Pilot Flying J

Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam

Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Get to talk to people all day, fast paced at times, good first job(in 14 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is good and most co-workers are friendly(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management expects a-grade work for f-grade pay(in 13 reviews)

• long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max(in 8 reviews)

Very organized

Facility Manager (Former Employee) Elkton, MD

ProsMulti faceted business that does 350,000 per day per unit

ConsSalary caps do not let you advance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to do several jobs at once

Big turnover rate

ProsA lot of opportunity for overtime and constant work. You're never bored trying to find things to do because of how fast-paced the work environment is. The help desk is top-notch. I've never had an issue they couldn't help me resolve.

ConsHuge turnover rate in two years of working i've had 3 General managers, and about 3 or 4 complete revisions of other staff members. Only one employee is still there when I was hired. That shouldn't discourage anyone, but get used to training people. The pay is also a little less than you would expect for the amount of work that is asked of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees that have been there and are experienced should be the first ones able to be promoted within the company, not people from other businesses. Also, those same employees should be compensated for the work they do, and as they learn and grow, should have a pay increase that reflects the greater knowledge of the procedures.

General Manager

General Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsDecent benefits and compensation package

ConsIncreasing demands while eliminating the tools necessary to achieve goals. There is a lack of knowledge/communication by above store management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of leadership

Co Manager (Former Employee) North Lima, OH

ProsIt is nice talking to your regular customers, but thats about the only pro.

ConsAbove store level management is about as incompetent as they come. Micromanagement is extreme in this company. They do not allow the managers of the store to staff the store properly, forcing everyone there to take on more tasks than there is time for, then they yell at you when everything isnt done. They force you to run out of product to use and sell to keep costs down. They really dont care about their customers or workers at all, just about the money. As a manager you will work at least 60-70 hours a week or more, they do not care about your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your store level managers how things are really going. Loosen up the belt and allow them to staff properly, and order their product properly and maybe the customer wont hate you so much. Learn how to promote the correct people to management positions, instead of your favorites.

Restaurant work OKAY, Store side probably better

Cashier (Current Employee) Cordele, GA

ProsPilot Flying J is a large corporation that takes wages, hours, and business operation seriously . Although they are primarily a minimum wage corporation, at least for the restaurant in Pilot Flying J for which I work, I hear cashiers for the store side are paid better. It's probably nicer and less stressful over on the store side as well, although you have a constant influx of customers. My experience must not be much different from a stand-alone restaurant, although there is the occasional interaction between us on the restaurant side and those on the store side. Overall, it is a job, and there are much worse places to work.

ConsThey are heavy on suggestive selling, making it feel like you've always got to pester every customer for every penny, instead of allowing you to really focus on the one true thing that matters - SERVING THE CUSTOMER! The one thing about Pilot is that they are money-Mizars; you will not ever get overtime, and there have been many occasions we just did not have enough employees to handle business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a leader in charisma, positivity, effort, discipline, cleanliness, pride yet humility, chivalry, upkeep, and leadership.

Fast paced and never boring

RGM (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood opportunities for advancement. Company rewards achievement and gas an awesome bonus program

ConsTypical retail challenges but nothing that can't be overcome with a little creativity and hard work

Good when I started

Co Manager (Former Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsBonuses, Co workers, Meeting New people

ConsAs my time there went on, i realized the fast service was not true. They don't like lines but give you enough cashiers, 1, so you are continuously stopping managing the place so you can wait on customers. You are required to work 10 hour days as salary position. No problem. But after cashiering for 10 of those, now you need to get the manager part done when you should be going home.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so damn greedy. Our store was making money hand over fist yet we were always short staffed. You burned me out.

Very customer oriented

Deli Production (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsVery friendly customers and store is clean

ConsManagement only thinks of themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more an stop playing favorites

Demeaning

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richfield, UT

ProsMy co-workers for the most part are great to work with. It's nice to have regular customers who just come in to visit on a daily basis.

ConsManagement hiring practices are a joke, we keep getting employees who aren't qualified to use the equipment necessary for their jobs, or people who don't even want to work. Instead of getting told about the good job you are doing, you are talked down to in a demeaning manner when you were unable to get something done or made a mistake. Raises are a myth.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some people skills!! Also, learn how to schedule people when you need them, it makes it difficult for all necessary work to get done when you're constantly having to complete jobs from prior shifts. Take some time before hiring the 1st person who applies, make sure they really want to be there and want to work and not just get a check for doing nothing. Learn to listen to your managers and not blame every issue that comes up as a "coaching problem."

Disastrous store

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWeekly pay and occasional bonuses based on mystery shops fast paced friendships and customer base for the most part is nice

ConsUpper Management cares nothing about the lower managers and how their lives are affected by the job long hours never get any holidays off only higher mgmt does

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being vindictive and start appreciating your lower management who are the ones that run your stores!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Pilot Flying J? Contribute to the Community!