Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
2.5

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Fast paced job, lots of personalities, you'll something new everyday (in 17 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is good and most co-workers are friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The management skills of the upper management was lacking in different things (in 17 reviews)

• long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my job!

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Team work, great morale! Understanding in time of need! Great insurance! Great training and corporate teams! Great customers and driver driven!

Cons

Sometimes feel left out or in the dark about major decisions. The management skills of the upper management was lacking in different things.

My Experience

Former Employee - Payroll Administrator in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Payroll Administrator in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yearly review with ok raise. Family oriented and work with you when you need time off.

Cons

No room for career growth

Don't just promote someone because they've been there longer

Great place to work, love going to work everyday

Current Employee - Fuel Driver in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Fuel Driver in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No stress, co workers are helpfull and just the fact that you go in, do your job and no one bothers you. Great equipment.

Cons

Really dont have any. Wish they would let us wash the trucks more often

Would like better health care, as far as the cost of it.

An experience you will never forget

Current Employee - Cashier in Breaux Bridge, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Breaux Bridge, LA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was nice to just be around a lot of different people.

Cons

Putting away stock, coming in when you were not scheduled...they conveniently Roget your day that you request off.

It would be great not to be scheduled to work every weekend day.

Pilot

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kannapolis, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kannapolis, NC

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced job, lots of personalities, you'll something new everyday

Cons

Somewhat of a demanding job, not many perks or incentives although the job can be very tough, you have to be fully committed to the company

What a world we work in?

Current Employee - Guest Service Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Service Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting paid for a freak show, Never a dull moment

Cons

Constantly getting hit on allllll day long, Pay is definitely based on who you know, Male Management are paid better. They over work the bad employees, have little balance between the good and the bad

When you promote or hire someone, submit a legitimate offer, don't insult people or your embarrass yourself

Fast-paced and extremely stressful.

Current Employee - Guest Service Leader
    Current Employee - Guest Service Leader

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of working for Pilot was they have good benefits and there is a small chance to rise into management.

Cons

We were a small truck stop that was very laid back. We had enough people to manage the workload effectively so no employee would be overstressed. Customers were helped as quick and friendly as possible and we were able to keep the entire store very clean. Then Pilot Flying J bought our company.
    They cut our hours by more than half, where we used to be around 1200 - 1400 hours a week we were down to below 600 hours every week. There was no pay raise for the excessive amount of work that every employee had to take up. Personally, my Regional Manager threatens to fire someone every time he comes in. Plus, we constantly have mystery shoppers. How is this suppose to instill faith and commitment into your employees?
    I used to enjoy coming to work and helping the truckers. We were very customer based, now I have to rush through every single customer and if a problem arises, God help me.

Give more hours. You are making plenty of money as it is. Try and reduce the stress and workload on your "most valuable resource," the employees.

Not impressed

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly the only pro I have is that the uniform prohibits and scandalous attire. I've had problems with that in the past. Another plus is that they are very well organized and have set ways for almost everything.

Cons

A lot of the challenges I encounter every day is that the upper management doesn't seem to care so much for the cashiers. The management is very clique like, as if they were in high school.

Make the cashiers feel more welcome when they get hired. I know the turn over rates are probably high but you should still be a human being to the employees

Former GM of Multiple Locations

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid weekly. You work with some great co-workers and guests. There are lots of opportunities for front line team members to become hourly supervisors. Fast paced, never dull.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations with hours given. And as earlier reviewers said, Regional Managers know it and hands are tied to fix it. Our Regional would have all GMs use a day off to go to another store once a month to get that store caught up. Only there would be no way to maintain it. The fact that only this year did they decide to conduct an associate opinion survey shows just how out of touch upper management is. We were given an Ipad to perform admin tasks on the floor instead of in the office and then they added a bunch of new admin tasks to the Ipad to keep you from managing your team/taking care of your guests. We were sold a bill of goods earlier this year when they eliminated all salaried co-managers (assistant GM's). We were told there would be a increase in weekly hours to offset the loss of the salaried manager but the hours stayed the same until they were decreased. I guess Jimmy decided he had to make back his $92MM fine all this year. And how Mitch Steenrod (CFO) still has his job is beyond comprehension; either he knew about the rebate scam and should have been terminated/imprisoned or was too incompetent to know about the rebate scam and should have been terminated. You can manage your store to the standards or to pass Internal Audit or stay off of whatever report on Ipad usage they want to look at that week. Pick where you want to fail.

You say you "hate lines," but you don't hate them enough to staff the stores properly. Do the math: If a store has Maintenance from 6a-12a (no overlap), that equals 1000 minutes after subtracting lunches/breaks. Clean a shower/laundry takes 7 minutes, so 100 showers/day = 300 minutes remaining. 30 minutes to fill all bug buckets for gas and diesel = 270. 80 minutes to empty all gas/diesel/back lot trash cans at least twice per day = 110 minutes remaining. Subtract 90 minutes for 5 minutes/hour cleaning the bathrooms/deli trash = 20 minutes to detail pumps/showers/mop floors/pressure wash/etc. Good luck with that. Make nice with your future cellmates.

Hard to move up

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company values, pretty laid back as long as you're getting the job. They do care about their employees. pretty solid benefits

Cons

management does a very poor job at dispersing work load. very naive to how much time certain tasks might take. The most understaffed company iv'e ever worked for.

Do a better job at spreading the work load out and hiring people in areas of need.