Pioneer Investment Management Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
30 reviews filtered by
3.6
Daniel K. (Dan) Kingsbury

1. Solid company with competitive investment products and great people.

Former Employee - Management in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a well structured and well run company with plenty of room for business and employee growth. It fosters a collegial environment where ideas for improvement are well received and promoted. I found the compensation package overall satisfactory.

Cons

It's owned by UniCredit Group (a large European bank) and considering the recent economic mayhem in Europe, it would be a concern should there be any spillover effect. However, it should be noted that UniCredit has been managed quite well during the preceding global economic crisis.

2. Decent Place to Work, Depending on the Department

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, certain departments offer good work-life balance, some managers are very good, great location on State Street right at Faneuil Hall.

Cons

Pioneer has a track record of offering poor salaries, settling for mediocre talent and hoping for a few diamonds in the rough to stay with the company. Pioneer displays poor communication, especially from Human Resources department, low salary, and short staff due to several workforce reductions in past years. There is also an unstable environment; pending merger is public record.

Improve salary to keep best performers at Pioneer and to attract the best talent. Provide better communication and stop pushing raises (when they are actually given) out further and further every year.

It's a Dinosaur

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management

Pros

Great culture. Good benefits.

Cons

Upper management is double A at best. Has a very European lazy culture. No innovation and unwilling to invest in the people which are the assets.

Invest in people and change out the management.

5. Great place to get your feet wet in the Mutual Fund industry

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits (health insurance, life insurance, short term and long term disability, 401K, additional retirement investment that does not come out of your pocket, 2 weeks paid vacation, 6 sick days from the beginning) Good environment

Cons

Pay is not very competitive with other companies. Absolutely no room for growth and advancement.

Good experience but lack of growth opportunities.

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management

Pros

Nice people, good leadership and strong products. Location is good and so are benefits. Nice working environment.

Cons

Mid-size player that can struggle to compete with big players on resources. Few growth opportunities once you hit management.

More mentoring and career pathing across the organization.

7. Pretty good depending on which department and which manager.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and positive overall culture.

Cons

No enough opportunity for advancement in (IT).

8. I experienced a long, rewarding career with plenty of opportunities to grow professionally.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture with strong work/life balance. Great group of smart, dedicated colleagues who strive to make Pioneer a employer of choice.

Cons

Foreign parent company didn't for autonomy. A lot of parent company CEO turnover didn't allow for a consistent strategic message both internally and tot he external marketplace.

Be more visible to and mindful of your associates.

Glass ceiling.

I worked at Pioneer Investment Management full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Office location/work-life balance.

Cons

Senior management stuck in the stone ages. Intent on preserving the status-quo.

10. Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Contractor - Web Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Web Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pioneer Investment Management as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great Team: I was brought on as a consultant with the Online Marketing Department. It was a great team. I really liked my boss, he was positive and encouraging and always appreciative.

Project Quality: While there will always be some bureaucracy, the quality of the projects I was assigned was pretty high. Unlike many previous jobs, I felt like most of what I did was worth doing.

Location: I consider this the best location in Boston. Just a few minutes walk from any T line. The back door of 60 State is Quincy Market. There are high-end bars and take-out lunch restaurants all over the place.

Social Events: I was at Pioneer for 4 months, and I think there was a free beer/wine night about once a month.

Activism: As a consultant, I didn't indulge, but there were regular opportunities for group volunteering. It seemed like there was an active culture of community involvement.

Cons

As is typical in a large, old company, there are a lot of management that would rather philosophize endlessly than make decisions. That combined with project deadlines was probably the only real hardship. I did work some crazy late nights to compensate, but it wasn't the norm.

Adequate time, resources, and personnel will ensure better execution of big initiatives.

Good Benefits, Sales and Investments Focused, Weak Compensation Packages

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Great Benefits, smaller company with access and exposure to many areas of the firm especially if you are in Sales and Marketing. Great Location. Mid level mgmt is good. The employees all really like each other.

Cons

Weak Compensation Packages - If you are not an external wholesaler plan for the expectations that you are a sales professional without the benefits of a sales-type income. Lack of direction, and leadership from upper management team.