Pillar Hotels and Resorts

Updated August 6, 2014
Updated August 6, 2014

2.7

Chris Russell

Good benefits but lack of promotion opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits such as sick time and vacation time which accumulate rapidly. Yearly evaluations with the potential to get up to 4 % of your annual salary.

Cons

Very few promotions of current employees. Management and supervisor positions are filled from outside the company. It doesn't matter if you give 110 % or 20 % everyone is considered the same, hard work is not recognized and lack of employee appreciation leads to low moral.

Some general managers hardly every show up to work on a regular basis and promotions from within in are practically nonexistent. Employee appreciation is also nonexistent eventhough we are the ones that are the face of the hotels.

Looked promising but sadly misrepresented

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits but expensive, generous PTO. Great line level associates and property managers

Cons

Too much reporting/administrative work. I got into hospitality to engage with guests not to spend my time sitting at desk doing paperwork. This company micro manages way too much. Should allow managers to do what they were hired to do, manage.

Trust your managers, give the support they need. don't just bark orders and expect it to happen. Respect your employees and recognize talent and reward a job well done. Don't be so cheap, you run your hotels lean and mean then wonder why your customer satisfaction scores aren't where they need to be. You might also consider paying a bit more then maybe your turnover could be minimized. Your salaries are not in line with the market place.

Nice Place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always care about employees
    Top in the industry
    Exciting place to work
    Constantly growing

Cons

Everything is good, there are no cons of working for this excellent company. There are some growing pains for the company, as it is constantly changing things around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Rep

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts part-time

Pros

Employee Discounts, flexible hours, various postions

Cons

Extremely below market pay. Never worked at a hotel, where part time workers were not given paid time off.
    Very incompetent management that can't seem to get it right at the hotel I worked at. Employees are not given proper training, hence the high turnover .

Pay Attention to online reviews for your many hotels. When problems seem constant at many of your hotels, such as employee moral, turnover,maintenance and service issues don't pretend they don't exist. Perhaps, if you paid a competitive salaries to other hotels of similar service ,plus offered better benefits perhaps associates would stick around

Odd Hotel Group

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can't really think of any. That's why I left.

Cons

Very large Female presence in management - almost completely. This might be a plus for some but be ready for some very 'surface' effectiveness. With the exception of only 1 or 2 at the home office they come off as patronizing and extremely controlling - in the end to the detriment of the hotel. There is zero culture and a feel of being acknowledged or rewarded with the feeling of becoming a long term employee/manager based on success is not there at all.

Hire a company that specializes in coming in and igniting a culture within your business. Without good people working for you - you will lose. The constant ads for managers on hotel industry hiring sites tell the story of constant management turnaround - that is another warning sign that scared me off.

Wonderful company to work for - pleasant coworkers & managers who care!

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Several benefits with numerous hotel chains.
    Very pleasant co workers & managers who care about their employees. I've never had a problem voicing my opinion & having it taken seriously.
    Amazing working environment @ the corporate level; it is easily the best company I've ever worked for.
    This company is definitely expanding; they're getting bigger every week. Thus, now is the perfect opportunity to begin working for the company, while you're a person, rather than a number. I see this company exploding in the future, as long as upper management gives credit where it is due, provides more of an incentive, and acknowledges the amount of work that each employee actually does. I am very optimistic for this company, for they have a bright future ahead of them, as long as they start to hire competent managers at the hotel level.
    There is a lot of potential for growth! Raises & promotions are easy to get if you are competent, enthusiastic about your job, and willing to accept & complete challenging tasks.
    Corporate is always available & more than willing to help their hotel-level employees.

Cons

Too much is handled by too few employees at corporate.
    Time off & incentives could use a lot of work.
    Employees at the hotel level (rather than corporate) are quick to point the finger; they often procrastinate on projects then make excuses for missing deadlines, rather than having a proactive, punctual approach.
    Several General Managers rely on lower level employees to do all of the work, rather than leading by example & getting their hands dirty. They act more like bosses, rather than leaders (their minds are focused on"me" rather than "us").

Consider the amount of work that is on the employees' plates & try to not spread them too thin; they work VERY hard without complaining. Give credit where it is due. Quality is better than quantity; it's more profitable & feasible to manage fewer, higher quality properties, rather than looking for MORE hotels to manage. If quantity is desired, at least raise the standards, or take the time & spend the money to improve the hotels that clearly need a lot of improvements. GMs need to be hired based on experience, competence, and a vested interest in taking care of their employees.

I wish I would enjoy it more than I do

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hotel discounts, promotions from within for upper management, hourly staff are not promoted. Overall corporate was good and supportive when needed.

Cons

Lack of training and guidance, horrible treatment by the GM. She was rude, belittling, and constantly putting others down. Lower salary than competitors

If the staff of an entire hotel is complaining about the treatment and lack of respect coming from the GM, you may want to listen. Stop ignoring the problem and fix it before it's too late. Losing staff after staff member is not worth keeping a GM that is ultimately going to cause a law suite. Good luck!

Eye-opening

Current Employee - Gallery Host  in  Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Gallery Host in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discounts and accrued vacation time are the best benefits.

Cons

No communication amongst management and staff. They skip steps in the disciplinary actions, the company doesn't pay enough, and they are understaffed.

Treat your employees with respect and as equals, not subordinates.

Micro-Management at its finest

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits-but they are expensive.
    Room discounts
    Earn Vacation time & Sick time

Cons

Benefits- expensive for what you make.
    Micro-managed, no autonomy for anyone to do the right thing
    Unethical
    Favoritism
    Do not appreciate employees with experience
    Managers & Sales Managers can talk to you however they want and get away with it
    No training to progress
    No raises, even if there is...it is not much
    Low pay for what you are required to do
    Belittled
    Unqualified people in upper management positions
    Managers hire friends for upper management positions

Treat all your employees with respect. Allow them to do the right thing for their guests and for employees. Everyone is an adult and not a child, treat them as such. The company needs some ethics training. When employees try to do what is right for the customer, employees get in trouble for it (backwards, don't you think?). Offer better training for employees so they know what they are doing. Also offer Management Training courses for those who wish to go into Management with the company (not just the ones the Upper Managers like-not effective). Pay your employees better, there are other hotels who pay way more!

Constant turnovers in corporate, but overall a great place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pillar Hotels and Resorts always cared about their employees, and there was always someone who would listen who you could go to with any questions or concerns. I always felt like I could ask questions if needed.

Cons

There is constant turnover in management, and they allow people to get away with too much. My direct boss didn't do anything for almost a year before she was finally let go. She did damage to the hotel that took years to fix. They should have let her, and others go much sooner than they did.

Worked for Pillar Hotels and Resorts? Contribute to the Community!