Pier 1 Imports

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Part Time Retail

Current Employee - Former Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Former Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning to merchandise and interacting with customers who are excited about interior decorating.

Cons

Flex-time scheduling is really ridiculous. We are part-time employees who barely earn over minimum wage - we are not Emergency Room physicians. The Pier 1 "Rewards" card obsession which forces us to "work" every customer and the customer ends up getting very annoyed.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Fun product, nice coworkers and customers, employee discount

Cons

Over-promoting of store credit card, very labor-intensive at times

Fun place to work; low pay.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The atmosphere at Pier One is very lively and fun and for the most part, the employees are alot of fun to work with as well. The merchandise is great and you get a 25 percent employee discount which is nice.

Cons

Low starting pay. I received "Sales Associate of the Quarter" twice in a one year period and am also a leader in credit card openings, yet only received a 30 cent raise in a two year period. The work is very strenuous, lots of lifting and getting up and down on ladders. You are not rewarded for your hard work. Very discouraging.

The upper management is so concerned with selling Unicef and helping poor kids in other countries, but what about your own employees? A good employee who is loyal and hard working should be given AT LEAST a one dollar raise per year. I have seen good employees come and go due to the low pay. An extra dollar an hour a day for a five hour shift is only five bucks, the cost of a Christmas ornament! Your hard working employees should be worth at least that.

I have worked here for a short time and always go above and beyond work expectations.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice easy work, fun people

Cons

They schedule shifts with flexes on tope, very pushy on your availability

Assistant manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The discount 25% off and always being busy! Time flies when your having fun.

Cons

Expectations are way to high for the low pay.
    Gossip is the worst and everything gets swept under the rug.
     Regional is always in watching you and putting everyone on the spot.
    Holidays (event setups) are the worst!!!
     10 + hour shifts with only 30 min breaks.
    Always getting calls when off.
    Never can take off during certain holiday times for vacation with family.
    Hours are topical retail sucks major to have anylife as full-time.

Take the time to talk to everyone 1 on 1 including associate's to know what really goes on behind your backs. Value what everyone does for the company at all times! Give us a break every now and then.

Has the potential to be either great, or miserable

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at two separate locations during my time with the company. The first was in Arlington, TX and it was absolutely wonderful. I had positive managers that took the time to help us learn and grow with the company, emphasizing the community atmosphere. Because we were so close to the head office we often had leadership training and had chances to meet the higher ups. When I announced I would be moving away to go to school they bent over backwards to make sure I could keep my job and I was truly grateful for the experience.

Cons

After moving I was placed at a store that was always disorganized with poor communication between the ever changing management and the staff. Morale was incredibly low, and when I brought up suggestions to foster team building and improve the store's organization I was put into an unofficial leadership position to help the manager. When someone who was trained by upper management replaced our store manager I lost hours and was scolded for the most minor incidences in what my coworkers told me was an attempt to assert authority.

Fun place to work for seasonal

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount, worked well with my schedule for my other job, good hours to work, dont force you to harass customers, educates associates on a monthly basis and try to help you improve your knowledge.

Cons

Not easy to get permanent position, lifting furniture pieces while standing on tall ladders, unpacking pieces from shipment was sometimes difficult.

The management team was great except the store manager tended to be inconsiderate sometimes. The rest of the managers were great!

sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Larchmont, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Larchmont, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a relatively easy job that always gave me work when I needed it. Love the store, great company. I could request off whenever I wanted or needed ant they were easy going about it.

Cons

Some of the rules were not the same when working in different stores, and they put too much emphasis on the credit cards.

Lots of selling behaviors.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% discount, learn visual merchandising skills, be surrounded by beautiful products.

Cons

Suppression of costs translates to poor employee compensation, including subpar insurance, minimal raises, short work shifts, etc.

Invest in your associates a little more. A lot of talent slips through the cracks when you treat lower level employees like they're disposable.

Seasonal review

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

good for part time and someone who likes being a sales person. where i currently work the staff is really nice.

Cons

Selling pier 1 cards is really annoying because you feel like your screwing them over. During holidays theres so much stuff it's hard to find what customers want sometimes. if you don't like being a sales person this is not for you.