Pima Medical Institute

5.0

Pima Medical Institute CEO Richard Luebke, Jr
Richard Luebke, Jr

1. Featured Review

SERIOUSLY, THE BEST PLACE YOU COULD EVER WORK FOR.

Current Employee - MCS
    Current Employee - MCS

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is probably one of the last few, truly HONEST companies in existence. They are as transparent as they are fair and there is no micro-managing of any sort here. They choose to hire the best in the business that actually want to be here, not just for a check. Pima is one of the few companies I've worked for that I really believe in. I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone after being here for a year now.

Cons

The only true con here is that it gets extremely busy sometimes. You may find yourself doing the work of two or three people, but believe me -- you will be appreciated.

Keep doing a stellar job and as usual, don't deviate from the Pima culture!

Medical Career Specialist

Current Employee - Career Services Advisor in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Career Services Advisor in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee owned and student focused company which allows for plenty of growth and opportunity as an employee. I go home every night feeling good about what we do, what I do and how I can make the lives' of students better. I like working at the "place to be." Everyone is happy to be here and proud of what we do to in education and job placement of our graduates.

Cons

Staying up-to-date on current Healthcare restructuring is always a challenge but not one that I would call a "con" of working here. I feel proud to know that Pima does all that it can to ensure that the education we provide is current and in-demand for our students and our community. This requires hard work behind the scenes and involving. But, again, not a real "con."

I hope that our upper management will continue to be in touch with our local level events and community outreach projects that go on year round at the campus level. I have always felt that our upper management encourages the local campuses to go out and help out at every opportunity. I hope this never changes.

Lots of cons, not enough pros; if you can make it work, go for it, otherwise you might want to reconsider.

I worked at Pima Medical Institute

Pros

Corporate management is incredibly friendly, and some of my co-workers were the best people I've ever met. The perks are nice, especially ESOP; however, as any employee happiness study ever has shown, that can only go so far...

Cons

Unfortunately, Pima suffers from a lack of organization, primarily on the campus level, stemming from an unqualified middle management. Institutional and accreditation policies receive emphasis, but are rarely enforced. Certain employees can skate by for years, decades even, without adhering to rules and regulations that are supposedly "mandatory." In the simplest terms, while working for Pima, it is very hard to know what you're supposed to be doing, why you're doing it, and who you can ask for clarification. Interdepartmental communication is below average, at best, and communication within one department is arguably not much better. Employees essentially run around with their own goals and their own way of doing things, never considering the possibility that working within the rules, as one unified organization, while initially more challenging, will ultimately result in greater efficiency, higher productivity, and better long-term outcomes.

Throw this all together, and you're left with employees who are generally unhappy, and a campus morale that is as low as it gets. Paradoxically, this low morale actually tends to build very strong levels of camaraderie amongst downtrodden employees, camaraderie that usually extends to lasting friendships beyond the workplace. However, I would hardly call this an equitable trade-off.

If you're the type of person who enjoys creative problem solving and working within a team, I suggest you look elsewhere. Conversely, if words like innovation and efficiency are as foreign to you as multivariable calculus, then I think you'll fit right in. (Also, if multivariable calculus is not foreign to you, I still suggest you look elsewhere.)

Invest more resources into the hiring process. Find good, qualified people who want to excel, not just the ones who are looking for a paycheck. I know it's hard, maybe even impossible to hire the best possible people, but even a little improvement will go a long way.

Emphasize the importance of each employee and department operating under the same policies (see above for explanation).

Feb 12, 2015COO

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns. You are correct in pointing out that compensation and benefits only go so far, and employee happiness stems beyond those areas. We take great ... More

Pima Medical Institute is an outstanding company to work for in every sense.

Current Employee - Program Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have never worked for a company that cares so much about employees. I genuinely feel blessed to be a part of such a honorable company. I have felt this way since shortly after being hired. Everyone is very helpful on our campus and on the corporate level. I always feel supported and valued. I also must mention that we are blessed to have the most caring and supportive Campus Director here in Houston. Phil is an extraordinary leader who has always been willing to offer guidance and direction when I have needed it. One thing that I especially value about PMI is that there is no cutting corners or sweeping things under the rug. I love that I work for a company with integrity that is genuinely honest and truly strives to meet and exceed the expectations of accrediting associations and comply with regulatory bodies. I plan to continue working for PMI until retirement as a proud employee who is honored to be a part of such an outstanding group of individuals.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints about the company.

Continue doing what you have been doing for years. :-)

Jan 14, 2015Corp Recruiter

Great review! Thank you for sharing from the heart. It's great to read all of the wonderful comments about your campus, the leadership and the organization as a whole.

An Amazing Privilege!

Current Employee - Medical Career Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Career Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work with PMI for 9 years in an admissions capacity. I can honestly say that I look forward to coming to work everyday. One reason for that is that I truly enjoy the people I work with but mainly it is the fact that people who come to us for training are never disappointed. They actually get what I tell them they can count on us to get...a new career in a well respected sector of the community. I have the privilege of watching these student become better versions of themselves and soaring to heights they never thought possible. Having worked for other vocational schools, I can tell you that Pima is like no other organization I have ever been associated with. I have never felt pressured to enroll students that were not ready to take on a training program in order to satisfy the "bottom line". That in itself is amazingly refreshing and I'm sure has more than a little to do with why our students are as successful as they are. I hope to retire (one day) from Pima Medical Institute. If you have the opportunity to join our very special team, don't think twice about it. You will never be sorry.

Cons

I can't really think of anything.

Please keep up the good work and please continue to treat our students and staff with the generosity and respect we are so grateful for. Thank you!

Jan 14, 2015Corp Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It never gets old to read such positive feedback about our organization. I would agree with your comments, and share the same feelings toward coming to "work" every day ... More

Seattle Faculty Member

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very fair with regard to employment expectations, salary and benefits. The culture couldn't be more motivating.

Cons

If there are any negatives, I would say that upward mobility is sometimes limited to relocation. If willing to relocate, opportunities seem to be there.

Jan 14, 2015Corp Recruiter

We try to be as competitive as possible with our salaries and benefits. Thank you for acknowledging that. With regards to upward mobility, we are a very lean organization and there are not a lot ... More

Family Owned Technical School - Good benefits, overall a nice place to work

Former Employee - Instructor in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Pima Medical Institute part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and love the students!

Cons

Family owned so there are some issues with favoritism.

Let your instructors do what they do best and think about having them review management.

Been there 1 1/2 years - great career move - company genuinely works to do the right thing.

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong ethics, humble company that works hard to do right by students and employees

Cons

No company is perfect, so it has its challenges like anyone else

Jun 25, 2014Corp Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are so glad that you are enjoying PMI. We take great pride in our family values that support and enhance the lives of our students and employees.

Excellent Company with a Family Culture

Current Employee - Instructor in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Instructor in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an instructor we are given the autonomy to design our lesson plans as we see fit with a lot of encouragement from everyone. Very upbeat, positive people at all levels.

Cons

Equipment access was a bit hit or miss but has gotten better.

Open up the ESOP to part time employees. There are quite a few of us and we do contribute to the success of the company.

Jun 25, 2014Corp Recruiter

Thank you for writing a review. I was very happy to read your positive feedback. With regards to the ESOP, the plan is open to part time employees. However, you must work at least 1000 hours ... More

Company owners are concerned about their employees and students and do a great job sharing the wealth.

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a Christian, family orientated business. Christian values are accepted and encouraged. Everyone who works there is not a Christian but the owners would be happy to have as many Christians as they could get employed in the company. This is worth a lot in this day and age! The kindness and concern the owners of the company have for all their people both students and employees as well as the community is so impressive it inspires loyalty and pride in those involved with them. This is rare in business today and this makes Pima stand head and shoulders above to rest!
    I think anyone would have a difficult time finding a company as good as this to invest their working life into.

Cons

Not more than any other business has. Just the daily struggle of trying to balance all the challenges of trying to keep all the people happy all the time. As a for profit school they must keep an eye on the bottom line or there would be no school.

It would be nice if all employees could take part in yearly department meetings to feel more connected and important in the processes of their departments. Overall the company is mostly management orientated. The company may benefit from giving the "little guy/workers in the trenches" a louder voice. Beneficial ideas can come from anyone.

Pima Medical Institute Photos