Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
740 reviews filtered by

Pier 1 Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Easy hours
    Fun place to work
    Above minimum wage

Cons

Need to get credit cards and will be hounded if you dont
    Need to get people to order in store
    Minimal growth

Don't make credit cards so important. It's 2015 and people have bad credit. Not everyone wants one.

Great company to work for, and wonderful people to work next to!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anderson, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anderson, SC

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the flexibility. I am a full time college student and my manager works around that for me so that I can still work 20 hours a week!

Cons

A "FLEX" is a shift you have to call for in advance to see if the manager needs you to work that day. It can be aggravating on days when you want to get out and do something but you're stuck because you don't know if you'll have to go into work or not.

3. I like it there

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Newington, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Newington, CT

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Great manager. Great training at times. Nice customers for the most part

Cons

Schedule and pay isn't the best.

5. Worked hard but saw no benfits

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good discount. Made awesome friends.

Cons

Management is crazy. Not a lot of hours. Expected to do a lot for a whole lot of nothing.

Pay more!!!

full of good people and good first look oppurtunities

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You're able to work and not worry about drama because everyone is pretty chill overall. No drama, great respect and kindness shown. Also a pretty good employee discount.

Cons

Sometimes you can feel overwhelmed with the amount of merchandise that you are expected to have out on the floor and realistically there is no room for it. Systems aren't very reliable when it comes to how much there is inventory.

It would be good for management to evaluate more on the tasks they want someone to have done. And to be a bit more reasonable and considerate to the amount of space there actually is available and the amount of merchandise that is received in store, along with keeping in mind the customers and what kind of customer we have in the area. What product would that area of customers be more drawn to buy.

7. Work under the pressure. It's not the product that you are selling it is more a credit card.

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Plantation, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I loved the product and the store itself gives you a desire to work. Pier Import has the stuff of great quality and the most of the people I was working with were nice.

Cons

The manager was very : all about the money and not very nice with the customers which I found unbearable. You can not earn a lot of money there except if you were a manager. It's more for students but even If I were a student I wouldn't see the profit. When you pay gas what rests for you? And you are scheduled just from time to time and only 4 hours at a time.

You should think more about your customers than about selling them a credit card by all means. Also when somebody buys a lot you have to satisfy some of their "necessary " wishes , ex: how to better wrap a product instead of saying " I don't care" . I was shocked! It's good to earn the money , but you have to give in order to receive, specially in sales like this.

8. Have you been chatted in?!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Watertown, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Watertown, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Nice discount and that's all about it. The other girls I worked with were either anti social or too big for their britches.

Cons

Pay is WAY too low for all that furniture assembling you have to do. Also, they keep a very careful eye on how many hours you work so you don't qualify for vacation days, etc.

Please train your new employees better. I was propped down in front of a video monitor to watch useless work videos before being thrown on the sales floor.

9. Unpleasant

Former Employee - Store Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I did like the merchandise, other than furniture. First manager was flexible with time off and timetable for completing tasks.

Cons

Extreme micro-management by upper management. No support during heavy floor set transitions. Constant surprise visits aimed at collecting disparaging information on the staff. Threatened disciplinary action even when performance was best in region. Played favorites, held those in favor to less of a standard. Training during first two weeks was non existent . Was placed in front of a computer for two weeks and told to read policy and procedure. Furniture was cheap and often fell apart while building it for the floor.

Take a hard look at your regional managers, rather than micromanaging your store teams. There is more physicality in this company compared to many other retailers, so there should be more hours and full time Sales Leaders, as well as a full time stock person. When unloading thirty pallets from a full tractor trailer and getting no stock hours while having to have it done in one day was next to impossible. Set policy and adhere to it, not changing constantly depending on the circumstance. Mindshare, instead of being a tool, was a KPI that you were drilled about over and over.

10. Being surrounded by beautiful things is a great perk!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store and products are beautiful. The customers are always happy when they enter the store. As an employee you get a generous discount of 25%. Flexibility on hours with an emphasis on a work-life balance.

Cons

An over emphasis on selling customers on the Pier 1 rewards credit card. When business slows down (and it does often) hours are drastically cut. So one week you may work 22 hours, the next 4 hours.

Take better care of your Sales Leaders, and sales Managers. They are always stressed. The store's backbone is part time workers, pay them better so there isn't so much turn over.

11. Okay as holiday hire. Completely disagree for reason being laid off.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Pier 1 has items that most stores do not carry such as flavored candles as well as diffusers with the same flavor. Most of their products are unique and fun and customers are happy with the products. Customers were pleasant to work with and job duties were very fair. Coworkers were very friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Employees are notified of their schedules for the next week, a very short notice system that caused numerous conflicts during the holidays.

The store chain is trying their best to push their credit cards (at a whopping 27% interest rate) and it was uncomfortable to push credit cards to every customer as the managers instruct us to do so. In fact corporate trains us to push the cards many times per customer. You would think once is enough once he/she says no.

Lastly, they have let me go ONLY because I haven't sold any credit cards. I have made some very large sales and made the store thousands of dollars during my time there and have done my shifts perfectly as instructed. This was completely uncalled for.

Stop making the store into a bank. Stores are supposed to sell PRODUCTS, not credit cards as their main focus. If stores are doing their best to promote credit cards over their products, then that store has a serious problem or they are desperate.
    The employees deserve better perks than a 25% in-store discount. Either offer commission or a higher discount, but this is just a cheap move by corporate.