Pilot Flying J

Updated January 25, 2015
2.6

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Fast paced job, lots of personalities, you'll something new everyday (in 17 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is good and most co-workers are friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The management skills of the upper management was lacking in different things (in 17 reviews)

• long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Higher up staff, excellent training, extremely helpful during training period.

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Minot, ND
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Minot, ND

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very understanding and helpful, lenient when learning job duties.

Cons

Short staffed , constantly having to stay overtime and do work of two shifts.

Decent job to have.

Former Employee - Maintenance in Alorton, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Alorton, IL

I worked at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Good employer, professional atmosphere. I liked my co-workers, very nice people. Not overwhelming on the duties of any one position in the store.

Cons

The job and the atmosphere were a very nice experience. Although the hours were very challenging to plan around? Good job if you're looking for part time?

Creating more full time positions would be helpful.

This job has its perks and its downside overall it an ok company to work for.

Current Employee - Guest Service Leader II in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Guest Service Leader II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bonuses every month
    Fast pace environment
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

It can be hard to move up if your GM or DM don't like you
    Customers are not the friendliest
    Company likes to save money, every little thing matters

None

Cashier,maintenance, stock,shift lead

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Meeting new people every day and helping to create lasting impression. .i love my regular customers they make my work feel so appreciated and that my dedication isnt being over looked.

Cons

Never set schedule changes without notice.
    One day cashier next min. No maintenance and im stuck getting cashier hourly pay rate n doing two jobs at same time when maintenance normally makes at least $1-2$ more per hr. But im doing both for under $9
    only management has family that needs them. You will not get a holiday off....so forget asking.

Listen n stop letting complaints fall on deaf ears ....appreciate your loyal workers n stop complaining about staff to staff...dont like someones work ethic? Change who works....duh u have the power people.

unorganized

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Lead in Leavenworth, IN
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Lead in Leavenworth, IN

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than a year)

Pros

for me the best thing about working at pilot is that it is close to my home.

Cons

being open 365 days a year. employees not recognized for hard work

take more time to train each and every employee properly, listen to employees and be a little more understanding. lead not manage, better communication between shifts

Company cares about no one.

Former Employee - Shift Leader
    Former Employee - Shift Leader

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best part of the job is that everyone below the GM becomes close like a family. The drivers get to be "family" too.

Cons

company cares about bottom line only, not their employees

Training is NEVER fully completed (not even the managers are fully trained before given a shift of their own), the stores cannot keep good people because they either hire people blindly or give way too many chances for poor performance or attitude to BAD employees... As a former Manager I would LOVE to share my thoughts with upper management but I know it will not make a difference.

Team Leader

Former Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Ontario, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Ontario, OR

I worked at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Good Company with benefits and weekly pay

Cons

Bad Management lack of respect for staff from new Manager

Manager was very inconsistent with scheduling and did not always speak the truth.

Before Pilot

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Before Pilot the company was family

Cons

FJ selling due to bankruptcy and fraud issue broke my heart.

Nothing- not worth it now.. you sold my unit to competition for profit

I could do better.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've had a few coworkers that make this job great. I get along with them and everything. You get customers from all around the world. I once had a tour bus of people from France stop by and it was lovely. We got the occasional traveler from Europe or Australia. That was the good part.

Cons

Most people are backstabbing liars who will do anything to see you burn. I've had people turn me in for things I didn't say and it got me in deep water. Who will they believe someone who's been there forever or the newbie? You decide. You don't get paid a lot. Everyone starts out on different pay. Don't get me started on how I have yet to get a raise, EVEN ON 3RD SHIFT! Managers put you where they want on the schedule. I can' tell you how many times I've had to come in back to back on shifts. Working 11-6:30am then back at 3pm. And it takes over 30 minutes to drive to work. Never in my life have I thought about driving my car into a 18-wheeler just to avoid work, but this job did it. Calling in? Don't do it. They won't believe you for a second you're sick or have an emergency. Yet the manager will get by with it in a heartbeat. I could go on, but I'll spare your time.

Do us a favor, pay attention to the complains your employees make. This company is going down in a sink hole.

It was a passable job.

Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They were accommodating with hours; I could generally get 20 hours or more when I wanted it but they were willing to work me one day a week if I needed it for school or just because I needed time off.
    There was an easy going way of things as long as everyone was doing their work.
    Though I was utterly replaceable being a cashier, I felt valued by my immediate superiors in general.
    401K with matching.

I would recommend this job to a high school kid or someone who desperately needs employment, but I could not offer it seriously to anyone who can get anything better.

Cons

Work is dull, but that is the nature of cashiering.
    Pay was just above minimum, but that is in the nature of cashiering.
    We are offered little protection from rowdy and potentially violent customers; generally a customer getting aggravated will end in you being reprimanded.
    They did not practice internal promotion or provide any training to advance careers despite requests to do so. The most cross-training I got was lessons on how to clean the showers.
    Consistency was lacking. Someone who repeatedly had absences (no call, no shows or no call late arrivals) was pardoned, where as other individuals were punished brutally or reprimanded for minor offenses. Discipline was not enforced as much as it should have been, especially with women.
    The nature of the post I was at generally meant that if someone called off (which happened more often than it should have), the 'main' cashier and manager on duty were in a pickle.
    The CEO is not an ethical individual. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Enforce standards equally; a male high school student deserves no more punishment for a no call no show than a single mother and no less, either.
    Train all employees who are willing in maintenance tasks so that they can comfortably and confidently solve customer problems, especially with diesel pumps.
    And, to upper management who are in charge of choosing how much hours stores get to toss around, you know you can sacrifice a couple hundred bucks in a week in order to make the store run better. Spend some money, make more with increased efficiency and service.