Pinnacol

4.0

CEO

Exceeding Expectations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Fantastic work-life balance
    Company truly wants every person to succeed
    Culture is supportive, helpful and very friendly
    Benefits are very good

Cons

Lowry building is away from freeways making commute a little bit of a challenge
    Pace can be show for somebody coming from a fast paced environment

Do whatever necessary to keep Pinnacol at the top of Colorado work comp while maintaining the culture. It is second to none in the Denver area.

Was once a great place to work

Pros

Started out as a great company... Good benefits, amazing pension plan. Stable job, hardly any layoffs.

Cons

It used to be the culture that made this company. Now everyone is stressed out and over worked. Does anyone even know what the culture is anymore? Management just does not get it. There is no trust and there are too many changes happening. As a result we are losing talent. People, including myself, are staying for the pension.

Listen to your employees at all levels, there is too much going on at one time. The majority of people in the company are looking for a job, or will be once they hit their service years.

Overall, a well put together company that employs people who care about their work and the people they work with.

Pros

-Work-life balance
    -Friendly co-workers
    -Great tone at the top

Cons

-Not a high potential for growth

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, stable and friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Since graduating from college ten years ago, I've had several employers. I've been at Pinnacol for the last three years, and they'll have to fire me to get me to leave. They treat their employees incredibly well, from incentives to participate in a wellness program to solid benefits to great educational opportunities. My supervisor is confidence-worthy and knows how to manage a team, and I'm surrounded by very talented people.

Cons

Workers' comp is not the most sexy industry to be a part of, and the company took some hits to its reputation that it is still trying to repair.

Management is changing right now, and we're optimistic about the future.

They Keep Asking for Feedback, Yet Nothing is Ever Done With it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Benefits (time off is generous), my immediate team, wellness program, employees do believe in helping injured workers get the care they need.

Cons

The future of the company is not known so employees seem to be uneasy. Management is not doing a good job of selling how separating from the state of Colorado would be good for employees. It seems like we would just be losing PERA, which is a big reason why so many employees have worked there for 20-30 years. Although the time off is generous, most people can't take the time off because there is too much work and not enough employees (do more with less).

I have just finished responding to the 10th employee survey in the past several years. We used to get the results and executives and teams would need to come up with action plans to work on things. It seems like when they started to not like getting the feedback, they stopped reporting it. Employees see right through this. Stop asking employees for feedback when you don't want to change what your doing.

As far as a wonderful place to work, Pinnacol is one of the best kept secrets in Colorado

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

People care about what they are doing and they care about each other. We work in teams that really live up to the term. We have all the resources necessary to be very good at what we do. Pinnacol is a Colorado-based company with its headquarters in Denver so wehave all the corporate resources that most companies in Colorado have at their headquarters out of state.

Cons

As a quasi-public company with some ties remaining to the state there is sometimes political confusion and media scrutiny that impacts us but by and large morale remains very strong.

Pinnacol reallsy has earned its recognition as one of America's Best Places to Work!

Current Employee - General  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General in Denver, CO

Pros

Great people who take their work seriously and are committed to doing a great job and delivering outstanding service to our customers.

Cons

Sometimes to move two steps forward the company still has to take a step back. It would be nice to just take the two steps forward.

Be careful with changes to the company. There is a tremendous amount of things that are "right" about the company, and changes should be made cautiously to not make things worse.

Pinnacol the best COMPANY to work for in COLORADO, we don't pay well, but you will love your job....

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Denver, CO

Pros

The paid time off and the employees I work with. It is like working with one big happy disfunctional family where everyone does a GREAT job, but their is always a cousin you would like to kick out. The company let's you work from home and management has been the best to work with in my entire career in insurance. Just LOVE Pinnacol....

Cons

Location, location, location.... Trying to get to work is not the easist.

keep up the good work and increase the tution reinbursement to $10,000 a year. When was the last time anyone in Sr. Management took college classes???? It's not cheap....

Pinnacol has earned its recognition as a "great place to work".

Current Employee - Operations  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO

Pros

Pinnacol has come a long, long way since it's days as a former state agency and is now at a point where it can legitimately compare itself to some of the best companies to work for both locally and nationally. Work is work, but as an employer Pinnacol is the best I have worked for and I hope that will continue to be the case.

Cons

Some lack of definition surrounding the company mission has lead to some uncertain leadership at the higher management levels. For folks where money (base salary) is the most important thing Pinnacol may not be the right fit. We are paid decently, have a strong bonus program, outstanding retirement benefits, and great life/work balance, but if its just about the money, probably not the right place for you.

Clearer definition regarding company mission.

Great Company

Pros

Pinnacol is an innovative, stable company. They offer many employee perks such as: a great tuition reimbursement program, on-site wellness classes, a gym, and are very focused on wellness for both their employees and policyholders.

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement. Is leaning towards more or a 'spreadsheet management' style.

Reinstate the more family friendly flexible work schedules.
    Promote and demonstrate the ideals that were in place between 2005 and 2010 when Pinnacol was rated as a one of the best companies to work for by: Parent's Magazine, the Great Place to Work Institute, ColoradoBiz Magazine and AARP.

Worked for Pinnacol? Contribute to the Community!