Pinterest

4.5

Ben Silbermann

Fantastic Place to Work! Lots of Challenges

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fairly small company. Big problems! There are a large amount of data waiting to be processed and discovered.

Cons

The company is growing super fast that sometimes I don't know what the organizational structure of the company looks like.

Freaking awesome so far... love the people, love the founders and love my coding heavy job

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Whenever I hear Ben speak, I am amazed at his ability to inspire me and have a great sense of satisfaction working at the company.

Cons

Growing pains. But I am learning a lot and count my blessings every day that I get to learn so much from so many smart people, get paid doing it, get great food and perks, and when there are bumpy times i always remember 'a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor'.

Believe. Awesome vision.

A good job if you value your non-work life

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Relatively sane environment in terms of infra
    Great work life balance. They don't keep track of vacation which can cause problems but most people take what they need.
    Not much politics for the worker bees.

Cons

Not the best salary and direction can be lacking at times.
    A good bit of turnover in upper management.
    The food is nothing amazing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Amazing Product, but Toxicity Levels are High

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Pinterest is an amazing product that can deliver a lot of value to people - and a lot of people have figured this out.
    - Plan for monetization looks solid.
    - "Rands" seems like a solid hire to help solve the cultural problems.

Cons

- So many conflicting directions: Quarterly Goals, Various Company Wide Initiatives
    - Certain teams are balancing both waterfall and agile methodologies
    - Golden Handcuffs keep a lot of unhappy people working there.
    - Lack of diversity on a lot of teams. More female engineers than at a lot of other places, but not enough especially for our demographic.
    - A lot of people in upper management positions have done things not in the interest of Pinners or Pinterest to be where they are.
    - Authenticity is a core company value, but speaking your mind gets you on the ____lists.
    - Not enough investment in Engineers

- Have your engineers really vet who their managers are.
    - Invest in the people who work there.
    - A liquidity event shouldn't be the main incentive to work at Pinterest.

Best company I've worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people here are smart, passionate, and nice. The culture is collaborative and there are tons of possibilities for impact, learning, and growth. The leadership team recognizes the value of a strong culture and have significantly invested in our people, particularly compared to other companies at our stage.

Cons

Sometimes we could move faster than we do. Given the collaborative culture, there's a balance to strike between discussion and debate and decision and action. We can improve in this area, though I think that progress is already underway.

Continue investing in people. Push decision making down and give people the freedom to run.

Work with great people on a product that users LOVE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Lots of top talent
    - Lots of challenging engineering, product, and design problems to solve
    - Amazing culture
    - CEO is already outstanding and getting better.
    - Huge upside for both your career and financial situation

Knowing people at other companies at a similar stage (Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, Square...), there is no better place to work than Pinterest.

Cons

It's a startup, so things change quickly. Don't be surprised if the thing you're working on today isn't what you're working on tomorrow. The company doesn't deal with low performers quickly enough and coddles creative types too much.

Manage out low performers as quickly as possible - it's better for them, their entire team, and the whole company.

5 stars to the product and the people working here. 3 starts to the board. Overall 4 stars

Pros

Pinterest is a great product. I believe it will change people's life. That's why I am still working here.

Cons

The board kept raising fund for too many times. Many employees are frustrated because their shares were diluted severely in the last few rounds of fundraising. The cost to exercise options got higher too.............

Fast, fun, and growing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people are really top notch - I learn something every single day from my coworkers and am never afraid to ask for help. We have huge challenges and problems to solve but still have great growth and advancement opportunities. The work atmosphere is fun without being goofy. Also a strong respect for work-life balance despite the start-up atmosphere. Everyone works hard and pulls long hours when they need to, but we aren't in a constant state of emergency and there's no face-time requirement. Really entrepreneurial.

Cons

Lots of growth-stage issues - communication issues, occasional inefficiency, unclear responsibilities. However this is part of working at a start-up, especially in this stage. Overall I think we're doing great.

Need to better articulate our vision for the platform and the company. There's a lot of opportunistic work going on instead of a clear strategy forward.

The best startup I can choose for the current time, better than Airbnb or Square, though some chaos.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Best place to learn stuffs.
    Newly started revenue, so promising.

Cons

Except stocks, all other compensation are not good -- low salary, no free parking, not tasty food

less re-org, less politics, less founder projects.

An amazing place for impact and personal growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer, Web  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer, Web in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Teams are small and the area of ownership is large. Example: Web, iOS, and Android teams have only ~5 Engineers each.
    - Technology decisions are still evolving, and you have opportunity to guide the direction. Example: recently-created service written in Go, some teams experimenting with Erlang.
    - Pinterest doesn't yet have a strong engineering brand, so engineers are encouraged to give community talks and open-source.
    - Passionate about a certain area like "build tools" or "performance"? You can lead an a cross-functional "X-Team" to drive progress in that area.
    - "Make-a-thons" where there's an explicit goal of shipping a certain number of projects created during the event.
    - Product metrics are moving in the right direction, and the future of the company looks bright.

Cons

- For engineers, on-call duty is not fairly distributed.
    - We've been without a VP of Engineering for several months.
    - A year ago, everyone knew each other's names. Not true any more.

Worked for Pinterest? Contribute to the Community!