Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
2.5

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Get to talk to people all day, fast paced at times, good first job (in 16 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is good and most co-workers are friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management expected too much for too little pay (in 16 reviews)

• long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

What a world we work in?

Current Employee - Guest Service Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Service Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting paid for a freak show, Never a dull moment

Cons

Constantly getting hit on allllll day long, Pay is definitely based on who you know, Male Management are paid better. They over work the bad employees, have little balance between the good and the bad

When you promote or hire someone, submit a legitimate offer, don't insult people or your embarrass yourself

Hard to move up

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company values, pretty laid back as long as you're getting the job. They do care about their employees. pretty solid benefits

Cons

management does a very poor job at dispersing work load. very naive to how much time certain tasks might take. The most understaffed company iv'e ever worked for.

Do a better job at spreading the work load out and hiring people in areas of need.

promote within

Former Employee - Co Manager in Clinton, NJ
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Clinton, NJ

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you have a good gm that is willing to work with you you can help them go far in the co

Cons

corp. neede to look at the over all store and realy see who and how is getting the work done and giving the best customer service while following policies and procedures

need to be aware of the people that get the work done and stop and listen to there ideas and problems. this will help you with retention

Not impressed

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly the only pro I have is that the uniform prohibits and scandalous attire. I've had problems with that in the past. Another plus is that they are very well organized and have set ways for almost everything.

Cons

A lot of the challenges I encounter every day is that the upper management doesn't seem to care so much for the cashiers. The management is very clique like, as if they were in high school.

Make the cashiers feel more welcome when they get hired. I know the turn over rates are probably high but you should still be a human being to the employees

Former GM of Multiple Locations

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid weekly. You work with some great co-workers and guests. There are lots of opportunities for front line team members to become hourly supervisors. Fast paced, never dull.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations with hours given. And as earlier reviewers said, Regional Managers know it and hands are tied to fix it. Our Regional would have all GMs use a day off to go to another store once a month to get that store caught up. Only there would be no way to maintain it. The fact that only this year did they decide to conduct an associate opinion survey shows just how out of touch upper management is. We were given an Ipad to perform admin tasks on the floor instead of in the office and then they added a bunch of new admin tasks to the Ipad to keep you from managing your team/taking care of your guests. We were sold a bill of goods earlier this year when they eliminated all salaried co-managers (assistant GM's). We were told there would be a increase in weekly hours to offset the loss of the salaried manager but the hours stayed the same until they were decreased. I guess Jimmy decided he had to make back his $92MM fine all this year. And how Mitch Steenrod (CFO) still has his job is beyond comprehension; either he knew about the rebate scam and should have been terminated/imprisoned or was too incompetent to know about the rebate scam and should have been terminated. You can manage your store to the standards or to pass Internal Audit or stay off of whatever report on Ipad usage they want to look at that week. Pick where you want to fail.

You say you "hate lines," but you don't hate them enough to staff the stores properly. Do the math: If a store has Maintenance from 6a-12a (no overlap), that equals 1000 minutes after subtracting lunches/breaks. Clean a shower/laundry takes 7 minutes, so 100 showers/day = 300 minutes remaining. 30 minutes to fill all bug buckets for gas and diesel = 270. 80 minutes to empty all gas/diesel/back lot trash cans at least twice per day = 110 minutes remaining. Subtract 90 minutes for 5 minutes/hour cleaning the bathrooms/deli trash = 20 minutes to detail pumps/showers/mop floors/pressure wash/etc. Good luck with that. Make nice with your future cellmates.

loved the job... bad management

Former Employee - Cashier in Black River Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Black River Falls, WI

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun, exciting, meeting all kinds of new people. laid back depending on management.

Cons

can not keep management and depending on who is gm it is either hell or heaven.

find better permanent management

As a driver,its a good job. Best I've had since I first got my class A 15 yrs ago.

Current Employee - Fuel Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Fuel Driver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I do my job with no one bothering me. We are pretty laid back,although that could be different depending on what area you're working at and weather your lead driver is a cool guy.

Cons

I don't have many cons. I do pretty well. It's not perfect but pilot is better than most fuel company's. They are a little tight with their raises, that's my only con.

Nothing at this time. Wouldn't do any good anyway.

Awful

Current Employee - Management in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. Pay was good. Then it seems they wanted to pad the bottom line. However. If you are part time you can work whatever you want usually. You will be saving some poor underpaid managers day.

Cons

Everything. You are property. With zero opportunity to pay bills.

Be a leader in retail. PAY employees to work hard not hard work for little pay.

Demanding

I worked at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Enjoyed seeing a variety of people.

Cons

Upper management expected too much for too little pay.

Take an interest in the employees as much as you do the numbers

The work environment was terrible.

Former Employee - Cashier in Napoleon, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Napoleon, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was alright. Good pay on holidays and it was close to home. Got half off the price of my subway sandwiches. That's about it.

Cons

My schedule was all over the place and literally was changed last minute with out letting me know. I would get a call from my manager asking where I was and then I would have to rush into work. When I didn't get how to do something my manager would throw a fit and just do it herself so I would never get the chance to improve. The customers were rude for the most part and never really appreciated how much I actually did. I had to run the cash register while also making sure the food in the deli was fresh while keeping the store neat while doing laundry, cleaning the showers, the bathrooms, keeping the ice buckets full, restocking plus a million other things. One girl would call off every weekend and never got fired while I would call off once in a while for an emergency or ACTUALLY being sick and they wouldn't allow it. Just an overall horrible place to work. Didn't even deserve a 2 weeks notice,

Actually take the time to explain how things work instead of getting frustrated and just doing it yourself.