Pioneer Natural Resources

Updated Mar 18, 2014

Pioneer Natural Resources Chairman and CEO Scott D. Sheffield

Scott D. Sheffield

Great experience at Pioneer

Senior Applications Analyst (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsExciting projects
Terrific people
Excellent benefits
Challenging work keeps you on your toes.

ConsCan be stressful, but rewarding once project is completed.
Sometime strategic goals of the company do not coincide with some of the tactical decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Unbelievable experience

Finance/Accounting (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Pioneer Natural Resources as an intern for less than a year

ProsWage, free lunch, moving stipend, free personal trainers, awesome employees, great place to work (#2 company in dallas)

Consno negatives to this company. Everything about it is awesome and the outlook of the company is very good as well

“looks good on paper”

Geoscientist (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at Pioneer Natural Resources full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay, Some very smart individuals working to merge technical ability with economic outcomes, Permian Basin asset and a Denver office. Work-life-balance and work environment can be tremendous, depending on department and middle-management. There are some very high quality managers in the company who are exceptional at navigating corporate chaff and maintaining focus on long term goals.

ConsManagement drives many inefficiencies and has a very top-down approach to career development. This heavily influences opportunities for career growth. Department specific tendency for some to become protective of their "areas of expertise". Increasingly uniform academic diversity. Communication within this company is exceptionally poor with some exceptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAutocratic perspectives and micromanagement abound. Take a bit more laissez faire approach and let your employees show you what they can do rather than dictate what they will do, and worst, what they are to discover.

Growing company that appreciates its employees and values cooperation while still encouraging intelligent risk-taking.

I have been working at Pioneer Natural Resources full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProvides plenty of training opportunities and supports employees who want to further their education at night. Flexible work schedule, good benefits package including employee stock purchase plan, 401(k) matching, and bonuses.

ConsWhen the price of oil fluctuates, projects can be shelved quickly, making for a very dynamic environment for planning. Uses a lot of contractors for areas outside of their main expertise which can provide unique challenges for support teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a good job, keep it up.

Best company i have ever worked for!

Procurement (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pioneer Natural Resources full-time for less than a year

Pros200% 401K match, up to 5% of salary. Take care of employees. Low premiums for medical insurance, company pays the majority. Rolled over years of service from previous company. Yearly Bonuses and Stock awards. Gym on Premises.

ConsI can not think of any at the moment, will update when one arises. less than a year of service with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Fantastic Benefits..typical office politics

I have been working at Pioneer Natural Resources full-time for more than a year

Prosbenefits are unbeatable... 200% matching 401k..tons of opportunities for raises, bonuses, and vacation

Consfavoritism for advancement and transfers

Management

Payroll (Current Employee)

ProsI enjoy what I do.

ConsNot enough staff for the size of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees concerns

Great company, Great culture

Operations Engineer (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Pioneer Natural Resources as an intern for less than a year

ProsOpen door policy with a great culture. Cares for employees.

ConsGoing through some growing pains

I did not feel as though my skills were utilized to their best potential.

Operator II (Former Employee)

I worked at Pioneer Natural Resources full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay Good hours and nice company vehicles.

ConsMy supervisor would not install a chemical system at a central battery system. during the winter the heater treaters and the circulation pumps were not enough to clean the oil in the pipeline correctly. I had to climb four tanks every day to pour chemical through the top. This is
waste of time and money. A chemical injection system would have saved time,money and overtime charges as well as helping sell clean oil through the lact system.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstalling chemical systems is a great way to help keep your oil clean enough to sell. al this provided that you have a skilled employee and chemical person to make sure that you are on the right track and not wasting money on the wrong chemical additives.

Best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Pioneer Natural Resources full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, mutual respect and trust between managers and employees, flex time, two on-site gyms, free healthy lunches at employee cafeteria, company matches $2 for every $1 invested in 401K.

ConsCompany has grown so much, that it takes a while to get to know your co-workers

Worked for Pioneer Natural Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pioneer Natural Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pioneer Natural Resources CEO Scott D. Sheffield. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Pioneer Natural Resources employees.