Pilot Flying J

Updated December 21, 2014
2.6

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Fast paced job, lots of personalities, you'll something new everyday (in 17 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is good and most co-workers are friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The management skills of the upper management was lacking in different things (in 17 reviews)

• long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Before Pilot

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Before Pilot the company was family

Cons

FJ selling due to bankruptcy and fraud issue broke my heart.

Nothing- not worth it now.. you sold my unit to competition for profit

I could do better.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've had a few coworkers that make this job great. I get along with them and everything. You get customers from all around the world. I once had a tour bus of people from France stop by and it was lovely. We got the occasional traveler from Europe or Australia. That was the good part.

Cons

Most people are backstabbing liars who will do anything to see you burn. I've had people turn me in for things I didn't say and it got me in deep water. Who will they believe someone who's been there forever or the newbie? You decide. You don't get paid a lot. Everyone starts out on different pay. Don't get me started on how I have yet to get a raise, EVEN ON 3RD SHIFT! Managers put you where they want on the schedule. I can' tell you how many times I've had to come in back to back on shifts. Working 11-6:30am then back at 3pm. And it takes over 30 minutes to drive to work. Never in my life have I thought about driving my car into a 18-wheeler just to avoid work, but this job did it. Calling in? Don't do it. They won't believe you for a second you're sick or have an emergency. Yet the manager will get by with it in a heartbeat. I could go on, but I'll spare your time.

Do us a favor, pay attention to the complains your employees make. This company is going down in a sink hole.

guest service leader 2

Current Employee - Guest Service Leader
    Current Employee - Guest Service Leader

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

my store is very family oriented, and we produce great customer service. We are always trying to make our place cleaner and better. We will go out of our way to make things right. We are there for each other, and we are quick to help our own. Plus you get 80hrs of vacation and after 5yrs it goes to 120hrs. Love the people i work with

Cons

you work very hard for little pay.Not much training, I feel like they do the sink or swim method. Not aloud to call out even if your dying.(better have a doctor's note or you get wrote up) Communication is not a strong point either. I feel like corporate is just out to make a dollar for there own pocket, and the holiday bonus is a $20 gift card to pilot.

we have a high turn over rate which could be fixed if we would pay a little better.

Managers

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Pros

You get bonuses and double time for holidays.paid vacation and sick time.

Cons

You get your hours cut first. You work 50 hours a week on the clock but have to physically b there more because of breaks. Co-managets are not salary.

If you have a family I may no be worth it. Being away from my family for 65 hours. Week is rough. You don't get to pick your schedile . The GM does.

Great opportunity but extremely tough enviroment

Current Employee - Co Manager in Ruther Glen, VA
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Ruther Glen, VA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Pay/ Bonus vacation retirement coffee

Cons

Schedule too many bosses they have lost touch with the employees

Dont lose touch

General manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Woodland, CA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay , bonus , stability growth . Hours . Customer base supervisors . Locations .

Cons

Long hours . Micromanagement they focus on one thing hardcore for two weeks the. On a second fort he next week

Listen to your employees

Good place, benefits lackluster

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work for Knoxville. There is lots of growth happening in this company, which does allow does movement into other departments. Great place to learn a trade and move on to bigger role and pay elsewhere. The hours can be anywhere from 40-50 hours per week in the office depending on role and season plus on-call and work from home.

Cons

Company admits they pay below average rates for white collar roles as they benchmark themselves against retail and convenience store industry companies. Benefits are lackluster, with deductibles in the 1,500-6,000 range.

Increase the value to employees to continue to stay with you.

Definitely a huge learning experience!!!!

Former Employee - GSL2 in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - GSL2 in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers are pretty well balanced. They make it worth coming to work. It is nice to be the reason a trucker has a good day, when they are overwhelmed by all the rules, regulations, and stress of their under appreciated jobs.

Cons

Its always a different problem to be "dealt with" each and every month by management. They can never stay focused on the things that truly need to be addressed. We get you sales management teams, decided to pad their wallets and Pilots as well. Taking money from the stores to help balance things, when you are having to drop $90-100 million to make people happy, really isn't help put the optimal profits in the stores.

Create some randomly selected employees from all over the company, put them together to give corporate a real look at what is happening in stores and how to resolve the problems. The company has lost sight of its real purpose.

No matter how good you are at your job the managers will always have something to complain about.

Current Employee - Cashier/Cinnabon in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cinnabon in Gary, IN

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you make more then min wage.

Cons

requesting time off was very hard. the schedule changes without notice. the managers are lazy. they're a revolving door employer always hiring and firing people. wouldn't let me switch positions but kept hiring new people\, they put you where they want you and thats it!

Teach your managers to praise employees rather then always put them down and quit firing people for small things. Offer current employees positions before hiring new people, its called internally hiring. try it!

pleasent

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Matthews, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Matthews, MO

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good hours good people to work with

Cons

farther away from home few people that work there

keep it up