Pinterest Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.2
Ben Silbermann

1. Big impact. Rewarding work. Best company in SF.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pinterest (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fast-paced environment with emphasis on getting things done - Lots of opportunity for career advancement. Pinterest prioritizes employee development and there's fluidity throughout the org, so no one gets "stuck" in one role/team - High impact across the board. Ratio of users to employees is awesome. My individual work influences millions of people everyday - Authentic, humble culture. People are incredibly nice and sincere

Cons

- Open office, so it's easy to get distracted with fun people and activities around all the time - No hot breakfast

2. growing pain

Pros

- great product potential. - fun product. - lots and lots of loyal users

Cons

- founders are not engineers, - engineering leaders mixed quality. - lack of prioritization, many working on low impact projects

Advice to Management

- reduce overhead/dependencies/low priority projects. - separate good managers/leads from mediocre ones.

3. Engineering culture sucks

I have been working at Pinterest full-time

Pros

The company tries to have fun events from time to time (such as a company-wide conference).

Cons

There is not much flexibility in the work for engineers. Also, there is very little chance to work on something that is very impactful. Poor engineering quality compared to more engineering-driven companies such as Google, Facebook, or Twitter.

Opinions of pinterest from a former pinployee

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing talent, fast pace, awesome CEO, great potential in the market, cool technology stack, fun environment, employees well cared for.

Cons

Bad upper management (but not the CEO, he's awesome), chronic disorganization, internal politics are completely opaque, very young workforce lacks some degree of insight.

6. So far, I love it here.

Current Employee - Somewhere In Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Somewhere In Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart people - Good work-life balance. - Lots of interesting (both in a good way and a bad way) things to work on. - Tremendous upside both intellectually and financially. - The product is actually cool once you cast off the stereotype that it's just for middle-aged white women in Kansas.

Cons

- Food is average at best - No gym - Onboarding process for new engineers needs work, but it's getting better. - Company plan for shedding the initial stereotypes is not clear. - The office floor plan / open layout / lighting sucks. - There are some stupid political undertones brewing in the engineering org. I suppose that's inevitable, though, as the company grows.

Advice to Management

- Trying to do too many things at once will lead you to doing none of them successfully.

What I came to the Bay looking for

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a truly unique atmosphere at Pinterest. With one of the cofounders being a designer, and the company heavily invested in engineering, it is equal parts creativity and data. As we scale out and grow internationally, the team is filling up with high-talent engineers from Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Google, etc. I came from none of the above. As an engineer, one of the cool new features of on-boarding is being able to choose what division of the company you want to work for (Platform, Growth, Monetization, etc). The company constantly seeks to foster creativity. For example, I thought of an idea of an automated tool that would save lots of time, so I spent the next week building out a prototype and then demoing it in front of the entire company at our Friday Q&A. Bring your ideas! But what I love the most, is the purposeful lack of holier-than-thou employees. The Bay Area is full of them, and we avoid them like the plague. At Pinterest you find unnaturally intelligent, yet humble and likable people trying to build a product to make people's lives better. Of course the pay is competitive, the equity is enticing, and the office is rad.

Cons

Sometimes the food isn't that great. Those days I just eat less and play more foosball (its competitive).

Hands down the best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-I bring my authentic self to work and I genuinely love being there every day. -My ideas are heard, big or small -I'm making an impact in a way I was never able to at larger companies and with a company that I believe WILL BE massive. I get to help it get there. Insane. Once in a lifetime. -The people are warm, funny, humble and smart as hell -I learn and grow and get better personally and professionally every day that I'm here. I couldn't say that before I came to Pinterest. -It's collaborative. -It's fun. We laugh a lot while managing to get a ton accomplished. -Diversity is of huge importance and continues to be a top priority.

Cons

If I had to think of a con, I'd say that we aren't yet in a position to match on 401k but I expect that to change as the company grows and becomes profitable.

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've been working here for a year now, and a full-time female engineer, and I have so many positive things to say - awesome working environment. everyone is really friendly, helpful, and intelligent yet humble - intelligent engineering - very unique data set: the interest graph of connections millions of users to billions of objects - great opportunity for career growth - use data to make decisions - huge impact (engineering to user ratio) - always innovating: when a process is slow/lacking, improvements are made in a timely manner - great vision - users love our product and so do I (honestly, that makes a huge difference!) - transparent about upcoming features, company direction, etc. - always analyzing, getting feedback and trying to improve - dedicated staff to diversity and inclusion - lots of other fun perks! I love coming into the office everyday and working on really interesting technical challenges.

Cons

Would love to see more female engineers join the company.

10. Best place so far

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, friendly co-workers, opportunities to make a difference.

Cons

As with all tech companies I've worked for, sometimes you spin your wheels waiting for other teams.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great work life balance, especially compared to other startups in the valley (looking at you Uber) * Very high potential. Pinterest can monetize users extremely well since it knows their interests and can deliver targeted advertising. It also has strong user traction and is on track to surpass Twitter in terms of U.S. MAUs sometime in the next year. Based on that Pinterest could easily be at a 30B+ valuation in a couple years * Not any politics. The culture is friendly and collaborative and there has not been any politics that I've seen * Company puts a big emphasis on getting feedback from employees about what is working and what isn't & then acting on that feedback * Leadership team is very transparent. There is a weekly Q&A with the CEO and bi-weekly lunches where the leadership team presents high level strategy.

Cons

* Company is spread across multiple buildings which makes it hard to meet people outside of your org (i.e. engineering, partners, etc) * They have equity refreshes (which is awesome), but the difference between the refresh for top performers and average performers is negligible (which is bad if you're a top performer)

RSS Feed </> Embed