Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 110 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, WV

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun staff, great products, creative environment

Cons

pushing customers to apply for credit cards

Pier 1 needs to stop referring to their customers as "she" and "her", with gender roles changing so much, I think it would benefit the company to include all genders.

Great Place to Work !

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Here is a place where we are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. We are able to use our creative side to help people bring together the look they have envisioned for a room, a space, or an event. The sales and discounts we inform our guest about always puts a smile on their faces. It's a very satisfying feeling when we make that connection.

Cons

Took about three days for my feet to get use to the standing.

No advice. Just a comment: She makes herself always available to her team. She knows a great team is the reflection of a great Manager.

Depending on Management the exPIERience is great! Teams are like family and we work together. Very fun environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great time in the stock room opening new products, friendly staff, fun to help people make their spaces reflect their styles. Definitely a place to work hard and show your self you are able to do more than you thought. Ideas are always considered and potentially put into place. Management works within your limitations and coaches to help you succeed.

Cons

Very few opportunities to be a full time employee. Some employees do not contain adequate strength to manage heavy lifting to which a select few handle those duties. Supplies for the store a very expensive.

Perhaps the employees that have been with the company for a few to several years offer them an opportunity to be a full time sales associate.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved working here! Fair pay, good hours and fun job.

Cons

Just retail life. Working Saturdays, late nights, etc.

Lay off trying to sell the credit cards! It's hard to do nowadays and measuring performance based on credit card quotas just isn't realistic.

Another greedy company (pier 1 Temecula, CA)

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow associates are the best asset to the company. The set up of statements is fun to do too.

Cons

Pay is barely above minimum wage for any associate. They expect lots of things done from certain people. The incentives for employees are crap (3 pier1 bucks for getting the most credit card, or selling UNICEF Christmas cards, sometimes nothing ). Associates are often ignored with new suggestions they bring up to management. Management always have the last word on anything regardless if they make sense or not, for example, no pier1 merchandise on the break room, even though employees love shopping there.

Increase the power to associates by letting them choose employees of the quarter. This is the 21st century, and management shouldn't have the last word on everything. They are people too and they make mistakes (horrid mistakes). The big problem right now is talent being driven away by management. Increase associates paycheck, or bonuses. Associates love pier1, and if they have the money to spend on the store, pier1 most likely will see an increase in sales. Promoting within the associates will be great as well. Older associates feel really unappreciated if sales leads are brought from outside the store, and having to deal with training them while their opinion is constantly disregarded.

One of the better retail jobs

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cedar Hill, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cedar Hill, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers are middle aged women shopping for home goods. It's generally a pleasant atmosphere, and you don't deal with a lot of riffraff.

Cons

Depending on the location, it can be kind of boring at times. There's not a lot of traffic like other retailers, and you can only straighten candles for so long.

sales lead

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The management and people are great

Cons

pushing credit cards and long holiday hours.

none

Very relaxed, laid back job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kemah, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kemah, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively easy job once you get used to things. Decent pay. Nice people. Everyone is like family. Pretty good benefits. Flexible scheduling. They'll work with you if you have school/sports, etc.

Cons

Very few hours. Get used to getting sent home early because of payroll. They want you to get customers to open Pier One Credit Cards and require one per shift, but it's really not realistic.

Cut back on minimum amount of people hired for each store and give workers more hours.

Fun Place, Mediocre Pay & Benefits

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the creativity and work environment here. There is plenty of opportunity to move up. Within a couple years you can be an assistant manager and within 5 years have your own store starting with no experience and learning in-house. Good discounts!

Cons

Until you get your own store, pay is not great. Even assistant managers make less than $30k a year. The benefits are okay, but there are much better insurance options out there. There is a LOT of pressure to get people to open credit cards with the company and employees can be disciplined for not meeting goals.

Create a process for entry-level employees so they can get on a clear path to working their way up through the company.

Alright place to work but don't pay enough

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work with some great people for the most part, the work can be pretty fun if you like interior decorating, and there are benefits offered for all levels of employment.

Cons

Don't pay enough, work is demanding physically and can be dangerous, and they get on your case for not getting sales, conversion, and credit cards even if you are trying your best to get sales and cards. Also, scheduling and hours are a mess. Some weeks I have no real shifts, just ones I have to call in for in case they need extra help, and other weeks I have tons of hours but mostly I end up with one or two 4 and a half hour shifts which isn't enough nor what I was told I would have when I was hired (average of 20/week).

As long as an associate is talking about the card and trying to make the sales, lay off. No one is going to want to shop at Pier 1 if all people ever do is harass them about the card. Also, quit upping the number of associates at a store when there are already several people asking for more hours. Just schedule those employees more instead of screwing them over.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports