Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Reset
5.0
Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Even the customers were fun to work with (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely pushy with the credit card (in 117 reviews)

• There are many outrageous expectations for part time sales associates to meet in this job yet they have an issue paying you for it (in 44 reviews)

If you want a fun job where you can be creative work here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

This is a great company to work for. The management works with the staff and I was always proud to work at my store. We had a team invironment where if you were motivated they would groom you for management but if you were happy where you were they wouldn't push you. This job used a balance of spacial visualization and creative planning or just the ability to follow a plan.

Cons

The hours arn't always steady. If the sales reflect a need to have fewer people on the clock someone may be sent home even if they were originally scheduled to work.

Advice to Management

Thank you for providing a fun dynamic place to work.

2. Great work enviorment

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

treated fairly, great work enviorment, great customers. Merchandise is fun and diffrent. Lots of locations nation wide allow for transfers if moving. The company always promotes with in and developes skills in associates to become managers.

Cons

you want to spend too much of your own money on all the great products!

Advice to Management

Keep the mix of product unique and diffrent. Employees and customers love that about Pier 1.

What will happen in the upcoming years....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great place to work new employees will get good training for whatever dept you work in

Cons

Constantly changing not very stable if the company is doing bad there will be several lay offs. Management in some departments are very strict. Not as friendly as it started out ....more about $$ than employees, the vibe of the company is just not the same. Never understood why you would give bonuses then lay off employees in the same month...

Advice to Management

Some managers are GREAT others not so much. Talk to your employees if there is need for improvement tell them so they can improve performance.

5. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

Pros

All of the people are a great team to work with Management is easy to work with and very helpful The clients are fun Management is very informative and the communication is the best I've seen compared to other companies

Cons

The pay isn't great but raises are given every quarter or year and for a part time position its comparable.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing great!

6. Fun, exciting and rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great product, ever-changing envionment, rapid pace but fun.

Cons

Huge deadlines/constant merchandise display changes

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. As unique as the items they sell.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Flexibility with work schedules. Great store manager! Coworkers are so diverse and great to work with. The whimsical atmosphere. Uses positive reinforcement to motivate associates.

Cons

Would like more hours per week.

Advice to Management

none.

8. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Associate in Spring Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Spring Valley, NY

Pros

The company as a whole is a great company. They offer everything from health benefits to stock options. The Management is fair and the expectations are equally fair of its employees. They are very considerate when it come to taking time off They keep us in the loop about changes and information about the company We have quarterly trainings to keep us informed and prepared when assisting customers. The work enironment is fun The products are good which makes it easier to sell to a client.

Cons

The pay is a little low, but I believe it's competitive. I just wish I could make more money working here because I really love working here. I cannot afford the health care as a p/t employee, I wish I could.

Advice to Management

I would have a monthly staff meeting that is not part of a training but a forum to talk about in house situations, get ideas from employees about how things might run a little smoother. Get people more involved and perhaps assign associates with specific task that they are responsible for when they are on the floor. This would give employees a sense of responsibility and get them mor involved in the maintenance of the store.

9. Enjoyable

Current Employee - Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Associate in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The people that work there are very friendly and always helpful. Whenever i need help they always there. I feel like the managers always notice when ive done a good job and they dont pressure me to get ICs.

Cons

Some of the customers can be rude but thats with any job! I can really say thats a con for the store in itself.

10. Great college job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK

Pros

- Great co-workers -No trash talking or gossip - Great opportunities to learn about sales goal and numbers, they include you in the sales rather than hiding them from you - 25% discount to employees - The more money the company makes the more payroll hours they have to extend shifts and add hours, hardworking employees get a chance to make a few extra bucks -Managers are smart and experienced -Managers are good with giving time off if it is requested in advance -You know what your schedule is at least a week in advance -You are allowed flexible hours, great for college students are working parents -Pressure to open Pier 1 rewards cards can be high, but you only get encouragement when you have trouble, and you get praise when you do, you aren't a "failure" if you can't. - You get opportunities to do fun things, like set up for new events, and get some artistic freedom in how things are displayed -10 minute break for a 5 hour shift (paid) and a 30 break for any shift over 5 hours (unpaid)

Cons

- During the holiday's there were less hours for the permanent employees (people not JUST there for the holidays), we lost 5 or so hours a week for about a month while the seasonal employees got the same. When the season picked up and the store hours extended we went back to normal hours though. -Some of the training during the holidays was less than desired, I was constantly having to do things for, or redo things that seasonal employees messed up.

Advice to Management

Let your employees know when they are doing a good job, and give them opportunities to advance or work more hours.

11. I enjoy the time I spend working at Pier 1

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toms River, NJ

Pros

We sell some of the most unique home furnishings and have the best smelling candles with new fragrance lines arriving.

Cons

Transitions can be difficult and not always alotted enough time or people to get the task completed as per company directive

Advice to Management

I feel the leadership team at Toms River is good at keeping the associates aware of company goals through daily sales chats.

RSS Feed </> Embed