Pier 1 Imports

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

High Expectations and little resources

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You gain retail experience and are never bored.

Cons

High turn over in associates. Scheduling employees outside of availability leaving less coverage and worn out associates and managers creating this endless cycle.

Expect to carry dining chairs and other heavy objects up a ladder and stack things dangerously around the store. You'll be performing other dangerous tasks like reaching while on the tip top of the ladder

you'll help people load and move they're giant furniture pieces with no help from your general manager(even if your a woman and he is a man)

Little to no real training. you will be thrown to the sharks on your first day. Yet if you do something wrong its still your fault, even if they never trained you on it

very advance and complex ordering processes leaving new associates clueless and customers frustrated when we cannot find their merchandise the spent hundreds of dollars on.

little to no communication between gm and management team

unrealistic expectations with little coverage

Micromanaging.

Customer service is not a priority, tasking and store appearances is, your numbers and conversion are going down because of this.

spend more time on your training. If you have an employee who is confident in what they are doing you wont have so many customer issues and employees who just walk out.

Do not expect to advance, favoritism towards select employees...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Great accent décor. Customers that enjoy the experience at Pier One. Be prepared to not only sell, but stock/move merchandise, furniture, climb ladders, lift 50 lbs. or more. The diversity adds value to your shift, With the exception of 5:00 am trucks.

Cons

Favoritism to select employees with regards to weekly schedules/hours, including flex schedules in their favor. Their performance being no greater/better with regards to IC's, sales contribution, units per transaction, customer review, tasking etc... Several new lead positions, no promotions within, all hired outside. Do not expect to be advance in this store.

Value your associates they contribute more than you realize. We not only help and advise your new hires, we also give strength to the inexperience leads that have no clue of the expectations required to promote you and/or the store.[

Shopping there great! Working there, not so great....

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were great and very helpful. Even the customers were fun to work with.

Cons

*It took two months to get a call to come in for a interview.

*You are required to constantly 'nag' customers about signing up for credit cards. You are suppose to 'check up' on them every 10 to 15 minutes and try to sell the card. Even if they have the credit card you still need to tell them about the benefits.(Which are horrible)

*I was never told HOW heavy the heavy lifting was. I was lifting stuff the same weight as me. I wasn't able to get any help because the other associate was busy on the floor.

*They have flex shifts here. You are expected to call two hours before your flex shift to even see if you are working. All of the flex shifts I had I never worked. Loss of money. Most weeks flex shifts made up 25% to 50% of all my shifts.

*There was this mandatory meeting that I had full intention of going too.It turns out that I got sicker than a dog that day and I sleeping next to the toilet all day. I actually got off of work early from my other job because I was sick. Because I was sleeping next to the toilet, I lost track of time. The meeting was at 7:15 pm and by the time I realized what time it was, it was 7. I called in and let them know I wasn't going to be able to make it. The store manager was very upset and she made a big fuss about how she would have to take time out of work to go over the materials of the meeting. I was too sick to get angry. Since that point the manager was just mean to me. When we had to do an overnight reset of product she just barked at me constantly. There was one point that they were having trouble figuring out where this clearance products should go and I was working on a grid that was clearance and had plenty of room. I looked at the product and open my month for a moment and the store manager just ripped into me saying that wasn't my stuff to deal with. It was that night that I decided to put my two weeks notice in.

For the store manager, if you are upset with a worker be professional about it. Don't take your personal feelings out on that person.

A very stressful and demanding job for minimum-wage pay.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

There are discounts on shop merchandise. If you only want to work a part-time job and are very flexible, this might work well for you.

Cons

This is the most stressful job I have yet held. In addition to working the register, retrieving merchandise, putting together furniture, and (in theory) providing good customer service, for each shift I was expected to convince five people to sign up for coupon mail-outs and one person to agree to opening up a Pier 1 credit card. This was very stressful and difficult for me, because I felt very disrespectful not taking "no" as an answer from customers. I felt very much like a tacky and obnoxious telemarketer or door-to-door salesperson trying to get as much money out of people as possible, rather than focusing on a friendly and receptive relationship with customers that would leave them wanting to come back. So many of my interactions were scripted, and to be honest, someone with my personality could not read those lines without sounding very phony. Lastly, along with the minimum wage, Pier 1 hires only part-time workers as sales associates so that it doesn't have to give anyone benefits; only managers worked reasonable hours, and even they might not have gotten full-time.

As a worker, I did not feel that customers came first at Pier 1. My experience working here has turned me off from patronizing the company; management and corporate both came off as rather money-hungry to me, and I was in fact hardly given an opportunity to provide genuine customer service. Please treat your workers and customers less like numbers and humanize your company.

This company doesn't take care of it's employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

generous discount, nice staff and manager, variety of tasks to prevent boredom, looks good on a resume, fun merchandising and nice customers

Cons

Property Management is non-responsive, at our store it was over 90 degrees some days, and always over 85 for summer months. The pay is well below industry standards and competitors.The benefits are laughable. it takes six years for a simple 401k to be vested, and the health insurance is almost impossible to qualify for, and even when you do it is expensive and insufficient. Ladders are broken, yet even after numerous injuries the company refuses to replace them for the expense.

take notes from your competitors. people like spending money at businesses that treat their employees fairly and take care of their stores safety and property needs.

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

25% discount, paid holidays, fun with customers putting looks together

Cons

Over worked & under paid, management is very disorganized

Treat your employees better! Follow policies

Beware! Pier 1 may be a fun place to shop, but not a good place of employment.

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun associates to work with. Good discount.

Cons

Management delegates like dictators. Realistic expectations are way too high for one person to achieve. Care about the why's; Why is inventory low and counts off? Why are employees leaving?

Lead by example. A good manager is one that leads, not orders! Don't have the associate do something that you wouldn't do.Managers should ALL be on the same page. Not 100 different answers. Look at why your stores have so much turnover in associates.

probably good to shop at...horrible to work for!

Current Employee - Store Associate in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Associate in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Visually the products were nice to work around
    A few other staff members

Cons

I have since graduated University and am working an office job but prior to that I worked lots of part time retail jobs and this was the worst! I would first like to say that I was not a university student disinclined to work, nor was I entitled or reluctant to work a part time job because of the nature of eventually having a degree. I want to make that clear since that has been my experience with other students who tend to complain about work due to laziness and lack of interest in a position that does not lead to their ultimate career choice. The store manager at my location as a joke: rude, demeaning,obsessive, arrogant and offensive. They have flex shifts so you ay be scheduled 1-6 with a flex till 9 but they wont tell you until 4 if you have to stay. I was told this wouldn't happen often but it was every shift. That manager thought she was saving the world it was unreal. So much bad mouthing and drama creation to fill her time sitting in her office (which was most of the time). So rude to the staff and treated other managers and shift leaders like dirt. The delivery system was useless so there were always complaints! never enough people staffed. Unreasonable hours/breaks. I ended up walking out after a conversation with my manager on a day I had come in outside of my availability to help. I felt my personal life was invaded during the conversation, under appreciated and dis respected!

Keep an eye on your store managers! At the location I worked at around11 employees quit within a 3 month period for the same reason and it went unnoticed by anyone! if there's a massive turn over there's a problem and you should look into why people are quitting. So many people just never showed up for shifts anymore and told other shift leaders it was because of the treatment and dread of work but it never gets noted.

This isn't a job, it's indentured servitude.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

The work is easy enough. Beyond that, there really aren't any pros to speak of.

Cons

EXTREMELY low hours, very low pay, no commission, not guaranteed a shift every week, favoritism, constantly having to be ready to work only to find out you don't get to work that day after all.

Stop hiring people if you can't give your employees hours.

Once a fun flexible part-time job..not anymore :(

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun merchandise, short shifts (that could either be good or bad depending on your situation)

Cons

I have worked here for 4 years and have watched how the company has turned from taking care of its own by being a flexible and fun place to work to adopting an attitude that every employee is "replaceable". Think used-car salesperson. They want you to be a high-pressure salesperson but with pay you as close to minimum wage as possible. They expect you to bombard customers as they enter the store with hellos and an immediate questioning of that customer of what they are looking for. Some customers appreciate the attention while most just want to be left alone. Another huge issue with all the stores is the high level of gossip that pervades the store. Employees who have been there for a while have their own cliques and tends to gossip/ make fun of newer employees. They also do this to other long-time employees who don't fit into their group. I have watched many employees be driven away because of this. A company run by women for women. If you're a man you will feel invisible. Even the selling documentation refers to all customers as either she or her. Apparently they don't care about their male customers. Overall this the kind of part-time job where you are expected to perform as if it were a full-time career.