Pioneer Investment Management

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Daniel K. (Dan) Kingsbury

1. Solid company with competitive investment products and great people.

Former Employee - Management in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a well structured and well run company with plenty of room for business and employee growth. It fosters a collegial environment where ideas for improvement are well received and promoted. I found the compensation package overall satisfactory.

Cons

It's owned by UniCredit Group (a large European bank) and considering the recent economic mayhem in Europe, it would be a concern should there be any spillover effect. However, it should be noted that UniCredit has been managed quite well during the preceding global economic crisis.

2. Business Development

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management

Pros

Good people and institutional knowledge.

Cons

A lot of changes recently - most impactful merger transaction with lack of clarity on when and what direction the company is heading in.

Advice to Management

More frequent and transparent communication.

Decent Place to Work, Depending on the Department

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, certain departments offer good work-life balance, some managers are very good, great location on State Street right at Faneuil Hall.

Cons

Pioneer has a track record of offering poor salaries, settling for mediocre talent and hoping for a few diamonds in the rough to stay with the company. Pioneer displays poor communication, especially from Human Resources department, low salary, and short staff due to several workforce reductions in past years. There is also an unstable environment; pending merger is public record.

Advice to Management

Improve salary to keep best performers at Pioneer and to attract the best talent. Provide better communication and stop pushing raises (when they are actually given) out further and further every year.

5. Pretty good depending on which department and which manager.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and positive overall culture.

Cons

No enough opportunity for advancement in (IT).

6. I experienced a long, rewarding career with plenty of opportunities to grow professionally.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture with strong work/life balance. Great group of smart, dedicated colleagues who strive to make Pioneer a employer of choice.

Cons

Foreign parent company didn't for autonomy. A lot of parent company CEO turnover didn't allow for a consistent strategic message both internally and tot he external marketplace.

Advice to Management

Be more visible to and mindful of your associates.

7. Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Contractor - Web Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Web Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team: I was brought on as a consultant with the Online Marketing Department. It was a great team. I really liked my boss, he was positive and encouraging and always appreciative. Project Quality: While there will always be some bureaucracy, the quality of the projects I was assigned was pretty high. Unlike many previous jobs, I felt like most of what I did was worth doing. Location: I consider this the best location in Boston. Just a few minutes walk from any T line. The back door of 60 State is Quincy Market. There are high-end bars and take-out lunch restaurants all over the place. Social Events: I was at Pioneer for 4 months, and I think there was a free beer/wine night about once a month. Activism: As a consultant, I didn't indulge, but there were regular opportunities for group volunteering. It seemed like there was an active culture of community involvement.

Cons

As is typical in a large, old company, there are a lot of management that would rather philosophize endlessly than make decisions. That combined with project deadlines was probably the only real hardship. I did work some crazy late nights to compensate, but it wasn't the norm.

Advice to Management

Adequate time, resources, and personnel will ensure better execution of big initiatives.

Good Benefits, Sales and Investments Focused, Weak Compensation Packages

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Great Benefits, smaller company with access and exposure to many areas of the firm especially if you are in Sales and Marketing. Great Location. Mid level mgmt is good. The employees all really like each other.

Cons

Weak Compensation Packages - If you are not an external wholesaler plan for the expectations that you are a sales professional without the benefits of a sales-type income. Lack of direction, and leadership from upper management team.

9. Company that cares about their workers..

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work/life balance; company truly cares about the well-being of their employees.

Cons

low wages and not a lot of career opportunities within the firm.

10. Great place to work, good people, energetic sales environment

Current Employee - Regional Sales Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management

Pros

Pioneer motivates and incentivizes its employees to strive to high standards. Good people, honest place to work and to grow

Cons

Opportunity for growth is somewhat limited, not a large amount of cross pollination among different departments within the organization, small company

11. Great career development, boring job

Current Employee - Risk Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Risk Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management

Pros

A very personable group of people work at Pioneer. HR does a good job nurturing young talent and training was very well appreciated. One gets to interact with upper management occasionally, and good work is often rewarded.

Cons

The work itself was quite boring. There are few chances for creative problem solving. A lot of it was reconciling between two different departments.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Try and challenge your employees to solve problems in a more dynamic and creative way.

RSS Feed </> Embed