Pilot Flying J

Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam

Jimmy Haslam

Pros:
  • "A very fast-paced learning experience"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great People to work with, Bonus is nearly guaranteed"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The upper management takes a cattle approach to hiring managers"
    in 11 reviews
  • "long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was OK for a while

Coffee Host (Former Employee)

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat to work with customers.

ConsExpected to be way too pushy to upsell regular customers. Too much work expected of one person. No team work initiated. Since lawsuit company has got greedy and wants more work in less time and cuts hours all to save a buck and at the expense of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team work. too many managers and supervisors and shift leaders and not enough regular workers.

not a bad place to work.

Deli Production (Former Employee)

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time

Prosfun place to work, enjoyed my job duties, fun to meet interesting people!

Consnot consistent with hours, expectations of employees a bit high

Ok

Guest Service Manager (Former Employee)
Kearney, MO

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time for more than a year

ProsWork/Life. I always got the time off I needed, but your store has to be running will for this to happen.

ConsPay, Customers. Pay was not on point. I could work at QT at a night manager and not have to worry about restrooms being blown up every 15 mins, or cleaning showers and doing laundry, or the 2 acre lot that truckers demolish with trash all day long disregarding the 30 trash cans, 3 dumpsters.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey expect high standards, but there is not enough help. Yea you might hear that a lot, but I am a hard worker who always has a sense of urgency. I can't be running around all day long and expect my employees who get paid 9$ to do the same.

A great career choice.

Travel Center General Manager (Current Employee)
Marion, IL

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPilot Flying J expects hard work and reliability from each team member and in return offers good benefits, free health programs and descent pay. There is never a dull moment in the day to day activities in a travel center.

ConsSome customers are difficult but everything else is what you make of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood corporate mgmt.

view changing

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Prosgood way to meet people

Conspromotions never happen they just want you to do the job without giving you the pay. no set scheduled you go day by day

Worked to the bone and over qualified

Retail Cashier (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time for more than a year

Prosit's a job and you get paid. but to deal with everything that you have to, and management shows no sign of advancement, you as an employee then don't want to work at the place anymore.

Consschedule never out in time, changes made to schedule without employees assent, low pay, stand on feet all day, managers not very friendly, have to ask for a raise, never given to acknowledge good work, etc...

Advice to Senior Managementgive more incentives and acknowledgement of a job well done.

It was rewarding, educational and enlightening.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Eloy, AZ

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI got paired with an excellent crew that made working fun. Most of the people on my team were motivated to accomplish more than the minimum. The management encouraged friendly competition when pushing two-fers and valued personality, accountability, and integrity.

ConsCustomers were occasionally jerks, but nearly all of the drivers were good-natured, friendly people making a living.

Ok for insurance

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time

ProsI work there for the Insurance. day goes by fast. lots of inter person interaction. never a dull moment.

Conspoor leadership. difficult customers at times makes things frustrating. the language barrier is sometimes the most frustrating issue to have with foreign customers

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some serious managers involved

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pilot Flying J

ProsEnjoyed the job and the challenge

ConsLocation, Can be very difficult in extreme weather

Hypocritical Managers

Hardworking Former Employee (Former Employee)
Quartzsite, AZ

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time for more than a year

ProsGetting to meet a lot of people from all over the country, love the hours for my position and that Full-time is 30+ hrs instead of 40 hrs like most companies.

ConsWhen having a problem (most of the time a continuous problem) and you discuss it with the GM, he doesn't seem too care!! All he says is lets move on and he also makes excuses. Don't get my breaks on time or sometimes at all!!!! The 2nd in charge continuously talks about EVERYONE to other employees except for the employee she is talking about. The hotdogs on the grill are usually past the 4 hours they are suppose to be on the grill (ex: suppose to be pulled @ midnight but @ 2:30 am they are still on the grill). The coffee area is always dirty except for when the COFFEE HOSTESS is working. I was sick 2 times in the year I worked for PFJ but yet the 2nd in charge had a problem with me being out sick ......talking about me too 3 of my co-workers and 2 regular customers about how I called off sick!!!!! Yet I called off sick 4 hours prior too my shift. Certain employees receive special treatments(not having to clean showers, not having to clean bathrooms, do laundry, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees better because they are in the stores more than you are. Hire GM's that truly are looking out for the best interest of the company.....customer service oriented NOT money motivated!!!!

Worked for Pilot Flying J? Contribute to the Community!

Pilot Flying J Videos

Pilot Flying J – Why Work for Us?

Pilot Flying J is committed to making life better for Professional drivers. Pilot Flying J has over 650 retail locations and is the largest operator of travel centers and travel plazas in North America. With over… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pilot Flying J reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Pilot Flying J employees.