Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Reset

1. Best job ever!

Former Employee - Key Holder in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Newburgh, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome products, you can be creative with your customers and help them create a dream living space.

Cons

This is not a con, this job is very physical, must be able to move heavy objects.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to know how much people in the stores love their job. They dedicate hard hours to make it a beautiful and inspiring place to visit.

2. Work life

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

A lot of overtime offered

Cons

Overtime is mandatory. Point system for penalties

3. Credit card

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

They have great products with quality craftsmen ship.

Cons

Be prepared to push customers to open the pier 1 credit card.

5. Senior Management Level

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great work life balance. Low stress. Lots of opportunity to make a difference and be involved in big projects.

Cons

Systems that do not communicate well makes it difficult to get clear metrics. However, that is an issue at most companies. Fluctuating demand causes long term planning to be difficult.

6. Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Easy environment Cool products 4-6 hour shifts. It's unusual but a 4 hour shift at this store is like an 8 hour one at another store.

Cons

There are sales goals for the overall store each day but not really for the individual associate. You will come in and get placed in a section ask told to "fix it" and "maintain" your section with not much direction. It can get really boring when the store is slow. Some customers think you are their personal shopper, avoid that. They want you to open store credit cards and push that on the employees but the employees but their are no incentives or reward for employees.

Advice to Management

Need to be more structured and on the same page. Give your associates more detailed tasks. And the store manager needs to be more active and set an example rather than just ordering people around from your office.

7. Wouldnt recommend

Current Employee - Sales Lead in West Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in West Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has great benefits, most stores have a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Most managers in store and in corporate don't honor their word, they come up with excuses instead of using honesty, hours arent honored for full time. They tell you there are loads of opportunities but there really arent.

8. Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Easy scheduling, fun environment, awesome store manager.

Cons

A lot of heavy lifting, long shifts.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

9. Seriously Bad Experience...

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's cool to see all the merchandise, and my co-workers were fun, kind, and always willing to help.

Cons

Where to begin... I thought this would be a fun summer job and one I could keep during my last year of college. Nope. First, the manager told me she'd call me a day or two after my interview. I heard two weeks later, and she made up all these excuses as to why she hadn't called. Once I was hired, things got worse. Manager plays favorites and always loved to pick on me for my relatively quiet demeanor. If you weren't on her good side, you got stuck on the inventory and freight shifts. She did not even mention to me when I was hired that I would have to stay until midnight or get up for a 6 AM shift to unload the truck. Had I known, I wouldn't have taken the job. For the pay, it is so not worth it. Once, she scheduled me till 11:30 PM and had me coming in at 6 AM the next morning! Luckily, I mentioned it to a sales lead who told me to talk to her about it, since that isn't allowed. I honestly believe she did it on purpose, thinking I wouldn't know any better since I was new. Pushing credit cards constantly SUCKS. Getting heavy things down using a ladder and no one around to help is seriously dangerous, but you have to do it every single day. Flex shifts are the worst. And, the icing on the cake is this - manager went on vacation for two weeks. During that time, I needed to change my availability for a month to not work nights for personal, religious reasons. She confronted me in the middle of the busy store about this when she got back, and didn't believe me when I told her it was for religious reasons. She took me to the office and made me tell her the exact details (which are not her business), and berated me, saying that she only hired me because I told her I had open availability. Well, maybe if she had told me I needed to detail my availabilities for the entire summer, she would have known this earlier! Nonetheless, after this incident, I quit and have not regretted it. Manager seriously needs some tact and sensitivity training.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better, be up front and honest about the nature of the job when hiring, don't play favorites, and stop selling the credit card.

10. Good first job nothing else

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Good people and trains you to be a better sales assosiate

Cons

Horible pay at minimum wage and not enough hours

11. Job not what promised to be

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Goleta, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the Sales associates worked really hard and were positive. They were great with product knowledge and customer service. Pier 1's harassment polices were positive.

Cons

I was a sales leader and prior to onboarding was not informed about all the heavy lifting, short shifts, lack of full time work and that I would be on call at all times. It was not an employee centric place to work. There was VERY little positive feedback going on. It is a very hectic environment and much emphasis was placed on selling their credit cards.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and give them positive feedback. I worked there for 6 months and during that time 90% of the staff had moved on to other opportunities.

RSS Feed </> Embed