Pinstripe Reviews

Updated May 5, 2014
3.4

Pinstripe Founder & CEO Sue Marks
Sue Marks

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about Pinstripe is the company culture. The management team cares about the overall success and happiness of the employees. It's a fast-paced, changing environment, and they provide a lot of opportunities for flexible work arrangements. Most people love working here, so it's a very positive environment.

Cons

The compensation is competitive, but the benefits package could be better.

Ever Changing

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Younger workforce. It's easy to find co-workers with similar interests. Room for advancement. New technology. Nice executive team. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Managers do not always have the best management skills. Training is lacking in this area. If you perform well you can be a leader/manager. It’s not so much based on your ability to be a good or effective leader of the internal team. Employees of the same level are not always treated the same or given the same tools. This is being improved upon but there is still quite a ways to go. Pay seems average to a bit on the lower end based on the level of responsibility. Lack of consistency across teams in regards to expectations.

Show your appreciation in, monetary form, to the fact that many people are working long hours with not always being noticed by their leader. Give everyone the same access to technology.

Keep it up Pinstripe, your competitors thank you!

Current Employee - Worker Drone  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Worker Drone in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have met some of the most amazing people in my time at Pinstripe. For the most part, you will never work with more passionate, hardworking, driven people. Employees refer friends, and because of that like-minded attitude and personality, everyone really succeeds and gets along, with the help and support of eachother on that level. Pinstripe also does well to provide excellent training in multiple HR areas. However, if you are on a team that is constantly underwater, good luck finding an hour to attend those trainings. Alot of people stay with Pinstripe solely because of the friends they have made. When you're not crying or throwing up in the bathroom, due to stress, its a fun place to be with people you genuinely enjoy being around.

Cons

You can forget about any kind of work-life balance. Depending on what team youre on, managers push an incredible amount of work from their plates on to recruiters' and TACs'. Because they basically groom people from entry level, they pay you a very basic low starting salary for Recruiters, because you dont know any better, or what the average is across the market. Those "substantial" bonuses they pay out twice a year.. Pinstripe is incredibly smart in the way its broken down. You get your review...3 months later you get your bonus paid out...then another 3 months later you get the next part of the bonus..and well, then you might as well suffer another 3 months for the rest of the bonus and so on and so on. Then you kick yourself for staying yet another year for a measly few grand, when you could be with another company making another 10K a year (or more), and not killing yourself for it.

When you actually have a valid issue or want to discuss pay, workload, (the fact that people are crying and throwing up in the bathroom)...there's no one to go to. Your managers are overworked as well, and again, dont care because you're basically proving their poor management. The 3 people in HR could care less. They are Pinstripe puppets and are just astounded that you could ever think this place is anything less than the best place on earth!

Does anyone in HR or leadership at Pinstripe even read these? You're missing some really great points of how to improve your organization and, more so, your reputation. How many more incredibly valuable employees do you have to lose before you realize something needs to be changed? Management will kiss up to you when they're desperate, and turn their back on you the minute your "career path" inconveniences their team or their work in any shape, way, or form. I have never seen such behavior when a coworker takes a position elsewhere. Ive seen people loyal to Pinstripe for 5 years or more pushed to the absolute edge where they cant take it anymore find a great job elsewhere, shunned and treated as though they've personally betrayed the Pinstripe "family".

Also, HR, please stop painting the fairytale "career paths" within Pinstripe and thats the road you would like us to ultimately see us on. We see what our managers are put through, and the fact that hey barely get to see their kids, or have time to eat lunch... Guess what? We dont want to be them!

My advice to management- Keep treating your employees the way you do, your competitors and all the other recruiting firms in town THANK YOU for it! Thanks to my work eithic and you killing me for as long as you did, I'm taking that right across town to where they pay substantially more than you do, and actually appreciate the hard work.

My advice to current employees-Set in your mind what the absolute worst is and once they do that to you, have the guts to get out! Its not all sunshine and rainbows, here or anywhere (lets be honest), but no one deserves to cry at their desk because they're working under ridiculously unattainable deadlines, with no avail. There are companies out there that you can gain great knowledge, meet awesome people, and make great money! Pay attention! What you see happening to your friends around you? You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, and they'll do the same to you! When you do leave, be prepared for some garbage story that they're worried "you're taking a step back in your career", but rest assured that hundreds of ex-Pinstripers will prove otherwise and that they're doing just fine :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible company growth

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time

Pros

The client teams take on the culture of their client making it easier to be invested in what you do. The proprietary technology and access to other tech is impressive. In many business units leadership is highly experienced and knowledgeable. The company has grown exponentially since its inception. Compensation is fair if not higher than average. You get what you pay for. PTO is good. 401k match returned and is standard. Training is available for just about anything. Want to be a recruiter...there is an internal university for that. There is a large remote employee base so you don't have to live here to work here. Transferring internally offers more learning and engagement if you are seeking that. There are many really good people who work here.

Cons

Benefits have decreased. In a company that supports a large number of healthcare clients I would expect better and less expensive medical insurance. There is a surcharge if you want to cover your spouse when their employer offers benefits. You cannot add additional life insurance units at open enrollment easily. STD is available but expensive.
    Work life balance is a challenge. Every client team is different and the contracts drive structure of the teams. Profit margins are expected to be higher than average. Teams are structured accordingly. High performing employees with high level of work ethic are burning out. Newly trained recruiters are less expensive and a potential replacement for the more expensive and experienced staff. Expectations for keeping up with technology and all the extras is overwhelming when the first priority is filling positions.

Remember that your employees are what drive your success financially. Be mindful of qualifiers..."we are doing great, but....". The positive intent turns negative because it implies that nothing is ever good enough.

It's been okay.

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great customer service attitude.

Cons

Leadership shows up for company meetings and that's the only time you see them. The account management for many accounts micromanages to the point of insisting on being copied on every email. They don't tell the client no, even when the request is unreasonable. The administrative tracking is a nightmare. At any one time, you can have three or four "trackers" that have to be updated daily.

At some point, this company has to decide if they are paying recruiters to recruiter, or to fill out trackers and do other busy work. The administrative tasks can easily take up to two hours a day.

Recenlty threw the entire company into a high deductible health plan with no notice, with deductibles and out of pocket expenses so high, there is a potential to bankrupt people.

Lessen the administrative burden on your recruiters. Trackers with 15 tabs and 50 columns per tab are overkill. It's okay to tell the client no on occasion, just have an alternate plan to present.

Reconsider this health insurance debacle. Employees should not have to decide whether to eat or get their prescriptions filled.

I have had a wonderful experience at Pinstripe. It is a STAND OUT company!

Current Employee - Lead Recruiter
    Current Employee - Lead Recruiter

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time for less than a year

Pros

People! The number one reason to join the Pinstripe team is the people. You are given the best tools in the industry and unlimited grow opportunities. If you have a passion - Pinstripe will help you get there!

Cons

I don't feel there are any cons at Pinstripe. I feel that if you have the desire to work hard and put forth the effort you are given ample opportunities.

The best advice I have for management is continue with your focus on your employees! I greatly appreciate the fact that you are listen to the employees and make the virtual employees feel very included!

Review

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter

I worked at Pinstripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good technical information for sourcing and Recruiter. Great set of co - workers

Cons

Disorganized and unclear leadership

Not perfect, but the effort should be appreciated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Pinstripe for just over a year. With every company that is comprised of hundreds of employees, there are positives and negatives. The best about Pinstripe? Flexible schedule, growth opportunities (some management began as recruiters), complete and utter transparency as it pertains to overall business performance - client wins and losses are communicated; there is no sugarcoating, recruitment teams genuinely enjoy working together, internal communication and engagement are encouraged, bi-annual bonuses (substantive), competitive salary (I previously worked 50 hours per week on a $30K salary; this is NOT that - you have the chance to build a life as well as a career), jeans' days, charitable work - often and substantial (Make a Wish, etc.), internal training programs to help build careers, inordinate amount of free coffee, treats, luncheons.

Perhaps the best "Pro" is that Pinstripe continuously offers internal training programs to help build your skills, competencies and qualifications. Mostly to help you perform better at work, but also to help you grow your career. If you're unhappy at Pinstripe, you now have the tools to move elsewhere. As a young professional or somebody looking to make a move, for whatever reason, what more can you ask for?

Again, not perfect. But having "been there and done that," I can honestly say you will find yourself much more appreciated and respected at Pinstripe than 95% of other organizations.

Cons

Recruitment teams work tirelessly to meet stringent SLAs and individual goals; leadership reaps the majority of rewards. At least, that is the perception. Everyone has the opportunity to earn bonuses, train for growth, voice opinions and be the individual you want to be (decorate your office space, social media freedom, etc.), but they do not always feel valued for the hard work they put in.

Pinstripe is growing incredibly fast, and current, ancillary staff can feel forgotten and unimportant at times.

I disagree that idea generation and personal opinion is not encouraged, but there is a feeling that you are expendable. But this is a result of the amount of performance transparency - which can and should be viewed as a positive.

Pinstripe has gone global, and business has never been better. Please, management, don't forget the "small" people who pour their heart and souls into the success of your company.

Overall, Pinstripe is an excellent place to work, despite a few flaws in the system.

Great place to work, dont let the negative reviews scare you away.

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Pinstripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

I read the reviews before accepting my position at Pinstripe and it honestly made me think about what I was getting into. I did decide to take the job and it was the best life decision I have ever made. The company is extremely appreciative and when you do a good job or help someone out you hear about it. There is also room for growth and advancement if you are willing to work for it. The company is willing to spend the money and supplies it's employees with whatever tool is needed. I have loved every second of working for Pinstripe. There is a reason why Pinstripe is an industry leader. I do understand the culture at Pinstripe isn't for everyone. It's unlike any place I have ever worked. Dont let the negative reviews scare you. If you have the opportunity to be employed by Pinstripe take that step.

Cons

I do not have any Cons to give.

Fun.......until you have an opinion or issue.

Current Employee - Interview Specialist  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Interview Specialist in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Pinstripe for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a fun and YOUNG environment suitable for college kids. It offers a lot of flexibility with scheduling depending on your team. They offer treats after meetings (Used to be champagne). In theory, the company's values are awesome.

Cons

After a certain point you start to notice the undesirable behaviors such as favoritism and high school cliques. The turn over rate is high. Some recruiters treat interviewing specialist like second class citizens. Some recruiters have the slightest clue what they are doing. Some teams are really organized and ran efficiently while others, mostly those with majority remote employees, have no clue. The right hand never knows what the left is doing. The company will tell you that they promote from within but it's not true. They require recruiters to have 5 years of prior experience and will not think of promoting someone into that role from an interviewing specialist.

Management should not be remote is their entire team is in other locations. They aren't able to properly manage and rely a lot of hearsay as opposed to checking with the employees themselves regarding their workload.

Worked for Pinstripe? Contribute to the Community!