Pier 1 Imports Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

You can do better than Pier 1 Imports.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff are friendly people to work with

Cons

Low pay, micro managed, company expects the world of the employees, but refuse to allot the correct number of hours to get the work done, customers come before employees.

Advice to Management

It may be helpful for the managers to stop focusing on the negative i.e. (we did not make our number for the last hr.) and focus on what has been done to improve in the stores. Also, corporate/manager need to understand that talking down to employees only makes for a hostile work place.

Worst Job Ever

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a smaller store than say Wal-Mart or Target, so its easier to build connections with customers and have fun with a lot of the regulars who come in. Team members are generally friendly and easy to work with. Merchandise discount is generous.

Cons

Compensation is pitiful and the workload is heavy. There were several occasions when I had to unload a truckload of merchandise by myself. I think it was actually against company policy for me to do that, but managers tend to pick and choose which rules they adhere to and which are okay to just cast aside. There is an obscene amount of pressure on associates to open credit cards, all while expecting them to watch an entire sales floor with maybe one or two other people for backup. Every customer is supposed to be greeted, shown a new product, checked back on while shopping , offered the rewards card 3 times, and given a reason to return. Despite making my sales goals and having a standing reputation as the most reliable person on schedule I still recieved only "Average" marks on my perfomance reviews, which was probably done so that they could avoid giving me a raise. After working there for 4 years I was making about $7.82 an hour. Everyone I worked with said it was the worst job they ever had. Do yourself a favor and look for work in a better place where you will be paid what you are worth and treated with respect.

Advice to Management

You are not going to make it another 50 years if you keep things running things the way you do now. Your positions need to pay better and offer more benefits to employees. Also, all levels of management should be held responsible for their actions instead of making scapegoats of lower rung workers.

Expect nothing from Pier One Imports

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good for anyone that only want to work a few hours each week for employee discount.

Cons

No benefits for employees except a few vacation hours if average over 20 hours a week. Most associates are limited status, under 12 hours a week. Hourly wage very low, yearly raises are a few cents. Health insurance offered to associates is not a real health insurance policy, premiums can take an entire pay check. Managers are not paid much more than associates.

Advice to Management

Company needs to improve salary and wages to attract and to maintain qualified employees.

Overworked, underpaid, and unappreicated!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store discount, good friendships with other sales associates

Cons

Catty management, being looked down upon because of your position, berating customers to open a credit card, long hours of being on your feet while not being able to sit down, no creativity, expensive products that are of low quality, stuck up or just plain rude customers.

Stay away from this company!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harvey, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harvey, LA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to my house! Better businesses nearby!

Cons

Manager is very clicky,made a mockery out of me behind my back,really no training at ALL, working four hour work days not worth the gas!

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees.

7. Pier 1 Imports over 1 Billion in sales and you make your sales people scrub toilets and mop floors... Thats just wrong!

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Holladay, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Holladay, UT

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount...whoopie, low pay, no hours and flex shifts

Cons

Put your life on hold for a Flexshifts? No benefits whatsoever. No hours over 20 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Expected to work between 6 AM TO 4 AM with no additional pay. Heavy lifting and a filthy, dirty, unhealthy environment. 2 full time employees and 20 part time. Turn over is 4-6 people every month at the store I work at.

Advice to Management

Treat your sales associates and sales leaders as team members and not as janitors and dock workers. I think the stores mangers have about the same ratings as the CEO...you all suck.

Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's nice to see the new products and meet nice fellow employees.

Cons

Our general manager is demeaning and kept an employee working even when they were struck with a stomach flu. He has broken items and leaves the mess for other employees to clean it up and write off without telling anyone. I wish our general manager didn't "coach" us in and describe how we need to get people to sign up for the card and the things that are on sale for every shift.

Advice to Management

* Get rid of flex shifts * Set schedules 2 weeks in advance & don't change them * Give employees breaks every 2 hours, not every 6 hours; employees shouldn't have to ask for bathroom breaks and told they can't * Update the computer system - it freezes all the time * Hire a cleaning staff to scrub toilets, vacuum and mop * Make sure there are men on staff that can lift the heavy furniture * Have a regional manager check up on the general manager and do surprise visits to see how employees are really treated * Pay your employees higher than minimum wage * Employees should be able to call off sick even if they can't find a sub * Have managers find subs for employees * Paid sick and holidays shouldn't be on the website as a perk since they aren't offered to part-time employees

Worst experience of my career

Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Immediate employee discount on Pier 1 Import products Three paid holidays per year Flexible schedules for part-time employees

Cons

The management is a dictatorship. There is little to no interaction between upper and lower management. Any questions or suggestions are treated as a direct betrayal. Forget about career progression or mentoring.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the management team and their outdated management style.

The worst place I have ever worked!

Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor
    Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My peers and submitting my resignation.

Cons

Working as a member of management in the Savannah, GA DC was one of the worst experiences that I have ever encountered in my career. It was one of the most unprofessional enviroments that I have worked in. This company has no concept of work-life balance, working their supervisors 70 to 80 hours a week. The upper management team acted in a disrespectful and unethical manner. Resigning from this job has been one of the best decisions I have made in quiite some time.

Advice to Management

Close your Savannah DC or change the DC Director(dictator)

Underpaid; overworked, high expectations; no incentive

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good first job to learn retail, but get out AS SOON as you find something better-- even a little better -25% additional employee discount, even on promotional sale items (up to 45% off, though I've heard that's not much in other jobs)

Cons

-No matter HOW HARD you work, you will NOT get a raise until at LEAST a year of employment. And that's not even guaranteed. Some people get about .05 or up to .17 on their year raises. And management acts so gracious about it. -Daily demands, including making at least 5 people sign up for spam email or more junk mail, and weekly, playing with people's credit for a very faulty system (Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card) -Physically demanding, mentally draining. Climb up ladders and grab chairs, greeting every single customer and bothering them about signing up for the catalog, or the card, or the promotions, or this-or-that. The rule is "until they say stop three times"...

Advice to Management

Pay your employees accordingly for doing a good job. Stop with the catalog and pier 1 card. The card is more hassle than it saves people's money.

RSS Feed </> Embed