Pinnacle Airlines
www.pncl.com Memphis, TN 5000+ Employees

Pinnacle Airlines Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014
Pinnacle Airlines – US – “ramp rainbow”

Ryan Gumm

Pros:
  • "You get flight benefits although they are less than you would expect"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Travel benefits thru Delta, that's it"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "lack of training, on line self study ,no time for OJT, lack of computers,"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Flight attendants and a first officer with any family qualify for food stamps, it is very shameful"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This is a bottom of the barrel airline. They work you until you quit if you can afford to do that.

Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou have flight benefits. If you do your job well you can do your job and not have management overseeing your day to day.

ConsYou have flight benefits but our seniority is awful. We are the last of the last to get a seat. We are below other company employees buddy passes and retirees. The company opted out of a better flight benefit package. We pay $50 a year to activate and there are no buddy passes. Parents can fly but they pay aprox .09 cents per mile. Other companies have buddy passes and parents fly with no fees. If I could I would go mainline. If I stayed regional I would choose SkyWest. I have met many of SkyWest flight crew and they are happy with the way they are treated. Ask any Pinnacle flight crew and I cannot say I am in the least bit confident you would get a complimentary response.

Pay for first officers and flight attendants are very poor. Flight attendants and a first officer with any family qualify for food stamps, it is very shameful. People should be payed a living wage in this country.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs in all industries in the United States, management is scandalously over payed. Workers are the first to take pay cuts and in a show of good faith and solidarity with the workers management should be the first place hefty cuts are made.

How I will never be treated again.

Pilot (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsIt was a place for a furloughed freight dawg to build some flight time in turbine aircraft, to be able to get some experience on a glass flight deck, and to learn how an airline should NOT be run.

ConsThese rednecks and corporate sycophants think that they're still flying 20 turboprops out of Memphis. It's no wonder that they fell apart when they were given an actual fleet of aircraft...the Norther Mississippi Flying Club was bound to screw that up. The only thing that holds this airline together is the employees on the line...the pilots, the FA's, the mechanics, and the agents pushing hard to get things done. It's not going to be long before Pinnacle is a bad memory...for a great number of people. And the reason it will be so is the people running the company...right into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out...go away...and never return. Get out of the airlines. You have proven yourselves incapable of even the most basic tenets of business in aviation. I'm done even caring about anything you say or do.

Great job for building FAR Part 121 Turbine Engine Experience so a Pilot Can move onto another job.

Pilot "Capt CRJ 200" (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsSome of the employees at Pinnacle Airlines are outstanding people who are a pleasure to work with. As a line Pilot, you are able to come to work, do your job and go home with little or no contact from Management. You are basically in charge of your own work day which gives a sense of freedom compared to working with other employers.

We have a new CEO, who seems to care and make a difference at Pinnacle Airlines.

ConsSince the Merger Northwest and Delta Airlines followed by the merger of Colgan and Mesaba Airlines there are not many Pros to working for Pinnacle Airlines Inc.

Pinnacle Pilots wages are barely industry average at the Regional Airline level and management is now looking for a permanent 5% pay cut from all Pilots and Flight Attendants who make anywhere from 15 to 20k per year.

Pilot and flight attendant schedules "lines" constructed poorly. There is no reason a Pilot should fly an aircraft for 7:59 minutes, with a 13:25 minute duty day after having only 9 hours on the ground with maybe 6 or 7 hours of sleep if they are lucky. Overall Pinnacle Airlines is not a safe operation and they exploit their current employees instead of hiring more pilots to run a safer operation with well rested crew members. This will not change until Pinnacle Airlines puts another aircraft into the ground due to Pilot Error caused by Fatigue.

In regards to Maintenance Issues, the company would rather defer an item and allow the aircraft to fly if it is legal, versus taking the time to ground the aircraft and remedy the issue. One example would be the Thrust Levers that are worn out causing the engines to spool up at different speeds causing tendencies to yaw, or other control issues during take-off and landing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with dignity and respect. Allow them to stay in nicer hotels with shorter duty days. Treat your employees like adults versus high school kids who need a chaperone. Pinnacle Crew members work very hard and should be paid much better than they currently are. If Pinnacle were a better place to work, employees would try much harder to save the company money and go out of their way a bit more when needed. Most important, Pinnacle needs to reduce the schedule load on their current employees. Any Scheduled duty period over 11 hours is not an acceptable way to do business.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

its a pretty good job

Detroit, MI

Prosit can e fun and the travel experiance is amazing it makes me wanna shout

Consi want to get paid i need some money so nothing personal but i have to find more green you know what i mean

Waste of Time.

Ground Service Agent (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsFast paced with good people.

ConsCompany less than honest with employees, didn't care about the operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job and manage.

Terrible Management, Horrible Treatment

Pilot (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsIt's an opportunity to get industry experience to MOVE ON. Other than management, the flight crews are alot of fun.

ConsManagement constantly makes terrible decisions jeopardizing the financial health of the airline. Money is constantly wasted throughout the operations. Benefits department staff is never ever helpful. Promotions are unfairly handed out. Evaluations are not fair, especially with certain indivuduals. The majority of the people in power from Chief pilot to Line Check Airman have found themselves in these positions because they do not qualify to get a job at a major airline.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome to the crew room with a clipboard, listen to the front line employees (pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and gate agents) on how the operation needs to be changed for the better. Hold pilot meetings monthly. Give everyone in the company an email address that they can recieve communication often from upper management (everyone is in the dark). Take away power from check airmen that pilots constantly have problems dealing with, this clearly lowers the morale of the airline. Lead with example. Consult other airlines that have high morale to see what are the little things that make a difference. The past 5 years has been a constant stream of management actions that have made all work groups furiously mad, that takes away synergy to deliver a quality product. Flight crews are focused on how terrible the management is, and not safely operating the aircraft.

A mess.. I hate not knowing if I will have a job next week.

ProsGood flight benefits
    Nice way to get your foot in the door of aviation

ConsNo respect for another person but themselves..
    No union or someone to fight for you..
    No help or new hires..
    No management skills in this Airline just family and friends looking out for one an another..
    No training just on the job experiences..
    No way to enjoy your job!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the program.. People are not robots.. The employees are the reason why we are in business.. Not management.. Communication is key where is yours?

get in, do your time and leave

A&P Pinnacle Airlines (Current Employee)

Pros1) work on commercial jets

2) speed over quality
      3) high turnover
      4) poor management
      5) base managers and foreman treat the mechanics like crap
      6) NO COMMUNICATION between any part of the company starting from the top and on down
      7) terrible training company (learn as you go, then get written up for not knowing enough)
      8) have to deal with the constant "hair on fire mentality"
      9) as of 2012 no more pay raises
    10) only incentives are "you got through the day without being written up", no bonuses (unless you work in Memphis HQ, then you do every quarter, at least
    11) lack of inventory of parts required to do daily fuctions
    12) "health benefits" *note sarcasm*
    13) expected to do way more than time permits, LOTS of cutting corners and lack of safety equipment.
    14) If you can't get a 3 hour job done in 1 we will replace you with someone that can
    15) doing procedures by the book optional
    16) Ramco computer system (logbook entries, inventory systems and etc.) is a nightmare at best
    I could continue but I'm getting sick of typing

Advice to Senior Managementremember where you came from. Spend a day on the line doing gate calls here in DTW in January when it's 10 degrees out with 25mph winds, then go inside at the end of your shift to be handed a piece of paper that informs you that you will not be receiving any more raises. After doing that, then come talk to me about what your goals are

The worst of the worst......

Maintenance (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsTravel benefits ....nothing else is worth it!!!!!!!

ConsManagement,Training,Cheap, No Communication, Parts=IMPRUDENT, Mechanics=RECKLESS

Advice to Senior ManagementPinnacle is one of the worst carriers I have ever worked for. Management is incompetent , rude and inattentive.

Not the worse but no where near the best

First Level Manager (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

Prosbasic flying benefit, much less then other

Conscheap company, do not value talent

Worked for Pinnacle Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pinnacle Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pinnacle Airlines CEO Ryan Gumm. All 104 reviews posted anonymously by Pinnacle Airlines employees.