Ping Identity

Andre Durand

Strong Brand, Performance, and Working Environment

Former Employee - Support
    Former Employee - Support

I worked at Ping Identity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was at Ping for over 3 years and left towards the middle of last year. If you don't want to work, don't come to Ping as it's right towards the end of a transition from late stage startup to profitable company. Benefits/Pay is very good, especially for Denver

Cons

It's just consitent change. Some folks are not comfortable with wearing many hats at one time

I would focus a little more on employees personal development instead of just company performance. Both should be possible

Still a good company, but gone downhill in the last year.

I have been working at Ping Identity full-time

Pros

Low level managers truly care about you as an individual; weekly checkins aren't just "what have you done" but "Is there anything I can do for you?" Work from home twice a week is phenomenal. The office space is open; people are friendly. PingFederate is a great piece of technology, and the company is still small enough to allow flexibility in your job role and explore other areas you're interested in.

Cons

In some departments, as per startup style, there has been no compensation scale/set range per role - resulting in vastly unequal salaries for equivalent work. This, it's worth mentioning, I believe they have recently recognized and are claiming to adjust, though I haven't seen it. Several perks have been revoked as higher level management experiences growing pains. Because of the recent retooling, the general attitude of the company has gone from a friendly excited air to a more serious corporate; it's still much, much better than large corporations, but it's no longer an energizing place to work.

Reprioritize where money is spent; instead of retooling and revoking perks, perhaps consider just having more realistic expectations for employees.

Despite challenges in 2014, on solid ground for 2015

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ping Identity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding products key to dominating market.
    Financial position seems to have stabilized after some changes in 2014, including staff cuts.
    Engineering excellence at Ping is a reality. You won't find a more capable group anywhere -- excepting perhaps the folks at Google!

Some of the negative reviews on the site here really come off sounding like sour grapes. For instance, one recent reviewer lamented the apparent pervasive youth at Ping. Granted, there are indeed lots of younger employees, but I am over 40 and this has never been an issue for me. Additionally, I never, ever attend the equally pervasive happy hour, and in fact do not drink at all. This has never impacted my career at Ping.

2014 was a challenging year, and was not without mistakes. It seems apparent to me, though, that Ping is on the correct footing now and is poised to succeed. My advice to anyone considering a job here is to seize the opportunity. This is the best job I've ever had.

Bottom line, the future is full of potential and Ping is well poised to deliver success!

Cons

Some mistakes made by leadership in 2014, which required significant staff cuts to rectify.
    Communication about people being let go often does not take place. Rather, it is hidden (which achieves the opposite of what HR is likely trying to achieve).

Continue to encourage life balance, even as a sharp eye is kept on costs. Discourage secrecy surrounding staffing changes, and foster openness to maintain trust in leadership.

Yikes

I worked at Ping Identity

Pros

Benefits are awesome. Great CEO. Product is exceptional and company leads the marketplace. Positioned for success with amazing reviews from industry leaders.

Cons

Management is failing to execute on a plan to take the company to the next level. Disappointing, as it could be an amazing place to work. Too much in fighting and politics makes it a very uneasy place to be.

Clique mentality among the posse of people ops workerbees who run the office like a scene straight out of Mean Girls.

Stop fighting. Pick a focus and execute. Don't let yourselves down by letting power struggles get in the way of success.

Tanking

I worked at Ping Identity

Pros

Good benefits, work from home allowed

Cons

Incompetent middle management in all departments is bringing the company to its knees

Company catching up - boasts hiring 3% top and does layoffs

Former Contractor - Contractor in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ping Identity as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Company has been in business for long time with CEO doing a great job.

Cons

Company boasts hiring 3% top but the only one who survive is thru employee referrals. Its not google or apple but spends a lot on unnecessary things. Feedbacks are none. Either the recruiters or the people who are interviewing are doing a bad job when they hire. It doesn't matter whether you deliver on time, if they want to let you go, your manager/lead will find some BS reasons and all the positive reviews from internal employees - take it with a grain of salt. Look for good reviews who left.

Bring Back the Old Ping!!!!!

I have been working at Ping Identity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Let me preface this review by saying I enjoy my employment at Ping for the most part, though some things stink. Some of the recent reviews do, in fact, sound a little angrier than what is reality, but some are fair assessments.

* The company is full of intelligent people who are very good at what they do.
    * The CEO is a bright guy with vision and true passion for people, which is rare!

Cons

The culture, in the last 18 months or so has completely changed, but rather than spending the time to truly put the pieces back together and rebuild what it once was (lets call it “Past Ping”), management is building something different - a high functioning team (we can call this “New Ping”). New Ping is dominated by finance and carefully monitored by operations. At New Ping, though almost every employee is well equipped to work remotely, operations needs your physical presence in a sea of cubicles. Employees of Past Ping were trusted to perform the jobs they were hired to do. Past Ping entered mutually beneficial partnerships with their customers and sales people were able to sell flexible solutions that brought value to their customer’s business and to our organization. New Ping will have none of that! Finance changes pricing and licensing parameters like underwear to squeeze every penny and advantage they can out of customers. I get it, we’re a for profit business looking to make moves, but slow down. Past Ping had a handle on how to get the job done with what they had. New Ping did a massive on-boarding in the Spring on 2014, to then do a massive layoff in the summer - ummmm???

Either the New Ping of Past Ping offer any sort of streamlined career development. Management talks about it to check the box, but there are very few promotions or fostering of career growth.

Stop trying to fix things that are not broken. All in all, because of these culture changes, 80% of us are doing a job under circumstances we didn't sign up for - whether that is wearing multiple hats, changing departments to backfill, accepting a demotion or commuting to an office simply to fill a cubicle. A lot of people still enjoy being here because they loved “Past Ping” and live in denial that it is gone. We will definitely experience turnover once they realize “New Ping” is here to stay.

Great CEO, good technology, management mistakes.

I worked at Ping Identity (more than a year)

Pros

Andre is a visionary leader, with an impressive ability to connect with his people. PingFederate was, and continues to be a very solid impressive piece of technology.

Cons

From the day I joined, it was a apparent that the level of polish of the internal systems at Ping was't to the level that I have been accustomed to, even at younger, smaller companies. Management was relatively inexperienced, and this has unfortunately led to the recent retooling at ping.

Started great. Company tanking. Very young company lacking experience. Time to bail and work with grown ups again.

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Ping Identity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The CEO is a visionary, but seems to be losing his grip on the company. The CFO seems to be running the show now. The CEO is the biggest asset to Ping.

The compensation is good. Benefits are outstanding. Flexible PTO (as in, no limit on the time off). Generous health benefits. A paid sabbatical after 9 years with company.

Nice office with beer on tap and a ton of free food and MacBooks for all!

If you are young, this company tends to hire unproven talent with potential. Youth is definitely an asset at Ping.

Cons

No communication about what people actually care about. People tend to disappear and you don't know if they quit, were fired, or died. It leaves people questioning their value to the company or if they are "next." There was a massive layoff in July. The entire process was very mismanaged and poorly communicated.

Zero training or ramp up process to prepare people for success in their jobs. No certification process. An employee can be told they are doing well and meeting objectives, but without a measurable outcome during a ramp up process, there is no objective way to assess an individual's job readiness. Too much is left to subjective opinions from coworkers. In my instance, I worked with a group who thought I was an excellent asset for my first 8 months on the job. I was switched to another group who couldn't point out anything specific about my performance that was inadequate, but just didn't like working with me. My manager avoids conflict at all costs, didn't back me up, and I was told that my "internal brand" was damaged because these kids were made to feel that they didn't have to work to get along with everyone who works with them, even when they have no common ground. All of the effort to work cooperatively was one sided. I was offered a chance to find a new job. I had a pile of offers quickly, and learned that I wanted to work for a company that respects experience over a perfect happy hour attendance record.

The kids are running the show. Youth is valued over experience. I don't consider myself old by any stretch of the imagination (nor do I look or act it), but my experience was very much devalued by the kids who have found themselves in positions beyond their experience. Their cliquish mentality is pervasive. With so many people coming from employee referrals, one bad perception spreads like wildfire among people who have extensive personal ties outside of work.

Extremely inexperienced HR staff. It feels as if they are making things up as they go along.

Agree with another reviewer who said there is somewhat of a cultish feeling there. Not a place for people with families and after work commitments to their children, as there are frequent impromptu company-sponsored happy hours. Failure to attend these is perceived as not fitting in with the culture. In reality, people who are no longer in their 20s might rather be with their kids and family than drinking on a Tuesday night on an hour's notice. Even more, an email sent at 3 PM stating that the gathering starts in an hour is impractical for people with responsibilities after 5 PM. If the intent is to be inclusive, the culture should consider all employees who work for the company and provide some kind of forewarning. Spontaneity is awesome, but impractical for grown ups.

A lot of money wasted on ridiculous things. It's nice to have a fridge stocked with free coconut water, beer on tap, and kind bars, and million dollar kick off parties at the Broadmoor with a no expense spared attitude...but that kind of luxury should be reserved for profitable companies. These kinds of things are going away, though, as Ping grows up a little and now that the CFO is running the company. I'd rather have a good, stable job at a growing company where I am paid fairly for my work than company sponsored blow outs and free coconut water and beer.

Extremely few women in technical roles. There is one very prominent woman in the CTO office, but about two in the rank and file positions (out of about 80). There is a one size fits all approach to what makes a good engineer at this company, and diversity is seriously lacking. The women at Ping generally work for HR and Marketing rather than in highly technical roles.

Put certification programs in place for crucial roles. The "well we just had to figure it out on our own" attitude is not a sustainable model for a maturing company.

Hire actual managers to manage people. Promoting a good individual contributor does not mean that they will be good managers. I had exactly 3 face to face conversations with my manager in a year and he basically was uncomfortable talking to people. I only heard good things about my performance up until the moment I was told that I wasn't fitting in.

Quit trying to be a "cool" company and focus on being a profitable company where your employees may not want to have a beer with you, but they will work their butts off to make you succeed.

Frustrating experience

Former Employee - RSA
    Former Employee - RSA

I worked at Ping Identity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay were very competitive

Cons

Lousy on-boarding process, felt a little cultish.