed dress code proximity to where I live

Cons

Management blurs the line between personal and professional, certain members of staff shouldn't know managements personal problems, either post them to all or be quiet about them. Forced to follow customers around especially those that seem to "fit" a stereotype of a shoplifter. Forced to offer a CREDIT card as a REWARDS card and not being able to tell the customer the apr which is 24.99 or 25.99 New hires come in at a higher salary than those who have worked for a year or more. One could go on, the point is that Pier1 has an attitude that the employees are lucky to have a job, the more pressing question for Pier1 to consder that IF a new retail establishment were to open who treated employees fairly, paid a decent wage with raises that amounted to something, how many of your employees would you have left? Four hours a day because Pier 1 says that some study has shown that people are unproductive after four hours of work, funny how that logic flys out the window when you are needed in a pinch. As for the discount, keep it, pay me better, offer health insurance and I will buy the goods I want just like any other customer.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, and keep your personal life to yourself, one shouldn't poop where they eat. Stop following and spying on your employees while on the floor. Stop asking us to lie to customers about the Pier 1 CREDIT card

3. horrible horrible pay for the amount of physical work you have to do

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

not bad product to sell lots of crap from china.

Cons

horrible upper management, low pay, if you happen to have an issue don't expect any support from HR or upper management they will take the info you gave them and use it against you.

Advice to Management

higher pay for the work. need to really really re-evaluate corporate HR practices.

Worst Job Ever

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a smaller store than say Wal-Mart or Target, so its easier to build connections with customers and have fun with a lot of the regulars who come in. Team members are generally friendly and easy to work with. Merchandise discount is generous.

Cons

Compensation is pitiful and the workload is heavy. There were several occasions when I had to unload a truckload of merchandise by myself. I think it was actually against company policy for me to do that, but managers tend to pick and choose which rules they adhere to and which are okay to just cast aside. There is an obscene amount of pressure on associates to open credit cards, all while expecting them to watch an entire sales floor with maybe one or two other people for backup. Every customer is supposed to be greeted, shown a new product, checked back on while shopping , offered the rewards card 3 times, and given a reason to return. Despite making my sales goals and having a standing reputation as the most reliable person on schedule I still recieved only "Average" marks on my perfomance reviews, which was probably done so that they could avoid giving me a raise. After working there for 4 years I was making about $7.82 an hour. Everyone I worked with said it was the worst job they ever had. Do yourself a favor and look for work in a better place where you will be paid what you are worth and treated with respect.

Advice to Management

You are not going to make it another 50 years if you keep things running things the way you do now. Your positions need to pay better and offer more benefits to employees. Also, all levels of management should be held responsible for their actions instead of making scapegoats of lower rung workers.

Overworked, underpaid, and unappreicated!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store discount, good friendships with other sales associates

Cons

Catty management, being looked down upon because of your position, berating customers to open a credit card, long hours of being on your feet while not being able to sit down, no creativity, expensive products that are of low quality, stuck up or just plain rude customers.

7. Pier 1 Imports over 1 Billion in sales and you make your sales people scrub toilets and mop floors... Thats just wrong!

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Holladay, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Holladay, UT

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount...whoopie, low pay, no hours and flex shifts

Cons

Put your life on hold for a Flexshifts? No benefits whatsoever. No hours over 20 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Expected to work between 6 AM TO 4 AM with no additional pay. Heavy lifting and a filthy, dirty, unhealthy environment. 2 full time employees and 20 part time. Turn over is 4-6 people every month at the store I work at.

Advice to Management

Treat your sales associates and sales leaders as team members and not as janitors and dock workers. I think the stores mangers have about the same ratings as the CEO...you all suck.

Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's nice to see the new products and meet nice fellow employees.

Cons

Our general manager is demeaning and kept an employee working even when they were struck with a stomach flu. He has broken items and leaves the mess for other employees to clean it up and write off without telling anyone. I wish our general manager didn't "coach" us in and describe how we need to get people to sign up for the card and the things that are on sale for every shift.

Advice to Management

* Get rid of flex shifts * Set schedules 2 weeks in advance & don't change them * Give employees breaks every 2 hours, not every 6 hours; employees shouldn't have to ask for bathroom breaks and told they can't * Update the computer system - it freezes all the time * Hire a cleaning staff to scrub toilets, vacuum and mop * Make sure there are men on staff that can lift the heavy furniture * Have a regional manager check up on the general manager and do surprise visits to see how employees are really treated * Pay your employees higher than minimum wage * Employees should be able to call off sick even if they can't find a sub * Have managers find subs for employees * Paid sick and holidays shouldn't be on the website as a perk since they aren't offered to part-time employees

Worst experience of my career

Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Immediate employee discount on Pier 1 Import products Three paid holidays per year Flexible schedules for part-time employees

Cons

The management is a dictatorship. There is little to no interaction between upper and lower management. Any questions or suggestions are treated as a direct betrayal. Forget about career progression or mentoring.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the management team and their outdated management style.

Underpaid; overworked, high expectations; no incentive

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good first job to learn retail, but get out AS SOON as you find something better-- even a little better -25% additional employee discount, even on promotional sale items (up to 45% off, though I've heard that's not much in other jobs)

Cons

-No matter HOW HARD you work, you will NOT get a raise until at LEAST a year of employment. And that's not even guaranteed. Some people get about .05 or up to .17 on their year raises. And management acts so gracious about it. -Daily demands, including making at least 5 people sign up for spam email or more junk mail, and weekly, playing with people's credit for a very faulty system (Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card) -Physically demanding, mentally draining. Climb up ladders and grab chairs, greeting every single customer and bothering them about signing up for the catalog, or the card, or the promotions, or this-or-that. The rule is "until they say stop three times"...

Advice to Management

Pay your employees accordingly for doing a good job. Stop with the catalog and pier 1 card. The card is more hassle than it saves people's money.

Pier One great people, lousy pay!

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, Awesome people to work with, fun product

Cons

Everything else is pretty much awful.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and they will do the same for the company

RSS Feed </> Embed