Pierce-Eislen Reviews

2.4
Ron Brock, Sr

Good Opportunities

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time

Pros

Pierce Eislen is a well-positioned "niche" market type of Company. Founded by local entrepreneurs, it collects information on Residential, (apartments),and, now, Commercial real estate in markets all across the country. And, sells this information to subscribers. The Company was purchased in 2013, and now is owned 100% by a much larger, international company that offers many additional resources for the Real Estate business. The owner of the acquiring entity still owns the whole company. His background is impeccable, talents are endless, and his top management all appear to not only know what they are doing, but all committed to him and the company. It certainly appears to me to have great, long term opportunities for those interested in a real career.

Cons

One has to recognize just exactly what this kind of position entails. It is a cubicle setting, and sitting for 9 hours per day can be daunting, let alone not so healthy. Most learn to adjust.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of the best and the brightest, and you'll be ok.

Rent Surveyor

Pros

All the perks that come from being able to work from home.

Cons

This job is easy yet impossible. Apartment rental offices do not want to give info to a surveyor because they view it as a waste of their time, so you must "represent" yourself as an interested renter. You gather normal info like rent, deposit, specials, etc., but things get difficult when you ask for the management company name and how long they've managed the building. The misrepresentation really gets old when some offices begin to see through your facade, especially when you have to ask for multiple bedroom sizes and floorplans. As they catch on, your job becomes harder and they become more irritated and less willing to give you the info you need. Then, as you are not able to complete the property info forms and the end of the surveying season gets near, the company starts pressuring you to do so. In the end, its an easy enough job if you can deal with the aforementioned circumstances. I enjoyed calling around the country, "meeting" friendly apartment staff, and gathering info that was at times even interesting. I just got sick and tired of lying.

Advice to Management

You are not bad and the job you want done isn't either, but it is a bit realistic. I guess this really isn't advice, just more venting.

Profoundly Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits package provided by Yardi Systems is good, 3 weeks paid vacation in addition to 3 floating holidays. Both the basic and premium health insurance plans are excellent. There are many intelligent, funny and all-around decent people that you will have the pleasure of working with on a daily basis, and at times the work will be quite interesting. -We have (very occasional) pizza parties.

Cons

-The place is a cubicle farm, unfortunately. Grey walls, grey cubes, faded carpets better suited for a run down Motel 6 than an actual workplace. There is not a single splash of color in this place that makes it in any way inviting, and the building itself is situated in the middle of an office park, with very little shade and sparse covered parking. As far as I can tell, the building was designed by someone who has only a cursory grasp of the essentials of plumbing and HVAC, and it becomes a wind tunnel the moment the barometric pressure drops outside. There is very little seating in the lobby, and the only seating that you'll find outdoors are cinderblock benches that bake in the oppressive summer heat. -The managerial culture can best be described as passive-aggressive, uncommunicative and occasionally hostile, which results in chronic low morale for the majority of employees. You can be on good terms with your Team Lead or Department Manager for weeks on end, but then one day they won't even extend the most basic of courtesies towards you. No worries though, they can't hear you weeping in your cubicle, and if they did they would probably reprimand you for disrupting the work environment. Contradictory demands, general lack of positive feedback, unremitting criticism, constantly changing procedures that are only sporadically explained, and a constantly expanding work load will all conspire to beat you down. Individually, these things are tolerable, and were it not for the generalized lack of interdepartmental communication and borderline callousness of the middle management, this job would be just fine. As it stands, conflicts are never actually resolved, and resentment from both actual and imagined slights between employees has been stewing for years. Ever since our acquisition by Yardi, substantive changes have been promised by upper level executives visiting the office. Thus far, the only real changes have been interior renovations that have only made it easier to avoid walking past the offices of your superiors, and the introduction of a key-card entry system. The really unfortunate thing is that most of those not in management will agree with you 100%, but have become so mistrustful that the place becomes a perfect little Potemkin Village the moment anyone higher in the corporate hierarchy questions them about how to improve morale. Simply expecting people to take the initiative when airing grievances will not work, since they mostly assume that it won't get any worse (or better) if they simply keep their heads down and obsess over their daily work metrics. -There is no real opportunity for upward advancement, all job transfers within the office are strictly lateral in nature. Only a few people have been actually promoted during the time I've worked here. -The pay scale is pretty low, and seems that much worse given the aforementioned issues. Comparable positions at other companies in Phoenix pay about $5,000 to $10,000 more per year, depending on experience. -The turnover rate actually seems to be growing. -Again, let me re-emphasize, workplace morale is poor. This has long-term consequences that really, REALLY cannot be ignored.

Advice to Management

To Yardi: Please revisit the morale issue, if it isn't resolved, you will start to see diminishing returns on your investment. This results in lowered productivity, lost knowledge, and chronic absenteeism. We've expanded very rapidly, but unless the Scottsdale office becomes a more attractive place to work, there will be a constant outflow of competent staff that can only be partially stemmed by aggressively seeking out new hires. Training new employees is a time consuming process.

I liked working at Pierce-Eislen

I worked at Pierce-Eislen full-time

Pros

Most of the reviews here are terrible! I worked for Pierce-Eislen for years and I've never had a problem with management except for one. "She" is no longer at Pierce-Eislen. I know for a fact people were not happy with her - ever! I'm sure things have improved for the office since her departure. There are constant events such as Halloween parties, Christmas parties at the PV County Club, and bowling. There's also pizza parties, doughnuts, and bagels often. They offer nice benefits and pay is good.

Cons

Don't really have any. But, there are a couple of women that can be a little catty and gossipy.

Advice to Management

Feedback is important even if it's negative.

These reviews are misleading...

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was not working here before Yardi took over in 2013 so the only reasoning I can come up with for these terrible reviews is there must have been some crazy stuff happening before that. Upon hire, I started accruing vacation time immediately. We get paid holidays, you are allowed to talk to your coworkers and you can use the bathroom whenever you feel like it. The health benefits are great and no, they do NOT charge you for the donuts at the monthly meeting. That one made me laugh. I actually like the work I do a lot. Yes it can be monotonous at times and you do have to copy several different people when sending certain emails, but nothing they have asked of me has seemed unreasonable. Also, I love not having a strict dress code. I am so uncomfortable in business clothing and love being able to wear jeans to work. When they buy pizza for whatever reason they get it from this delicious place with the best white pie and mini cannolis. They are SO GOOD.

Cons

You should get Bosa instead of Dunkin Donuts for the monthly meetings! But seriously, I can't think of anything major to gripe about. I would like better computers. Mine can freeze up when I have lots of Internet tabs open, which I do often. It would be nice to have file folders that aren't too long for my file cabinet in the supply closet (I had to dig to find ones that fit). The office could use some cheerier decor, it is pretty grey and boring. I would like a better way of being introduced to everyone. They walk you around the whole office the first day and you meet everyone all at once. I remembered literally no one and it was awkward at first. I suggest logging on to Yardi Client Central and studying the employee directory by selecting Scottsdale. Most people have a photo attached to their name which is helpful!

Still having nightmares about this place.....BEWARE!

Current Employee - Not Sure in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Not Sure in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job? But so is Subway and I think they treat their employees with more dignity (and you get a free sandwich at the end of your shift).

Cons

I love glass door because they post how past EMPLOYEES feel about their experiences with the company. The last post was clearly an HR person. Yes they do bring doughnuts, but they make you pay for them out of your check with out your permission. Please please take my advise and do NOT under Any circumstances work here! If you really want a great career and like to have fun at work, try yelp or costco. You will thank me, I promise!

Advice to Management

I have no advise for management because I truly feel there is none. So you can't give advice to something that does not exist. This place has to be a front for something.

A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Pierce-Eislen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pierce-Eislen is an entrepreneurial company that takes pride in it's products, devotes considerable time with training employees fully on needed tasks. I personally suggest that if someone is looking for an opportunity to build a career that they look beyond this sadly disfranchised group, and see for yourself.

Cons

Employees that do not take advantage of the opportunities the company makes available. The commentaries included in statements by what are clearly embittered individuals are patently false. There is no basis for claims stated.

Advice to Management

Don't change the management style, as the formula of Pierce-Eislen, Inc. for 13 years has shown success.

Toot it and boot it

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Market Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Pierce-Eislen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was alot of exposure to some of the top producing firms across the USA, also you get access to all the major RE Business journals. I was a student at the time and they were flexible enough to work around my school hours and still keep me full time. There was once donuts at a meeting.

Cons

This place sucks the life out of you. I had little to no contact with any other employees but my manager and the pay and experience was just not worth the time. The average employment time of new hirees is about 3 months.

Advice to Management

There's no corporate culture in this company.

Someone has already said it! "Worst place in the valley!"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Pierce-Eislen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers that's it. If you get employee of the month you get a parking spot and let go the following month seen it happened 3 times.

Cons

Reading the other reviews I was literally cracking up! Insane amount of turnover constant changes to procedures. You get 8 hours of vacation a month and can't use it for six months no holidays and will short your paycheck every chance they get. You only get 2 bathroom breaks and are required to copy every person in the office on emails and asked to throw co-workers under the bus almost daily. The best part of the day is leaving and laughing with co-workers about how bad the company is and if you've had any interviews lately.

Advice to Management

None they are too far gone to be helped.

(Glad to be) Former Editor

Former Employee - Photo Editor/Data Entry in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Photo Editor/Data Entry in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Pierce-Eislen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and a couple employees. That's it.

Cons

I am going to start by saying when I was interviewing with the CEO, I was asked why I should be hired because I was so young. To me, that is a little unnecessary. You aren't allowed to be social with anyone for more than 5 minutes. Also, You are only allowed a 15 minute break before and after an hour unpaid lunch. If you get up anytime before or after that to go to the bathroom, get water, make a snack etc. they will put a screensaver timer on your computer so they know how long you have been away from your desk. As said before, they micro-micro manage. They contradict themselves with the work they want you to do. They will give you paid time off after a certain time there and scold you when you use it. I was 2 minutes late a few times a week because I always got stuck in traffic no matter what time I left and I got written up. I was also put on a 3 week probation period, then told 3 months later that it was my final warning and I was let go. They will tell you they want to work with you but when you need to work with them, it's a never ending battle. You don't get paid near as much as the work suggests. It is a very backwards run company. They say you are paid salary but you have to clock in and out and if you work over the 86.78 hours in the pay period, you don't get paid for any of it. Even if they let you stay an extra hour, you won't get paid for a minute past the time you're supposed to clock out. I had a notebook on my desk that I would take a couple minutes to write in when I was waiting for something to load or work etc. The head a different department came to my desk to ask if it was work related or for my projects and I said no. She then called my superior on her day off and 'told on me'. I got a call from my superior to put my notebook away and not let it be seen on my desk. They keep you pinned to your desk and computer no matter the circumstance. They are the most controlling company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Get a new HR person. Also, hire management that isn't completely clueless how to treat their employees. If they don't like you, you will definitely feel it. Also, don't talk down to your employees. They are not inferior to anyone else there. The CEO's receptionist also needs to understand to not be obnoxiously loud in the middle of a work environment if none of us can be.

RSS Feed </> Embed