Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

High School Job, Little Advancement

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Really nice items, being helpful to customers

Cons

Some weeks you only work 2 days, can't advance to register with opening a credit card

Promises not kept

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay..made more than min. wage
    Other staff seemed nice, but only scheduled with a half hour over-lap so really didn't know them well enough.

Cons

I wasn't told prior to being hired hours are based on how many credit card sign ups you get. Really? Don't give me hours based on customer service. so sad.

The assistant mgr at the store I worked was way too young and immature to run a store. (The mgr left taking another position at a different company)

Sales leads/mgmt spend too much time chatting in the back leaving one sales person on the floor. Had to call for help each time it got busy.

Hired for full time work-was scheduled no more than 10 hrs a week. (That's part, part time)

Hire assistant mgrs with experience and maturity.

Good job, if you're still in school.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee Discount, customers, some products, and the environment.

Cons

Not enough hours, that hideous apron, and the pay is way too low for the job description.

Stop hiring so many people and focus on your current employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pier 1 Imports is a good company to work for but not as a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management is willing to work with school schedules and other job schedules, and the merchandise discount is great.

Cons

Customers are in a mindset that they should always be right and the Customer Service Hotline perpetuates that notion by giving customers whatever they demand.

Focus and support your employees. Studies after studies have shown that the more you stand behind your employees and their decisions, and the more you pay them, the higher your profits. Companies that focus on just the bottom dollar won't make it in today's world anymore.

Fickle.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The coworkers were fantastic. There seemed to be a whimsical feel about the store. A really nice environment to work in. The new product that always came in was a plus.

Cons

The pay was nowhere near "competitive". There is a lot of work that goes in to being a successful store. Incentives? Nope. From managers down to the Sales Associate, expect your pay to hover around where you started. I worked there for several years to get through college and typically received an eight cent raise per year.

My management was great on the store level. I couldn't applaud them more. They are the only reason I stayed for as long as I did. As for the corporation, the goals are unrealistic.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people , great product, flexible with school schedule good job for students

Cons

must push for credit cards terrible!

Focus not only on credit card

I haven't gotten a raise since ive worked there in the past 4 years.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cartersville, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cartersville, GA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people I work with are nice.

Cons

I applied for a managers position. Instead of hiring me they hired someone who was stealing from them.

Not a bad place for a part-time job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the merchandise, the customers and what I do. No two days are the same. The employee discount is awesome.

Cons

Some members of management/staff act like they are still in a high school clique; refuse to give anyone more than 20 hrs/week so they don't have to pay benefits; low pay and raises are ridiculously low; very little room for advancement; extreme pressure to get people to sign up for the rewards card which is actually a credit card.

Do not hire/promote people who cannot make decisions to sales leader positions! The word "leader" implies that they are able to exercise good judgement and make decisions when needed. Answering questions with "I don't know….." doesn't benefit anyone! Get a better rewards card! Other stores have rewards perks that are not credit cards. Why can't Pier 1 do the same?!

Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

New merchandise comes in all the time and great people to work with.

Cons

Very small pay raises for working hard and selling their credit card. They keep you under 20 hours as so they not to pay you any benefits.

Yearly reviews need to be done

Great Customers!

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers are a cut above and loyal, this gives you a chance to build relationships. MOD's are all former associates so they know how things work. I transferred from a high-volume store to a lower-volume store and they can't believe how fast I can process 12ft of freight once a week. I'm used to 15-18ft twice a week! They are pretty good about time-off and emergencies situations were no problem. Both stores have exceptional managers. The ability to transfer is a BIG plus.

Cons

Hours are generally low, 8-15 hours a week and not consistent, and who wants to work a 3 hour shift. Flex shifts are just wrong! New store schedules 3 flex's and 2 regular shift a week and call in is 1 hour before so I need to be ready before I call and they never need me. Old store maybe 1 flex a week with a 2 hour call in. Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy.

Don't hire 20 people and give them 10 hours per week. I understand flex shifts but make them the exception not the rule. Understand that we are reaching a saturation level with credit, emails, etc., and stop tying it to more hours as a reward. Don't hire sales leaders or management from lower quality retailers, they are hard to work with. Promote from within, as the experience and mind-set is already there. Upper management should take the time to talk to sales associates when the visit the stores. We are part of the team too!

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!