Pinger Reviews

Greg Woock

Great place for internship

Former Employee - Product Manager Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Pinger as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- As a product intern, you are tasked with assignments that can influence product strategies; you are also able to choose your preferred project.
    - Feedbacks are very constructive and honest. They really want you to improve.
    - Your mentors are very seasoned PMs, so you can learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

- Managers could have been more clear when giving instructions.

Best job I have EVER had!!!

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pinger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a mother of 2 young boys (4 and 2.5) and ALL of management is very supportive of my choice to be a working mother
    All the BS isn't there which allows for a more productive and participate in an enjoyable work environment.
    Encouraged to bring ideas to the table and truly listened to
    I have never been in a work environment where I was not overloaded (doing the job of 2+). By having time it has allowed me to implement improvements that have helped during crunch time/driven efficiencies to better weather tight deadlines
    Very approachable and supportive boss who continues to allow me to grow and develop
    Team building and connectivity with the whole company is encouraged through Friday happy hours, summer picnic, quarterly outings
    Professional development and continued training is forefront for Pinger and evident in their lunch and learns, trainings performed by consultants, etc.
    By far the most laid back place I have worked. If I wanted could wear flip flops and jeans every day to work
    Was able to experience by first launch and launch party - very exciting time that yielded a top 4 in the store ranking
    Benefits are very generous compared to other places I have worked, paid parking, monthly stipend for using my husbands benefits - definitely cater to employees being happy through a stocked fridge, packed kitchen with snacks, beer on tap, etc.
    Diverse workplace where all different types of people, backgrounds, departments and ages are able to collaborate
    Low turnover - lot of early/single digit employees (even outside exec team) are still here
    Can easily point to 3+ employees who were given opportunities outside what they were hired for (Ex: Office manager who is now in QA)

Cons

Can't really think of any. Again the best job I have had in the past 10+ years since I graduated college. Wish I would have found my way here earlier in my career.

Keep up the good work! You have been successful in making this a FABULOUS place to work!!

Great company, Great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pinger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate culture is open and fun .. no politics.. no big company BS
    Strong team with good attitudes. Everybody wants to succeed
    Solid VC backers and funding
    Compelling product ideas
    Hot market space
    Small work force so there are opportunities to learn and build experience... what you'd expect at a startup
    Meritocracy

Cons

Startup with limited resources so not every good idea gets done
    Occasionally there are some bad hires, but eventually it gets sorted out
    Competitors are fierce (Facebook, Whatsapp, Apple iMessage, Line)

A heck of a good small high tech startup

I have been working at Pinger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pinger is still small enough to have that startup feel. I know every single person in the company, and could grab any one of them in a hall to ask a question. The CEO knows my favorite color and my shoe size.

And at the same time, alongside the fun, staff are expected to also put Pinger first - if that means an occasional late night to help the big deploy, so be it.

There is also a sense of openness that's rare at this scale. Information is shared quite widely with everyone from execs to interns. The doors at this place are actually made of glass, along with the walls - wanna know what's going on? Just turn your head.

Cons

If you don't want to work particularly hard, it may get noticed after a while - this is a scrum house and you're gonna need to stand up each morning, explain what you actually got done yesterday and what you'll be doing today.

The regular trips to the beach for surf lessons can result in sunburn if you forget the right SPF.

If you didn't have a few disgruntled former employees posting here, it would mean you let them stay and ruin Pinger's fun hardworking honest open culture - don't regret it one minute. It's a sign you're doing it right.

Bad practices

I worked at Pinger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free snacks. They offer standard benefits that you can find in most small companies.

Cons

They encourage employees to tell on newer employees behind their backs. My boss was remote but he knew about the discussion I had across the cubicle with a colleague within hours. I checked with the colleague and they swore they didn't mention it. Kept happening repeatedly. Creepy.

I was so frustrated by this that I left in a few months.

Exodus

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pinger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open cubicles , close to restaurants.

Cons

This place has seen significant attrition over the last year with key people at all levels leaving.

I would be very cautious taking up a position here. If you must - do yourself a favor and please talk to ex-employees. Talk at-least to a couple if you can to form your own opinion. Unfortunately not many will give any feedback to management while leaving(for obvious reasons). But if they hear that you are planning to spend some of your precious time here while you have 100 other choices most of them will provide some feedback. You should be doing this anyways. For this company you can ignore this step only to regret it later.

Think long term. Create a truly open environment where star performers are appreciated.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Pinger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High energy, willing to experiment with new ideas, quite a diversity of technologies.

Lots of company sponsored outings, easy going people.

CEO is very open with issues, pulls the company together.

Cons

Occasionally challenging individuals, not at high levels of management.

Not for career development (House of Politics)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pinger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friday happy hour with beer on tap, employee bonding activities, comes with all the dental/visual/etc. benefits, lots of management hierarchy that has a potential in shaping the teams throughout the company

Cons

50-hour minimum work per week with weekends mandatory at product releases, family time is not appreciated, no space for career development, salary adjustment is not common across the company, not as many perks for the amount of work needed.

Small enough to enjoy the startup culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pinger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed my time here. I've never been a Dan of large conglomerate corporations. The CEO and other C level execs are within a 50 ft walk. CEO always has his for open.
    Management definitely seems to appreciate the folks and their talent.

Cons

It is in downtown SJ. Aside from the homeless, pot houses and just plain wackos, it's not all that bad.
    It's not immediately known what the proper procedure is to work towards advancing your career. In time I'm sure it will be more obvious. There is a dedicated HR person now who seems to be doing an excellent job.

Keep the small environment feel. Don't get too large. It still has the family feel and I like that a lot.

Chaos

I worked at Pinger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Start-up vibe, great benefits, great salary

Cons

Poor management, lack of credit where credit is due, not enough focus on making a good product

Pinger Photos