Pillar Hotels and Resorts
www.pillarhotels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Pillar Hotels and Resorts Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Chris Russell

Wonderful company to work for - pleasant coworkers & managers who care!

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsSeveral benefits with numerous hotel chains.
Very pleasant co workers & managers who care about their employees. I've never had a problem voicing my opinion & having it taken seriously.
Amazing working environment @ the corporate level; it is easily the best company I've ever worked for.
This company is definitely expanding; they're getting bigger every week. Thus, now is the perfect opportunity to begin working for the company, while you're a person, rather than a number. I see this company exploding in the future, as long as upper management gives credit where it is due, provides more of an incentive, and acknowledges the amount of work that each employee actually does. I am very optimistic for this company, for they have a bright future ahead of them, as long as they start to hire competent managers at the hotel level.
There is a lot of potential for growth! Raises & promotions are easy to get if you are competent, enthusiastic about your job, and willing to accept & complete challenging tasks.
Corporate is always available & more than willing to help their hotel-level employees.

ConsToo much is handled by too few employees at corporate.
Time off & incentives could use a lot of work.
Employees at the hotel level (rather than corporate) are quick to point the finger; they often procrastinate on projects then make excuses for missing deadlines, rather than having a proactive, punctual approach.
Several General Managers rely on lower level employees to do all of the work, rather than leading by example & getting their hands dirty. They act more like bosses, rather than leaders (their minds are focused on"me" rather than "us").

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the amount of work that is on the employees' plates & try to not spread them too thin; they work VERY hard without complaining. Give credit where it is due. Quality is better than quantity; it's more profitable & feasible to manage fewer, higher quality properties, rather than looking for MORE hotels to manage. If quantity is desired, at least raise the standards, or take the time & spend the money to improve the hotels that clearly need a lot of improvements. GMs need to be hired based on experience, competence, and a vested interest in taking care of their employees.

Odd Hotel Group

General Manager (Former Employee)
Irving, TX

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsCan't really think of any. That's why I left.

ConsVery large Female presence in management - almost completely. This might be a plus for some but be ready for some very 'surface' effectiveness. With the exception of only 1 or 2 at the home office they come off as patronizing and extremely controlling - in the end to the detriment of the hotel. There is zero culture and a feel of being acknowledged or rewarded with the feeling of becoming a long term employee/manager based on success is not there at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a company that specializes in coming in and igniting a culture within your business. Without good people working for you - you will lose. The constant ads for managers on hotel industry hiring sites tell the story of constant management turnaround - that is another warning sign that scared me off.

Micro-Management at its finest

Guest Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits-but they are expensive.
Room discounts
Earn Vacation time & Sick time

ConsBenefits- expensive for what you make.
Micro-managed, no autonomy for anyone to do the right thing
Unethical
Favoritism
Do not appreciate employees with experience
Managers & Sales Managers can talk to you however they want and get away with it
No training to progress
No raises, even if there is...it is not much
Low pay for what you are required to do
Belittled
Unqualified people in upper management positions
Managers hire friends for upper management positions

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all your employees with respect. Allow them to do the right thing for their guests and for employees. Everyone is an adult and not a child, treat them as such. The company needs some ethics training. When employees try to do what is right for the customer, employees get in trouble for it (backwards, don't you think?). Offer better training for employees so they know what they are doing. Also offer Management Training courses for those who wish to go into Management with the company (not just the ones the Upper Managers like-not effective). Pay your employees better, there are other hotels who pay way more!

I wish I would enjoy it more than I do

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsHotel discounts, promotions from within for upper management, hourly staff are not promoted. Overall corporate was good and supportive when needed.

ConsLack of training and guidance, horrible treatment by the GM. She was rude, belittling, and constantly putting others down. Lower salary than competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the staff of an entire hotel is complaining about the treatment and lack of respect coming from the GM, you may want to listen. Stop ignoring the problem and fix it before it's too late. Losing staff after staff member is not worth keeping a GM that is ultimately going to cause a law suite. Good luck!

Constant turnovers in corporate, but overall a great place to work.

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsPillar Hotels and Resorts always cared about their employees, and there was always someone who would listen who you could go to with any questions or concerns. I always felt like I could ask questions if needed.

ConsThere is constant turnover in management, and they allow people to get away with too much. My direct boss didn't do anything for almost a year before she was finally let go. She did damage to the hotel that took years to fix. They should have let her, and others go much sooner than they did.

Good company to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time

ProsGreat benefits.
Will look at promoting from within first when a position is available.

ConsLots of upper management changes

Eye-opening

Gallery Host (Current Employee)
Leawood, KS

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsThe discounts and accrued vacation time are the best benefits.

ConsNo communication amongst management and staff. They skip steps in the disciplinary actions, the company doesn't pay enough, and they are understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and as equals, not subordinates.

Not quite ready to be a management company

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for less than a year

Prosthe discount at other properties is the only reason to work here, but don't stay at a pillar property.

Consvery micro management style. only the corporate office can do anything. not quite sure why they even have general managers. they don't take care of their properties. they don't live by the standards they preach.

Advice to Senior Managementlet go, and let your managers have some control at their property. they shouldn't have to ask you every time they want to do any little thing. even hr doesn't give the manager any "credit", they have to approve even the simplest of documentations for every employee. it's too much work and stress for no satisfaction

Lower pay than comp set, your just a number and many practices are unethical.

Assistant General Manager II (Former Employee)

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have several different types of hotels you can get employee rates at while travelling.

ConsToo much finger pointing, no ownership or taking responsibility of problems by upper management. Proper training is severely lacking. High turnover because of management; they do not provide employees with the necessary tools to perform to expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHospitality is about caring for people; that includes employees. Take ownership of your mistakes instead of placing the blame for your shady business practices on others. Put some money into the hotels and employees and maybe your profit will increase. Changing your name doesn't make your problems go away.

Nice place to work, seems like the corporate part has everything organized and well-managed so business goes smoothly.

Front Desk (Current Employee)
Morgan Hill, CA

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsOrganized, good pay, benefits, non-union.

ConsDrama with other employees, hostility with other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like adults instead of like children who are beneath them.

Worked for Pillar Hotels and Resorts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pillar Hotels and Resorts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pillar Hotels and Resorts CEO Chris Russell. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Pillar Hotels and Resorts employees.