Pier 1 Imports Reviews

736 reviews filtered by

Awful

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice Atmosphere, Great Associates. Nice customers.

Cons

So many Cons

1).They do not offer reference/letter of reference to anyone who needs it. After working here for a while, you would think you should be entitled to some things.
    2) Too many staffs.. Over 10 associates at once in a little shop
    3) It gets boring. Nothing to do most days due to too much staff/ too little customers
    4) Management is Pushy. We are told to ask for so many things from customers, its unbelievable.
    5) They play favorites
     and yes, you have to ask for permission to use the bathroom.

2. Needs a lot of improvement.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

Beautiful building to work in (Headquarters). Free parking. Great cafeteria.

Cons

Computer software broken more often than not. Crazy hours. Lack of permanent seating. Pay is so-so. Not competitive pay. When you hire on they make it seem like you are going to contribute to the company and be an important part of it. I didn't see that. Roller-coaster shifts. Different start time each day and no two days in a row off. No way to plan. Job description not accurate.

Be more professional. Know your employees and take a genuine interest in them. Quit paying lip service to questions and problems that arise. Please be aware that your employees are your company. Be pro-active instead of running around looking for the next meeting. Way too many meetings at this company.

The system is flawed.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and associate discounts.

Cons

They don't allow you to work full time, never got a raise in a year and pregnancy benefits were horrible!

Stay Away! - Conroe, TX

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discounts, short shifts a few days a week, and 99% of the customers are awesome! Perfect for any college kid wanting to make a few bucks while still having Summertime fun!

Cons

Store Manager/Sale Leaders, and the over all treatment of the employees.

Don't throw your new employees out on the floor with just two hours of computer training. We need more! And when we make a mistake, yes, correct us, but PLEASE stop doing it in front of the customers! It makes everyone around very uncomfortable and it's also very unprofessional. Do it behind closed doors and STOP talking to us like we are complete morons for not having the proper training. It's your fault, not ours.
    You also need to be more courteous to our customers. THEY are the reason we have a job. THEY are the ones that help make our goals every hour, every day. I am tired of apologizing to them for your actions. The customer may not always be right, but it is your job (and ours) to resolve any issues they may have so that they want to return. I know it can't be an easy job to manage the store but it isn't easy for us to keep a smile on our face and to care if we're always being yelled at by you and basically being put down for being human and making mistakes.
    I used to enjoy working here but no longer. After a little over a month, I have decided that I can no longer deal with the hostile environment and the deterioration of my self worth.

Corporate does not value or respect their store associates

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If one is creative and has a good eye for design setting up displays and helping customers decorate is satisfying. Employee 25% discount is fair

Cons

Store managers primary objective is to make the payroll budget and open credit cards which is bad news for any associate who wants more than 15-20 hrs per week. You won't get enough hrs to make the job worthwhile

No wonder you're " always looking for great talent" when you don't pay enough to keep your talent let alone attract it to begin with. Your hourly pay is the lowest in the home furnishing industry!

A love/hate (mostly hate) relationship

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful merchandise, a great working environment (aesthetically). Um, I liked the music? There's really not much about working at this place that I liked beside how it looked.

Oh, the customers were wonderful; usually cute little old ladies looking to buy some pillows or something.

Cons

The schedule can have you go from either working once a week to every single day without any warning. The manager that I usually worked under was a complete and total female dog if you catch my drift. There is constant CONSTANT pressure to make customers get a card with a 25% interest rate, and they expect you to get at least one each time you come in; if you don't they will complain to you about it, constantly. There's a screen that shows you how much money you need to make per hour and it can be up to $1200, which is extremely hard to do when there are customers constantly bringing back purchased items for a refund. The managers talk to you like you're stupid, and treat employees like dirt unless you're making them money; they don't acknowledge the fact that you're trying.

Working until midnight on a Sunday when I had class the next morning was no fun either, and neither was standing for 4-5 hours straight with no break. We're also supposed to basically harass every customer that we come across and try to make them buy something; when you actually get a customer that needs your help for an extended amount of time they make you go talk to someone else, claiming that you've been with one customer too long - they've said this in front of customers buying $2000 worth of stuff and they have left the store with their money in their pockets, pissed.

Back off! Back off of that stupid card, and quit trying to get us to con customers into spending more money on already extremely overpriced merchandise. Quit watching the numbers so much; maybe then you could actually make some money.

Ok

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Good people, fun place to work

Cons

Low pay, micro managing, bad hours

Pay more, promote from within

Stay Away

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hilton Head Island, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hilton Head Island, SC

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employee discount was the only thing good about the job. Most of the upper management was terribly rude, only a handful of the people I worked with were nice to me and/or customers.

Cons

Extremely pushy with the credit card. I got yelled at several times because I neglected to offer the card on very minor purchases.
    Very little training. I constantly had questions that were never answered. They acted like it was a burden to train me.
    The hours are just terrible. 4 hour shifts, very little pay.

Appreciate your associates!!! Train them more

worst company I ever worked for

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

it was closer to home

Cons

bad salary awful treatment to the employee no incentives at all

take care more of the people at your stores they are the one making you money

11. Don't do it!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the discount is the ONLY reason to work here

Cons

Extremely stressful, very low pay, high turnover, no advancement opportunities.

company loyalty should be rewarded