Pioneer Corporation Reviews

1. Good technology, not so good planning

Former Employee - Software Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Pioneer Corporation

Pros

Interesting technology and a challenging work environment

Cons

Very poor upper management choices in dealing with time-lines and realistic feature sets.

Advice to Management

Adopt a more realistic approach to determining what can and cannot be achieved.

2. Please Don't Work Here

Former Employee - Senior Credit and Collections Specialist in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Credit and Collections Specialist in Carson, CA

I worked at Pioneer Corporation

Pros

Very good employee discounts on Pioneer products.
    Decent benefits for the size of the company.
    Flexible work schedules.

Cons

I worked for the division of Pioneer North America called Pioneer Business Solutions, which is their shared services company. Working for PBS comes with a lot of downsides because you act as a vendor to the other Pioneer companies and are graded by people in those companies (they literally fill out a survey about you and your department).

My biggest complaint about Pioneer is about my direct supervisor who treated me with absolute disrespect every day. While this shouldn't reflect on Pioneer as a whole, I did bring this to the attention of more senior managers without satisfactory resolution.

My second biggest complaint is about how Pioneer (specifically PBS) measured job success. There were monthly goals and reviews. Many of the goals were very hard to reach, yet your bonus was based on meeting these goals. Some of the goals were unfair because they were so unrealistic (i.e. rarely or never acheived by anyone prior). They were also non-negotiable.

Lastly, morale was awful. Most of our departmental meetings were gripe-fests. People seemed generally unhappy about how management was doing things.

Advice to Management

My experience with Sr. Management was limited. The VP of my department was a very smart and nice person to work with. I didn't have much contact with anyone above him. I didn't like many of their decisions regarding employee reviews.

3. Work at PIoneer at Shanghai

I worked at Pioneer Corporation

Pros

The location is really good. It's in center of Shanghai.

Cons

It's an outsourcing company, which means employee doesn't have the same benefit. And you have a lot of work to do, which means you frequently need over times with no pay.