Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
2.5

Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Fast paced job, lots of personalities, you'll something new everyday (in 17 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is good and most co-workers are friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The management skills of the upper management was lacking in different things (in 17 reviews)

• long hours, unappreciative upper management, penny pinching to the max (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

no opportunity

Current Employee - Maintenance in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Salina, KS

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the flying J where I work there is no pros oh wait just this out of every employee that is there only 5 really do there work

Cons

the head manager is lazy, he have his favorites pets he will not give you a promotion unless you are a woman and white...He will not get rid of his lazy staff that do not do their work but take credit for other peoples work

find a new manager

Demeaning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, UT

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers for the most part are great to work with. It's nice to have regular customers who just come in to visit on a daily basis.

Cons

Management hiring practices are a joke, we keep getting employees who aren't qualified to use the equipment necessary for their jobs, or people who don't even want to work. Instead of getting told about the good job you are doing, you are talked down to in a demeaning manner when you were unable to get something done or made a mistake. Raises are a myth.

Learn some people skills!! Also, learn how to schedule people when you need them, it makes it difficult for all necessary work to get done when you're constantly having to complete jobs from prior shifts. Take some time before hiring the 1st person who applies, make sure they really want to be there and want to work and not just get a check for doing nothing. Learn to listen to your managers and not blame every issue that comes up as a "coaching problem."

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and compensation package

Cons

Increasing demands while eliminating the tools necessary to achieve goals. There is a lack of knowledge/communication by above store management.

Lack of leadership

Former Employee - Co Manager in North Lima, OH
    Former Employee - Co Manager in North Lima, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is nice talking to your regular customers, but thats about the only pro.

Cons

Above store level management is about as incompetent as they come. Micromanagement is extreme in this company. They do not allow the managers of the store to staff the store properly, forcing everyone there to take on more tasks than there is time for, then they yell at you when everything isnt done. They force you to run out of product to use and sell to keep costs down. They really dont care about their customers or workers at all, just about the money. As a manager you will work at least 60-70 hours a week or more, they do not care about your family.

Ask your store level managers how things are really going. Loosen up the belt and allow them to staff properly, and order their product properly and maybe the customer wont hate you so much. Learn how to promote the correct people to management positions, instead of your favorites.

Hours

Current Employee - Retail Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are friendly and amazing, they make you fill so welcome and like a bestfriend would, seriously.

Cons

The hours, its based on performance, i did a great job forgot to box my cooking one night i went from having 25 to 40 hours to having 12 to 17 you can make a living of that, plus it one mistake!

Change your hiring manager because the person that comes in before me is horrible at working!

Eye opening

Current Employee - Guest Service Leader 3 in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Leader 3 in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Insurance, good Co workers. That's about all the pros for this place.

Cons

I have been at pilot for 2 years and was promised a promotion that got handed to a male who had only been there for 6 months at the time I just don't get how this is fair. I work my tail off and have from the beginning to prove my worth and it gets handed to a male because he is male not to mention the fact younger and doesn't even do his job correctly and has been in trouble for hitting on cashiers...

Just because we are women, doesn't mean we can't do the job better if not greater than a man... treat your women employees just as equal.

Welcome to the Boys Club

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most if all weekends off as the GM due to the bulk of your business being during the week. The company really wants you to impact sales and service during those times. Training is ok, could be better and the perks for performance are great. I had an awesome year financially

Cons

Work life balance does not exist for employees in general. The company runs 11.5% labor maxtrix to sales and you will find yourself lacking hours to accomplish certain jobs. This brings morale down. There's not enough HR support for regionals so they do what they want and there's no support between their direction and you reporting abuse. reason why im leaving soon

My advice is stop having multiple AGMT in the field to support growth and put more effort into lower management. Also put more HR resources to support the regionals and boost employee morale that there is a level of protection for them and they wont be a victim to favoritism.

Good when I started

Former Employee - Co Manager in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonuses, Co workers, Meeting New people

Cons

As my time there went on, i realized the fast service was not true. They don't like lines but give you enough cashiers, 1, so you are continuously stopping managing the place so you can wait on customers. You are required to work 10 hour days as salary position. No problem. But after cashiering for 10 of those, now you need to get the manager part done when you should be going home.

Stop being so damn greedy. Our store was making money hand over fist yet we were always short staffed. You burned me out.

Disastrous store

I worked at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Weekly pay and occasional bonuses based on mystery shops fast paced friendships and customer base for the most part is nice

Cons

Upper Management cares nothing about the lower managers and how their lives are affected by the job long hours never get any holidays off only higher mgmt does

Quit being vindictive and start appreciating your lower management who are the ones that run your stores!

Awesome

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking, down to earth culture.

Cons

Some people don't want to succeed.

Continue to focus on delivering a great guest experience.