Pierce-Eislen Reviews

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
1.9

Ron Brock, Sr

These reviews are not misleading.

I worked at Pierce-Eislen

Pros

PE:
    Occasional Pizza Parties
    Occasional Team Activities (i.e. Bowling, Monday Lunches, Donuts)

The following benefits were afforded to Pierce Eislen employees when Yardi acquired PE:

Excellent Benefits
    Paid Holidays
    Relaxed Dress Code

Cons

Management
    Extremely Low Morale
    Monotonous Work
    Low Pay

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

The most recent review of this company has some very good points, but in the interest of fairness I wanted to take the opportunity to expound on some of the lesser-known details of this company; details that someone who is new to the company may not know or have realized just yet.

The front office is a lovely façade. Glass doors, tastefully decorated walls, and a sign bearing the company name that no one can properly pronounce greet you when you first walk in. The receptionist is rarely the same person, but those visiting this office would never know the difference. This is all meant to hide the fact that what lies beyond is not nearly as bright and well-functioning as it may seem. Let’s start at the beginning.

The interview process is tedious and an exercise in patience:

Step One: Nameless worker arrives to escort you to the “testing center” which is really just an official-sounding name for a random cube with a computer in it in the back of the office. You take a few computer literacy tests and then voila! you’re back in the plush lobby where you get to wait until the hiring staff arrives to fill you with illusions of grandeur.

Step Two: Round one begins, starring the most unqualified managers this place could possibly produce: people who started at the bottom and are now at the top of the ladder, right in the CEO’s pocket. These managers cannot function on their own. The CEO strolls in around 11 and they are immediately hovering outside of his door waiting to be acknowledged. On a daily basis, he needs to tell them how to:

Do their jobs
    Tell other people how to do their jobs
    Properly micromanage their teams
    Lose team members and alienate coworkers

You are essentially being interviewed by children who need their father's guidance every step of the way.

Step Three: Round two begins, now starring our illustrious team leads. The team leads oversee the analysts who in turn tune them out because they are usually wrong, condescending, or constantly on their cell phones conducting business for their other jobs. You will receive absolutely no helpful direction from them.

Step Four: This is where the CEO’s assistant comes in and paints a pretty picture of sunshine, daisies, and free donuts once a month. The donuts are real. The “wonderful place to work, with room for growth” spiel is not.

Step Five: Congratulations! You’ve been invited to meet with the self-proclaimed “king” of the company. This isn’t an interview; it’s more of a platform for the CEO to pontificate on how much of a genius he is. He is very proud, very condescending, and very much a micromanager. He will not accept any negative feedback, tolerate anyone questioning his decisions, and absolutely hates Yardi. When Yardi implemented the relaxed dress code, he fought it. When Yardi brought in someone from the outside to oversee the new system, he fought it. Meanwhile, those of us here get to grovel and seek his permission just to write something as innocuous as a comment about a property in our database – and the comment he “approves”* (*rewrites completely as if the comment you offered was so sub-par it wasn’t even worth reading) never makes sense anyway.

In short: If you approve of this CEO it’s because you have never met him.

Now, back to the managers. Pierce Eislen only promotes from within. That means that you can start at the bottom and work your way up, but if this is your first and only job you have 1) no example of good management and 2) no managerial experience of your own whatsoever. There are plenty of intelligent people who work here, but would you like to know what the mark of a supremely intelligent Pierce Eislen employee is? They know that it’s better to leave than to wait for a promotion that will never come unless someone in management moves on, and that will never happen. Why? Because the current managers have it made.

Some managers “work” from home most of the week, some sit in the other managers' offices while they gossip and make a plan to get yet another employee they don’t like fired, and some managers follow the others around like lost children who have no idea what they're doing. They are not held to the ridiculous standards that we lowly employees are expected to maintain. They are never reprimanded or told they are wrong. They do what they like, when they like, and no one says a word because speaking up around here doesn’t elicit change. All it does is get you fired.

The managers are the most loathed employees in the office, and rightfully so. They are rude, controlling, and incapable of actually managing anyone without making them feel small and useless. Every manager takes their cues from the CEO who has only succeeded in teaching them how NOT to manage.

Yardi may be a lovely company, but it has no presence in this office. There is an Us vs. Them mentality that ruins any possible camaraderie between the two companies. When Yardi sent in a distinguished outsider to shape this place up, the managers were told not to worry because he has to be team Pierce Eislen if he wants to succeed, which thoroughly destroyed any sliver of hope we may have had. Once again, the powers that be have won and gotten their way. Seems to be the way it is here.

For those of you who took the time to read this: thank you! If any of you are Yardi affiliated, we are begging you to PLEASE SEND HELP. I want you to come in and stay, take a look at the mechanics of this place for yourself. You’ll see that everything I have stated about this company is the truth.

I recognize that Glassdoor believes that even the worst companies have some redeeming qualities, and here at Pierce Eislen we enjoy the luxuries of two break rooms stocked with coffee, tea, and snack machines. The people here are generally wonderful people and they make me laugh every single day. But we need you to understand that these bright spots are hardly bright enough to cut through the fog of dejection and hopelessness we live with every single day.

What employees want is a management team that takes an interest in their employees - managers that give positive feedback when warranted and constructive criticism when needed. They want management that takes an active roll in the day-to-day business instead of locking themselves away in their plush glass offices while we slog through the day's work. They want to be treated fairly rather than feel demoralized each time management plays favorites. Speak to us as educated humans rather than children, because staring down at us from that ladder of yours does not inspire anything but contempt. Employees want managers and a leader who give us proper training, give us the opportunity to succeed rather than set us up for failure. Maybe then we'll have a team of upper management that trusts us to do our jobs, rather than question every assignment, take it to the CEO and have him destroy it without providing any feedback, as if our work meant nothing.

We are not drones you can train to operate on autopilot to get the astronomical numbers you expect. We are human beings who are here to work and do our best by you. You're all so caught up in your egos and machinations that you've neglected to hear the most obvious question your employees ask every single day:

Why on earth should we work so hard to do our best for you when you don't even bother to do the same for us?

These reviews are misleading...

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was not working here before Yardi took over in 2013 so the only reasoning I can come up with for these terrible reviews is there must have been some crazy stuff happening before that. Upon hire, I started accruing vacation time immediately. We get paid holidays, you are allowed to talk to your coworkers and you can use the bathroom whenever you feel like it. The health benefits are great and no, they do NOT charge you for the donuts at the monthly meeting. That one made me laugh. I actually like the work I do a lot. Yes it can be monotonous at times and you do have to copy several different people when sending certain emails, but nothing they have asked of me has seemed unreasonable. Also, I love not having a strict dress code. I am so uncomfortable in business clothing and love being able to wear jeans to work. When they buy pizza for whatever reason they get it from this delicious place with the best white pie and mini cannolis. They are SO GOOD.

Cons

You should get Bosa instead of Dunkin Donuts for the monthly meetings!

But seriously, I can't think of anything major to gripe about. I would like better computers. Mine can freeze up when I have lots of Internet tabs open, which I do often.

It would be nice to have file folders that aren't too long for my file cabinet in the supply closet (I had to dig to find ones that fit).

The office could use some cheerier decor, it is pretty grey and boring.

I would like a better way of being introduced to everyone. They walk you around the whole office the first day and you meet everyone all at once. I remembered literally no one and it was awkward at first. I suggest logging on to Yardi Client Central and studying the employee directory by selecting Scottsdale. Most people have a photo attached to their name which is helpful!

Helped to allow me the freedom to stay home with my infant twins1

Current Employee - Rent Surveyor in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Rent Surveyor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Being able to work remotely! No set hours. And really nice and helpful staff! The work isn't hard to do! And really anyone can do it!

Cons

Only real con is the pay! The pay was pretty good before they started working with a temp. agency. And the fact that you have a minimum to reach for the week

Keep up the good Work and Thank you! It would be nice to get a little better pay. But hey some pay is better than NO Pay!

Still having nightmares about this place.....BEWARE!

Current Employee - Not Sure in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Not Sure in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job? But so is Subway and I think they treat their employees with more dignity (and you get a free sandwich at the end of your shift).

Cons

I love glass door because they post how past EMPLOYEES feel about their experiences with the company. The last post was clearly an HR person. Yes they do bring doughnuts, but they make you pay for them out of your check with out your permission. Please please take my advise and do NOT under Any circumstances work here! If you really want a great career and like to have fun at work, try yelp or costco. You will thank me, I promise!

I have no advise for management because I truly feel there is none. So you can't give advice to something that does not exist. This place has to be a front for something.

A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Pierce-Eislen full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pierce-Eislen is an entrepreneurial company that takes pride in it's products, devotes considerable time with training employees fully on needed tasks. I personally suggest that if someone is looking for an opportunity to build a career that they look beyond this sadly disfranchised group, and see for yourself.

Cons

Employees that do not take advantage of the opportunities the company makes available.

The commentaries included in statements by what are clearly embittered individuals are patently false. There is no basis for claims stated.

Don't change the management style, as the formula of Pierce-Eislen, Inc. for 13 years has shown success.

Toot it and boot it

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Market Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Pierce-Eislen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was alot of exposure to some of the top producing firms across the USA, also you get access to all the major RE Business journals. I was a student at the time and they were flexible enough to work around my school hours and still keep me full time. There was once donuts at a meeting.

Cons

This place sucks the life out of you. I had little to no contact with any other employees but my manager and the pay and experience was just not worth the time. The average employment time of new hirees is about 3 months.

There's no corporate culture in this company.

Someone has already said it! "Worst place in the valley!"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-Workers that's it. If you get employee of the month you get a parking spot and let go the following month seen it happened 3 times.

Cons

Reading the other reviews I was literally cracking up! Insane amount of turnover constant changes to procedures. You get 8 hours of vacation a month and can't use it for six months no holidays and will short your paycheck every chance they get. You only get 2 bathroom breaks and are required to copy every person in the office on emails and asked to throw co-workers under the bus almost daily. The best part of the day is leaving and laughing with co-workers about how bad the company is and if you've had any interviews lately.

None they are too far gone to be helped.

Pierce-Eislen a Contradictory & Inefficient

Current Employee - Rent Surveyor
    Current Employee - Rent Surveyor

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Seasonal Rent Surveyor position seems good in theory for temporary seasonal work.

Cons

But you are not fully compensated as they promise. They require you to submit a specific number of completed surveys per week. If you go over that required amount listed in all of the job descriptions paperwork you are supposed to be paid a bonus. Unfortunately, this is not true. I tripled my requirement, I was not paid the bonus as promised. The longer you work in hours per day, they expect you to complete a minimum amount of surveys per hour in order to get paid that Bonus. The harder you work at completing surverys, the less hours & money they want to pay you. Too many technical issues & outages of the Rent database where you submit the completed rent surverys.
    They never disclose each individual's ratio or market ratio. My first check, they shortened me over $200!? I questioned this, and management confirmed I was correct! Can be very a arrogant when you question them on their written policy. Required to submit total hours worked each day. They benefit from those many surveys completed but refuse to correctly pay the workers. Love minimizing workers hours, all the time. If you want to work for Free, then choose Pierce-Eislen.

Fix your rent database.

Pierce-Eislen Response

Jun 10, 2014Marketing Administrator

The opinions expressed here are those of contractors hired three times a year to perform rent surveys. We hire over 400 contractors per survey campaign and strive for each to have a pleasant ... More

Seasonal work from home

Former Employee - Rent Surveyor (Seasonal)
    Former Employee - Rent Surveyor (Seasonal)

I worked at Pierce-Eislen as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Hours are picked by contractor. Work from home. Work was easy.

Cons

Pay structure for rent surveyor inconsistent. Pay not based on hours worked alone. While calling to each property was easy and obtaining the information in most cases was not difficult, I began to receive calls from some of the properties called. This was because some properties did not accept calls from blocked numbers. Time was reported daily but not paid according to what was reported. Administration is not helpful in explaining any Indiscrepancies and continues to cut and paste policies via email that they did not adhered to. System that is used to report surveys was flawed and crashed at least every other day.

No one has time to "give away". Contractors should be paid for time as reported and performed, and as agreed upon, no "adjustments" made based upon other's performance.

Pierce-Eislen Response

Jun 10, 2014Marketing Administrator

(Glad to be) Former Editor

Former Employee - Photo Editor/Data Entry in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Photo Editor/Data Entry in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Pierce-Eislen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits and a couple employees. That's it.

Cons

I am going to start by saying when I was interviewing with the CEO, I was asked why I should be hired because I was so young. To me, that is a little unnecessary. You aren't allowed to be social with anyone for more than 5 minutes. Also, You are only allowed a 15 minute break before and after an hour unpaid lunch. If you get up anytime before or after that to go to the bathroom, get water, make a snack etc. they will put a screensaver timer on your computer so they know how long you have been away from your desk. As said before, they micro-micro manage. They contradict themselves with the work they want you to do. They will give you paid time off after a certain time there and scold you when you use it. I was 2 minutes late a few times a week because I always got stuck in traffic no matter what time I left and I got written up. I was also put on a 3 week probation period, then told 3 months later that it was my final warning and I was let go. They will tell you they want to work with you but when you need to work with them, it's a never ending battle. You don't get paid near as much as the work suggests. It is a very backwards run company. They say you are paid salary but you have to clock in and out and if you work over the 86.78 hours in the pay period, you don't get paid for any of it. Even if they let you stay an extra hour, you won't get paid for a minute past the time you're supposed to clock out.

I had a notebook on my desk that I would take a couple minutes to write in when I was waiting for something to load or work etc. The head a different department came to my desk to ask if it was work related or for my projects and I said no. She then called my superior on her day off and 'told on me'. I got a call from my superior to put my notebook away and not let it be seen on my desk. They keep you pinned to your desk and computer no matter the circumstance. They are the most controlling company I have ever worked for.

Get a new HR person. Also, hire management that isn't completely clueless how to treat their employees. If they don't like you, you will definitely feel it. Also, don't talk down to your employees. They are not inferior to anyone else there. The CEO's receptionist also needs to understand to not be obnoxiously loud in the middle of a work environment if none of us can be.