Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
774 reviews filtered by

1. Very enjoyable and fast pace

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The people are nice and the pay isn't half bad

Cons

Attendance policy is terrible. Management at times can be overbearing

2. Current employee of less than a year.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Very friendly staff, appreciative and polite customers, hands on training, management is very accommodating and professional, all around decent work environment.

Cons

The pay could be better considering each employee must do some pretty heavy lifting and manual labor, pos system a bit annoying.

Advice to Management

The back room is very cluttered and items are stacked too high. Our store receives far too much inventory. It might benefit the store to let corporate know we have too much product that is contributing to possibly dangerous back room.

3. A fine little retail job, but nothing to call home about.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workload is not bad, the management is very kind and understanding, they really care about their employees and it's like being a part of a little family.

Cons

They force you to push a credit card on people. The credit card is the only reason that the job is not a five star job. If you don't get people to sign up for a credit card, you won't last long. Pier 1 needs to reconsider its customer loyalty program. Won't get many hours here, ESPECIALLY if you don't get many cards.

Advice to Management

You guys are great, keep helping the employees and customers with a smile!

5. I love working at Pier 1, the personal relationship with customers is amazing! I just love what I do.

Current Employee - Pier I Imports -Sales Leader in Cold Spring, CO
    Current Employee - Pier I Imports -Sales Leader in Cold Spring, CO

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The turnover rate to move up, the training, as well as the crazy hours.

Cons

The pay and the crazy hours.

Advice to Management

Let the little guys know what is going on. Nobody likes being in Limbo!

6. Very friendly work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Working face to face with customers

Cons

I believe there should be a hire salary for the work load required

Pier 1 expects much but delivers little.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company offered incentives such as percentage bonuses for meeting your monthly targets plus a specific percent. So each month you could make an additional $300-$1000. Also, vacation and week schedules were flexible. It was also not the most stressful retail environment I've worked in

Cons

Personal growth does not go far beyond the position you enter the company as and promotions are nonexistent. Also, good luck negotiating a raise mid year.

Advice to Management

Rethink your business model because the 21st century is taking you for a ride.

8. Not so glamerous.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the customer interaction. Cute products with a 25% discount.

Cons

Products not reliable. Management not professional. Lots of work expected to be done with little help while dealing with customers on short shift. If you couldn't sell credit cards hours were cut. Which aren't very giving in the first place.

9. Its retail, you get what you make of it.

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

So as the title says, its retail. I think the couple retail jobs I have had boil down to 1) the people you work with and 2) what you make of it. In my store, the people were very friendly and there was mostly a family atmosphere. This makes taking time off/emergencies/etc very easy. Employee discount is good, 25% and if you dont mind your furniture a little damaged, managers will frequently make steep discounts on merchandise that comes in damaged off truck for employees.

Cons

I imagine if you are at a store with unpleasant people, there isnt much space to get away from them but that is most places. Customers are going to be the worst though. I hesitate to put this on here but here is the honest truth. A lot of people who shop at Pier1 are neither your lower class, nor upper class but those people that think they have a little cash and are entitled. Pier1 is not a luxury retailer though some of the customers think so and think you should treat them like they are dropping tens of thousands. Other than that, pay isnt great, even for assistant managers. Several sales leaders left my store to move on to cashiering at a grocery store and made more money. Hours are close to non-existent. Company policy limits your hours to either 20-25 a week (depending on what store manager you talk to) and will frequently be far less. I cannot recommend simply because most people want a job to make money, something that is hard to do at the store level here.

Advice to Management

I realize my 'Cons' is longer than my 'Pros' but I honestly enjoyed my time there (good people). Advice to mangers would be, better pay, end flex shifts as nobody that works there thinks they are anything else except stupid and fix the distribution centers. You cannot trust your inventory management as your truck manifest and what physically arrives on the truck are -always- different, by as much as several thousand dollars sometimes - this is the same with 2 different DCs (Texas and Georgia).

10. Sales clerk

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work for part time ,management works with your schedule and they are team players.

Cons

It would be frustrating sometimes when I would take a bus across town 2 hours and be sent home after only working one or two hours .

Advice to Management

Better cross training ,I would have liked to be trained on the registers as I have extensive experience on them

11. Customer Relations Specialist

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Discount was great to have. Staff is friendly

Cons

Systems used need rehau so that there is less cancellations leasing to escalations

Advice to Management

Get the systems in sync to where things are correct so that most of the escalation calls would not have to happen. If a person is sick that shouldn't count against them. Revamp the point system to prevent losing great agents.