Pinkerton Government Services

Updated September 2, 2014
3.1

Kevin Sandkuhler

Bad business decisions

I have been working at Pinkerton Government Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to obtain a clearance

Cons

Business decisions have doomed what was once a proud company. One contract was just recently renewed with a 24% drop in cost. This subsequently caused employees in the field to have their pay cut back to pre-2010 levels. This was also a three year contract with NO annual raises. Needless to say employees are leaving the company at an alarming rate. Up o 50% turnover at some sites from July t0 October 2013.

You make your money off the uniforms in the field. That is the last place you need to be making cuts. At the same time you are losing officer all over the place you hire two new training gurus. How do you justify that?

I would like to have a job that is more challenging.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  New Carrollton, MD
    Current Employee - Security Officer in New Carrollton, MD

I have been working at Pinkerton Government Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really like working with my co-worker's and the enviroment.

Cons

not being able to live up to my full potential.

we need to have advancement and PTO time

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Nuclear Security  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Security in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Pinkerton Government Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay and flexible hours. Always opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Bad communication, payroll errors, and benefits not that great

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Employer however........

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at Pinkerton Government Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Job description and training are a great enhancement to anyone's resume due to the requirement of a federal security clearance.
    -Job is very straight forward and couldn't get much easier (Post Orders are excruciatingly detailed meaning if you mess up your at fault for not taking five minutes to refer to orders.
    -Fellow employees are some of the best I could ask for. Everyone looks out for you and never hesitates to explain something to you when asked. In fact they are more than happy to help out.
    -Supervisor, however a little off in right field at times, is one of the nicest people I've met being employed anywhere.
    -Job advancement. I have to explain this since I came in exactly a year to year and a half before my supervisor is planning to retire. Since other employees are part time or previously

Cons

-24hr staffing means around the clock shifts; although shifts are normally set.
    -Low man on deck gets 95% back shifts meaning if you had a life and friends you better post pone that for at least 5 years, especially if your co workers are younger.
    -Pay mistakes happen quite frequently, such as wrong rate (sometimes in your favor but never against) Can become rather disheartening when pay is 300 difference from check to check.
    -Human Resources is absolutely impossible to get a hold of..... as is finance departments, clerical departments, etc...... I've called after opening hours and phones were still set to closed for about an hour. Once I got through I had to go through several full mail boxes to get a oh I have no idea from someone in a completely different department when it was obvious they just asked the person I called (face to face no less who had just ignored repeated phone calls)

Keep up the great work. However, I can already see that management elsewhere in the company is no where as great as the management at this site. I would only recommend that orders be implemented with a much stronger hand since most employees have become far too complacent with their jobs.

Good company, poor regional management.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Plenty of training opportunities. 2 weeks paid vacation. Uniforms provided. Hourly rate slightly above average. Additional health and welfare benefit. No night shift and usually no weekends.
    Client is friendly and easy-going.

Cons

We are a too-small contingent assigned to a large corporation. 40 to 60 hour weeks. Understaffed.
    Generally ignored by PGS regional managers. No encouragement, only hear from them when they want something done or when they have a complaint. Local supervisor is under qualified.

Hire and assign regional managers with some people skills. And, promote only employees to supervisor that have, at the very least, the basic skills for the position.

There's a reason Pinkerton has stood the test of time

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture of professionalism is unparalleled. Pinkerton has a strong foundation built on a deep historical tradition of exemplary service.

Cons

There are none. Pinkerton employees rest easy knowing their service is valued and they will be compensated accordingly.

Continue to nurture the traditions of service your predecessors established, and you'll be around another couple of hundred years.

Good reputation but no room for advancement.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Laurel, MD

Pros

The pay is close to top of the line for security work. There are plenty of contracts which offer flexibility for shifts and work locations.

Cons

No room for advancement and the management almost always goes outside the company to hire someone, rather than promote within. Officers usually never get raises unless it's built into a contract.

Promote from within.

pros & cons of this company

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Chantilly, VA

Pros

good work environment,decent pay.raises every 6 months.

Cons

benefits,officers are not represented fairly,

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Springfield, VA

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services

Pros

Pay is above average than most unarmed place.
    advancement opportunity is there if you are good with management and other officers.

Cons

Advancement is not secure.
    You can get cut any time and go back to the bottom
    Better than receiving unemployment.

Be more upfront with your supervisors and instead of cutting them or demoting them maybe offering them other sites and don't embarrass them.
    Other than that the company and business is ok. Just that. It's all business.

It was fine.

Former Employee - On-call Receptionist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - On-call Receptionist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services

Pros

The Post Commander was very respectful and understanding. Even more so, while I was pregnant with my second child. He knew both my husband and I for a long time.

Cons

The HR representative wasn't very nice to me when I asked about something that I sent to me via e-mail. Her response was "Just read it."

The HR should be more empathetic towards the receptionists/guards. That way they have a more positive experience. A positive attitude towards other people goes a long way.

Worked for Pinkerton Government Services? Contribute to the Community!