Pinch Food Design

Updated October 26, 2014
Updated October 26, 2014
4.0

CEO

Pinch Food Design is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Pinch Food Design as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

After graduating college on the west coast, I moved to New York City without knowing a single person. I knew I wanted to start a career in the event/catering/design industry, but without any contacts I wasn't sure where to begin. After doing extensive research on “The Best Places To Work In NYC” and “The Most Creative NYC Companies” I was introduced to Pinch Food Design. Articles in The New York Times, The Huffington Post, and The New York Post sang the praises of this innovative and unique food design company - and I knew I had to be a part of it. Soon after (and still to my amazement!), I interviewed and landed a position at Pinch. From the moment I walked in the door, I knew I had found something special. From Day One, I could tell that this was more than just a place people came to punch in their time sheets – it is a place people came to do what they loved. I had never been – and certainly never worked – in a place that is literally buzzing with energy and creativity and imagination. How many people can say that about their office?

Pinch is a family. They work hard and play hard together and they take care of their own. Often, this family-dynamic in the workplace can make it hard for a new employee to feel included, but this wasn’t the case at Pinch. Everyone was very welcoming when I joined the team. This is an extremely fast-paced industry and yet, everyone still took the time to learn my name, ask me how I was doing, and offer to show me the ropes. Little things like this go such a long way and really made me feel like I was more than just an employee.

I learned something new every single day at Pinch. My supervisor always made time to talk to me about my work, to answer my (endless!) questions, and to have open and honest conversations with me about my progress and areas for growth. She wasn’t afraid to throw big projects my way and frequently gave me assignments that came with considerable responsibility. I never thought my time was being wasted. I always felt that I had a purpose at Pinch, and despite being the newest employee, I still felt that I was contributing something important.

One of the most valuable things I learned at Pinch was the true definition of “going above and beyond”. It didn’t matter if there were 5 requests for catering proposals on her desk or 50, my supervisor and her team put incredible thought, care, time, and effort into tailoring every single proposal that came their way. Pinch refuses to settle for ‘good enough’ and will always go the extra mile to create something truly extraordinary. As someone new to the industry, this was such an important lesson for me to learn early on. Pinch reinforced the importance of really listening to your client, of a strong work ethic, and showed me the countless benefits of taking those five extra minutes to make sure the job was not only done right, but that the job was done well.

Whether you are a job-seeker or a potential client, I couldn’t possibly recommend Pinch Food Design more highly. They are a dedicated, hardworking, and incredibly innovative team, and I guarantee you won’t find anything like them anywhere else – no matter how hard you look.

Cons

If you’re looking for a low-key day job, be warned: This is an extremely fast-paced work environment, and Pinch isn’t afraid to throw a lot on your plate right away. They are the best at what they do, so naturally their standards are high. But come on. Is that really such a bad thing? ;)

Continue to take chances by bringing on interns and freelancers! When I interviewed at Pinch, I had little experience to back me up but what I did have was a ton of passion. I wanted to be there more than anything, and I believe they saw this excitement in me and decided to give me a chance. Giving me that chance truly changed my life. I will always be thankful to Pinch for the experiences and opportunities I have had because of this job, and for giving me my start in New York City.

Exciting internship, with the opportunity to learn and have growth in your career!

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Pinch Food Design as an intern

Pros

Interning at Pinch Food Design ignited a light at the end of a tunnel, when I was deep into the process of searching for a career. I was welcomed with open arms, making me feel like I was immediately a part of the team. My supervisor has been such a joy and wonderful teacher. I was given the responsibilities of proposal writing, which was thoroughly taught to me. This led me to learn more about our high profile clientele, and the program Pinch uses for all of the events they are a part of. It has been amazing to see and experience all of the meticulous details that go into planning every aspect of events and parties that Pinch takes part in.

The staff is supportive in the growth of their interns, both internally at Pinch and externally with their own endeavors. My supervisor has been especially helpful with the growth of my career, and wanting the best for me. Pinch has a very hard-working team, who will go through great lengths to get their job done, and do it well. Clients are always pleased, and often come back to PInch for more fun parties with delicious food and drinks.

It has been a very positive experience for me, and I am thankful I have had the opportunity to learn more about event catering and planning. I am also grateful for meeting and working with so many talented staff members, who really care about their job and their clients.

Cons

There are not many cons that I can say about interning for Pinch. My only wish is that I was able to attend more of the actual events that Pinch caters, so that I can see and experience how on site work is executed. My passion is for events, and the run of show. I am sure that if I approached my supervisor about this, there would be more opportunities for me to attend events, where I could fully embrace Pinch Food Design and see firsthand how all of the behind the scenes work comes to life.

A lot of political in workplace - Not friendly and not welcoming - i didn't learn anything and regret coming here.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Pinch Food Design as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

have a lot potential to get to work with exceptional clients
    the job itself are really really fun and really interested.

Cons

A lot of silence political in the office. you have to kiss the right people behind to go far.
    treat people in the same position vastly differences.
    I was stressed so badly and thinking about it gave me a nightmare.

treat interns equally- otherwise just hire one not two.
    I was intern here for few weeks- to tell the truth, I was beyond excited and really looking forward to intern here.
    they hired me and the other girl and basically she got to do a lot of projects and get really hand on and feedbacks
    while I was basically just sat there with nothing to do. They have me hang uniforms , go shopping, go pick up stuffs ,help packing, organize boxes- mostly labor jobs and I am totally fine with that.

but it is kind of sad that the other girl doesn't have to do any of those labor jobs they had me do she get to work on really projects and proposals for clients.
    I thought maybe It will get better, maybe they will eventually gave me more things to do that its really worth my time coming in not just folding uniform and go to supermarket but 2 weeks passes and still the same.

I was upset with myself for not be able to get to do things i wanted to like the other intern got to do.
    but I was never offered any chances- I heard one of the employees asked the other intern to come help during event on weekend and I was really want to but no one asked me. I was reading books and researches so much about cuisine and wine pairing and event planing thinking I would get to work with event proposals but as times goes by, I realize they never gonna let me do that. while the other intern got to do all those and got a lot mentoring from her supervisor.

I felt totally left out- i always get to leave early right after i finished folding uniform and go shopping or organize shelves.
    I don't need for you to buy me lunch but it would be nice if you ask me if i want to go get lunch together not just left me in the office by myself while go get your lunch and came back and asked me.

so, i finally decided to quit internship which i would never do but for me to travel there to fold uniforms and go carrying groceries in high heels while ther other intern doesn't have to do those .

it just upsetting..

please treat everyone equally- i devoted my time for you at least teach me something.
    i can carry 100 boxes if at the end of the day you need me to do that.

not that you just try to find some random unimportant assignment for me to do.
    it's absurd that it seems like there's nothing for me to do while the other girls have to stay until 5pm

if you think i can't help you with anything

you could just let me go so I can go intern somewhere else where they at least need me there.

Exciting Young Company with Great Potential for Growth

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Pinch Food Design as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The owners and staff are young and motivated. The small office consists of a diverse group of very interesting people. It's a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, with great passion for process and product. They have a really unique spin on what they're doing in catering.

Cons

Pinch is a young company, so there are a few kinks to work out. The office works well together in tackling issues as they come up, so it would be a great place for any natural problem-solver and good team players.