Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
2.5

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Get to talk to people all day, fast paced at times, good first job (in 16 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is good and most co-workers are friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management expected too much for too little pay (in 16 reviews)

• long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Have to be a company man to succeed

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Working with and helping all types of people from through out the U.S.

Cons

Weird schedules and long shifts

Add more help and hours to the stores

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and compensation package

Cons

Increasing demands while eliminating the tools necessary to achieve goals. There is a lack of knowledge/communication by above store management.

Lack of leadership

Former Employee - Co Manager in North Lima, OH
    Former Employee - Co Manager in North Lima, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is nice talking to your regular customers, but thats about the only pro.

Cons

Above store level management is about as incompetent as they come. Micromanagement is extreme in this company. They do not allow the managers of the store to staff the store properly, forcing everyone there to take on more tasks than there is time for, then they yell at you when everything isnt done. They force you to run out of product to use and sell to keep costs down. They really dont care about their customers or workers at all, just about the money. As a manager you will work at least 60-70 hours a week or more, they do not care about your family.

Ask your store level managers how things are really going. Loosen up the belt and allow them to staff properly, and order their product properly and maybe the customer wont hate you so much. Learn how to promote the correct people to management positions, instead of your favorites.

Restaurant work OKAY, Store side probably better

Current Employee - Cashier in Cordele, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cordele, GA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pilot Flying J is a large corporation that takes wages, hours, and business operation seriously . Although they are primarily a minimum wage corporation, at least for the restaurant in Pilot Flying J for which I work, I hear cashiers for the store side are paid better. It's probably nicer and less stressful over on the store side as well, although you have a constant influx of customers. My experience must not be much different from a stand-alone restaurant, although there is the occasional interaction between us on the restaurant side and those on the store side. Overall, it is a job, and there are much worse places to work.

Cons

They are heavy on suggestive selling, making it feel like you've always got to pester every customer for every penny, instead of allowing you to really focus on the one true thing that matters - SERVING THE CUSTOMER! The one thing about Pilot is that they are money-Mizars; you will not ever get overtime, and there have been many occasions we just did not have enough employees to handle business.

Be a leader in charisma, positivity, effort, discipline, cleanliness, pride yet humility, chivalry, upkeep, and leadership.

Fast paced and never boring

Current Employee - RGM in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - RGM in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement. Company rewards achievement and gas an awesome bonus program

Cons

Typical retail challenges but nothing that can't be overcome with a little creativity and hard work

Good when I started

Former Employee - Co Manager in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonuses, Co workers, Meeting New people

Cons

As my time there went on, i realized the fast service was not true. They don't like lines but give you enough cashiers, 1, so you are continuously stopping managing the place so you can wait on customers. You are required to work 10 hour days as salary position. No problem. But after cashiering for 10 of those, now you need to get the manager part done when you should be going home.

Stop being so damn greedy. Our store was making money hand over fist yet we were always short staffed. You burned me out.

no opportunity

Current Employee - Maintenance in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Salina, KS

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the flying J where I work there is no pros oh wait just this out of every employee that is there only 5 really do there work

Cons

the head manager is lazy, he have his favorites pets he will not give you a promotion unless you are a woman and white...He will not get rid of his lazy staff that do not do their work but take credit for other peoples work

find a new manager

Demeaning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, UT

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers for the most part are great to work with. It's nice to have regular customers who just come in to visit on a daily basis.

Cons

Management hiring practices are a joke, we keep getting employees who aren't qualified to use the equipment necessary for their jobs, or people who don't even want to work. Instead of getting told about the good job you are doing, you are talked down to in a demeaning manner when you were unable to get something done or made a mistake. Raises are a myth.

Learn some people skills!! Also, learn how to schedule people when you need them, it makes it difficult for all necessary work to get done when you're constantly having to complete jobs from prior shifts. Take some time before hiring the 1st person who applies, make sure they really want to be there and want to work and not just get a check for doing nothing. Learn to listen to your managers and not blame every issue that comes up as a "coaching problem."

Disastrous store

I worked at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Weekly pay and occasional bonuses based on mystery shops fast paced friendships and customer base for the most part is nice

Cons

Upper Management cares nothing about the lower managers and how their lives are affected by the job long hours never get any holidays off only higher mgmt does

Quit being vindictive and start appreciating your lower management who are the ones that run your stores!

Not worth it..run away..

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Circleville, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Circleville, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It came with a pay check.

Cons

Long hours low pay. Disconnect between corporate and operations. You could be asked to transfer to a different state with no consideration of a salary increase or even help covering moving expenses. The promise of running your own store is a load of bull.