Pier 1 Imports Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Assistant Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting Merchandise and some decent internal discounts for Employees and immediate family members.

Cons

Very poorly paid and under appreciated staff in management. Managers run sales as well as merchandising and stockroom if needed including truck unload and heavy lifting of furniture items with no holiday vacations. Ever. Not a good place for someone who may have family members elsewhere, as most people do nowadays.

Advice to Management

Full-time employees do love your store and love the product, but are literally miserable with the treatment and pay rate. A good idea is a rotating associate and management required work schedule on weekends and holidays - yearly, monthly, weekly, etc.. You can not have an employee that works every holiday for the rest of their lives, particularly if they are the only family member in the area/state/etc. and require travel, as many do. Also criteria for good hiring practices, as many of the issues in the stores, not just one, seemed to result from hiring, basically, about anyone. And then, having to terminate a poorly performing, unstable and hostile, or theft-inclined employee. This included management. Also better planning for store volume for merchandise, as the stores are beautiful, but still, overstuffed. And simply - better pay - 'was offered $10/hr for management or less after having been offered $12/hr from a previous job with 5 years experience and an Ivy League degree. Poor use of employee resources, just abuse. Some information - I was Sales Associate of the year two years consecutively and a high performing Assistant Manager - issue free with high commendations from 5 out of 7 Store Managers.

2. Ecommerce Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

No concern towards full time employees for non immigrants. The worst experience in dealing with management about lay offs. No proper notice period as well. They over estimate their resources and hire and lay them off

Cons

Too many politics. No proper communication between upper management and the employees under them.

Advice to Management

Try to understand the employees concerns

3. Customer Relations Specialist

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Discount was great to have. Staff is friendly

Cons

Systems used need rehau so that there is less cancellations leasing to escalations

Advice to Management

Get the systems in sync to where things are correct so that most of the escalation calls would not have to happen. If a person is sick that shouldn't count against them. Revamp the point system to prevent losing great agents.

Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Discount was great, but you were not able to use the 25% off with any coupon offers, credit card promotions, or final sale items.
    Had fun overall working with some staff who were wonderful, fun, and energetic.

Cons

Catty, catty, catty!!
    Very unprofessional people worked at my location. Upper management barely worked, and usually just stayed in the office and told sales leads what to do..and what they did wrong. Our Assistant Store Manager was HORRIBLE, unprofessional, and needed a course in maturity.
    They underpay you for what you work, Pier One has small petite girls unload large freight trucks of sofas, dining tables, etc. and do not give ANY proper lifting training and techniques. Also we have no "freight boys" who load merchandise into cars...it is associates. Our store was an OSHA and fire safety violation which I'm surprised no one ever said anything, or if they had, I'm sure it was hidden like everything else was in our location.
    Underpaid and poorly managed environment of associates and managers all trying to get another employee in trouble.

Advice to Management

Compensate your management in the stores. They are the ones who are literally running and managing your stores. Stop with your pointless and mindless conference calls and sales chats and put yourself in the shoes of management and act like you actually work IN the stores, vs being an overseer.
    Stop dangling the carrot and promising associates and sales leader more money...because the 50cents/ $1 increase an hour isn't enough to do what you expected.

6. Stay Away from this Retailer!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bronx, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seeing all the unique merchandise!! And the 25% associate discount.

Cons

This is a copy of another review and it's exactly what I went through!

Dysfunctional and toxic working conditions. Extremely dangerous physical conditions in stockrooms and Pier 1's complete failure to enforce their own physical requirements policy. Too few people had to do an enormous amount of heavy physical work. I suffered multiple serious repetitive trauma injuries which Pier 1 refused to take responsibility for and then ultimately fired me. I have been left financially devastated and will be living with chronic pain and disability because Pier 1 failed to provide me with a safe working environment.

Pier 1 also has some truly unqualified store managers with no business sense who were abusive and bullying. Pier 1's absolute indifference when it came to serious concerns of their employees is truly criminal. There is shockingly low pay at all levels of employment and unreliable hours for part time associates.

If you are looking for a career in retail stay far away from this dead end company. I am sure their ultimate goal is to be a primarily online retailer so they do not have to deal with all those messy human needs of the associates in their stores.

Advice to Management

This is a copy of another review and it's exactly what I went through!

I do not know what kind of advice you can give to a morally bankrupt management team. Much like an alcoholic, they would have to look deeply and admit how egregious their behavior has been in terms of the well being of their associates. It is just never going to happen

Working at Pier 1 imports Left My Life in Ruins

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with some truly special associates and unique merchandise from talented artisans.

8. culture shock

Former Employee - Worker in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Worker in Savannah, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

employees were fun but that's it

Cons

if upper management, hr manager especially did not act like a dictator and treated people with respect, positive results will be found. not to mention extremely offensive and doesn't know how to take a chill pill. old director was just as bad maybe a little worse,. culture is just plain bad

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect, big time. don't speak on thought leadership if you can't act on it.

9. Environment was extremely uncomfortable to work in.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to learn a lot about different types of furniture and cute house wares.

Cons

You could only wear black or white as part of their "uniform" and for women you were only allowed to wear flats (not non slip shoes or athletic shoes whatsoever) even when you had to go atop high ladders and carry heavy furniture down so many feet and had to help customers carry them to their car. Customers were often very rude and snotty and it doesn't really help when management is breathing down your back to sell credit cards as well. If you really don't care about how people's houses look and their taste don't work here.

Advice to Management

Please change the "uniform" to make working there a lot more comfortable and please let employees help each other when needed and not expect every single person to do everything themselves.

High expectation for little compensation! Stockroom is always a hazard!

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I love the customers, products, and people that I work with. Great atmosphere on the floor!

Cons

Unrealistic expectations on shifts, they care more about credit cards than sales. Many task to complete in a tiny timeframe. Trucks some weeks are too big to fit in the stockroom, the stockroom is always overflowing and unsafe. Most times of the day there are only two people working, so you have to put your life at risk to get down any furniture by yourself. New online goals you have to get almost half in the store, making it just another in store goal!

Advice to Management

Don't skimp on payroll! We need more people in the store to meet the companies expectations.

11. Worked hard but saw no benfits

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount. Made awesome friends.

Cons

Management is crazy. Not a lot of hours. Expected to do a lot for a whole lot of nothing.

Advice to Management

Pay more!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed